How would one Gain maritime employment with as little schooling as possible

I am wondering if theres is way ( for someone in the united states) to get into the maritime industry, with very minimal schooling, and money spent, or should I just enlist in the navy?

I have read extensively through past threads here, and have thought about it extensively myself, I am simply wondering if anyone has any suggestions of ways to do it, preferably I’d like to end up deck department, but I’d be willing to work anywhere, if its of any consequence, all I have is a high school education

I know theres no easy way in, I’m just looking for a way that involves the least amount of “academic/book-learning” schooling possible, and maximizes on the job training, I also know that the likely hood of getting employed is quite low even with years of experience or a load of degrees under your belt, but I figure theres still a need for basic labor at least, I’m interested to hear what you all have to say

Wait for it…

Any minute now…

MMD as OS, Twic, and the cost of printer paper for resumes and applications. Under $1k. IF you want to increase your chances of getting a job, take your STCW courses. Those courses will add a few thousand to your expenses.

If you go to the Navy, you might never even end up on a ship. You never know.

[QUOTE=Razgriz;136953]I am wondering if theres is way ( for someone in the united states) to get into the maritime industry, with very minimal schooling, and money spent, or should I just enlist in the navy?

I have read extensively through past threads here, and have thought about it extensively myself, I am simply wondering if anyone has any suggestions of ways to do it, preferably I’d like to end up deck department, but I’d be willing to work anywhere, if its of any consequence, all I have is a high school education

I know theres no easy way in, I’m just looking for a way that involves the least amount of “academic/book-learning” schooling possible, and maximizes on the job training, I also know that the likely hood of getting employed is quite low even with years of experience or a load of degrees under your belt, but I figure theres still a need for basic labor at least, I’m interested to hear what you all have to say[/QUOTE]

Look for the threads. READ THIS first, KNOCKING on doors in Louisiana, and others in the Maritime Employment section

There it is.

Thank you, I had previously looked into being an OS , and getting the Mariner’s document, then learned of the Twic, I see now thats all one technically needs to start working, I’m going to continue looking further into that and stcw courses, thanks again

[QUOTE=pogey-poboy;136966]There it is.[/QUOTE]

ah that was nothing but I am too busy at the moment and the pointy stick is in the hanger being overhauled so this fine fellow will be spared its mighty wrath

he should consider himself one very lucky little man…

What are you guys the gcaptain police… Oh I’m sorry maybe I should check to see if someone has asked this question before…

No one who associates with you should be considered lucky.

[QUOTE=adrift;136983]No one who associates with you should be considered lucky.[/QUOTE]

another comedian here I see…

oh well, there’s always one in every audience who drinks too much and makes a fool of themselves in front of everybody

now, I get to ask you why on earth you picked the username “adrift”? I mean someone snide would take that for being “a lost soul adrift in a vast sea of sharks” or “a feeble mind adrift with many empty thoughts”

now let me just say in a very brief post here that the whole gist of the OP is one which smacks of laziness and a desire to get something for nothing…

Sorry to tell you son, but we here have all paid our dues in one way or the other in our careers and to think there is some bright and easy path to riches without any pain is an insult to us old timers. Don’t come here asking for us to illuminate such a path for you because for one, it doesn’t exist and two, we ain’t gonna just give you any shortcuts anyway. If you want a shortcut, go work on under 100grt vessels. That way you won’t qualify for a big license and you won’t get in the way of the rest of us later.

Go ahead and join the navy I say…they should just love a guy like you looking to skate through life!

I was beginning to wonder. As I read on, I see that I have not been disappointed.

This.

Plus:

The Navy is downsizing. In addition, only certain enlisted rates are eligible for sea time the CG will recognize. Ain’t no shortcuts.

Capiche?

I didn’t intend to come across as lazy, upon review I see I have, I feel I should clarify, I’m not looking to shortcut anywhere, I was wondering if it where possible to get a job at sea, while spending the least amount of time in a school setting, and more time training on the job, I wasn’t looking to get something for nothing, I was looking to trade work for schooling, which from what I’ve heard appears to be the long and arduous path, starting at the lowest level of qualification possible, I was looking to see, that even if it where the harder, slower option, to cut-out schooling and replace it with work, is viable,no offense was meant, Sorry about that, I thought I should clarify before I left and now I have

[QUOTE=Razgriz;137000]I didn’t intend to come across as lazy, upon review I see I have, I feel I should clarify, I’m not looking to shortcut anywhere, I was wondering if it where possible to get a job at sea, while spending the least amount of time in a school setting, and more time training on the job, I wasn’t looking to get something for nothing, I was looking to trade work for schooling, which from what I’ve heard appears to be the long and arduous path, starting at the lowest level of qualification possible, I was looking to see, that even if it where the harder, slower option, to cut-out schooling and replace it with work, is viable,no offense was meant, Sorry about that, I thought I should clarify before I left and now I have[/QUOTE]

well regardless of what you seek, the USCG has very clear rules concerning the training required to obtain and upgrade Merchant Mariner Credentials all published at their National Maritime Center website. There is nothing we can offer you here that isn’t already there. As I mentioned before, smaller tonnage credentials and licenses require less that big tonnage so if you want the easier and faster path go small tonnage but your income earning potential will be limited as well by traveling that road. A 100grt license ain’t worth much in this industry but if you want cheap and easy then that is your path.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=pogey-poboy;136996]I was beginning to wonder. As I read on, I see that I have not been disappointed.[/QUOTE]

I brought the stick out of its overhaul early just to make you happy, but I had to rush the final coat of paint and put the workers on three shifts to get it done. Where should I send the bill for the added costs?

I never aim to disappoint any of my fellows and glad I was able to oblige your wishes…

Wow… A little to much Bromance going on here…

The the thing to note is that the CG is forcing almost everybody to take loads of courses now and it’s only going to get worse. You can try and sail for the gov’t on an entry level credential while working on your STCW requirements. There was a Navy guy here recently asking the same thing.

Occasionally, MSC hires wipers and stewards. NOAA has entry level jobs. Also try ACOA.

So in order to start as an ordinary seaman I need to obtain a TWIC then the Mariners Credential, and after I have credentials in order, begin to look for a company that has need of/uses for an OS, and that the entry level, so I am going to general manual labor for various comparatively simple tasks, whilst working to fill STCW requirements, and gaining the necessary credentials to become an AB, that sounds good to me, I hope that I can complete my credentials, and join a ship’s company as an OS In the next year or two, Thanks all for the help, to c.captain especially for the specifics, and actual USCG link I was having a hell of a time finding concrete information

[QUOTE=Razgriz;137005]So in order to start as an ordinary seaman I need to obtain a TWIC then the Mariners Credential, and after I have credentials in order, begin to look for a company that has need of/uses for an OS, and that the entry level, so I am going to general manual labor for various comparatively simple tasks, that sounds good to me, I hope that I can complete my credentials, and join a ship’s company in the next year or two, Thanks all for the help, to c.captain especially for the specifics, and actual USCG link I was having a hell of a time finding concrete information[/QUOTE]

for GOD’S OWN SAKE! THIS HAS BEEN DISCUSSED OVER AND OVER AND OVER ON HERE AD NAUSEUM!

Tell us honestly, you really didn’t read any old threads did you?