How would one Gain maritime employment with as little schooling as possible

About 5 years ago I wanted to go to CMA but it would have been financial suicide, so I joined the Navy and was a Boatswain’s Mate. I finished my 4 years about 6 months ago. Deck department (BM and deck seaman) is regarded as the shittiest, bottom of the barrel place to be in the Navy and on ship, however one of the most respected. Lots of shit bags, people kicked out of their ratings and sent to deck until they prove themselves, people with low IQs, you name it. Also, expect to find some of the truest sailors in Navy…some of the few competent leaders in the Navy came from Deck.
Sailors in deck typically work the most in port (unless you are in reactor dept on a carrier or a sub). While you are just “birds nesting” the mooring lines, everyone else is already on the pier in their flip-flops and hotel itineraries in hand. You wont go change and follow suit…you will go paint the side of the ship for a few hours, maybe re-grease a span-wire or two, swab an already-clean p-way, muster for about an hour, and THEN get to go out on town.
You will, however, get to enjoy your ports though knowing that, for the most part, you earned it through tough labor and not sitting behind a desk at personnel.
Quartermaster might be the better route though.
As C.Captain said, lots of “skaters” in the Navy. People who just want a paycheck for doing jack shit. Lots of those guys. For the people who are there to actually work, the load gets bigger and bigger due to skaters/shit bags. Not much you can do to motivate those guys. Contrary to popular belief, joining the military doesn’t necessarily straighten out shit bags.
Anyways, now I have the GI Bill and am going to CMA starting in the fall. Looking back at this “path” I have to say it was ok…but a large portion of it sucked to be honest.
Don’t go into it with the mindset you obviously have now…“minimum amount of schooling possible” as that will translate into “minimum about of work possible” regardless if it’s the Navy or civilian sector.
You have a lot to consider.

I am, I was just triple-checking, I’m not ever going to have an issue knowing finding this information again as you have made clear, and as I have found through research you linked me to on the USCG site this is how credentials for an OS works, I was just thanking you guys for the help, and another thanks to mandolin guy, I see I should likely change my mindset, as the most important thing to me is to get to sea, and whatever that requires, I am willing to do, thanks all, I’ll see you guys later

That’s what I’m talking about. Your enthusiastic strides to provide excellent customer service have the potential to make you a trail blazer toward the revitalization of the production of goods here in 'Murica. I was merely interested in a bare stick charter with intention of wielding it myself. You have gone above and beyond my expectations of providing a fully operational pointy stick that was properly manned by a certified and capable operator.

Once I receive the $1,000,000 that was guaranteed to me for wiring the $3000.00 to the displaced royal Nigerian gentleman in need, I will submit your payment in full once my new Russian bride arrives as she has the checkbook for the joint account that we recently established.

Go apply to a rigging company. They will help you get your credentials, send you on jobs where you will build sea time and get a feel for the industry. You will also work for different companies and find the one you like best. If you work hard and don’t cause any trouble maybe someone on the boat may help you get hired

A few years back someone posted about the army’s 88K program, which is worth mentioning. IIRC, all training is USCG approved, and you can come out of the program with at least a MOT (Master of Towing) 200 GRT, possibly a MOT 1600.

Not a bad deal. You are getting paid, getting training that is transferable to the civilian side, and have no education debt.

Anyone on this board have direct experience with this programs?

Here’a s link:

I’ve got three Navy kids living next door. They’re assigned to Spec Boat 22 at Stennis in Mississippi. The Navy sent them all to get their 200 ton masters. It’s an option.

[QUOTE=Razgriz;137000]I didn’t intend to come across as lazy, upon review I see I have, I feel I should clarify, I’m not looking to shortcut anywhere, I was wondering if it where possible to get a job at sea, while spending the least amount of time in a school setting, and more time training on the job, I wasn’t looking to get something for nothing, I was looking to trade work for schooling, which from what I’ve heard appears to be the long and arduous path, starting at the lowest level of qualification possible, I was looking to see, that even if it where the harder, slower option, to cut-out schooling and replace it with work, is viable,no offense was meant, Sorry about that, I thought I should clarify before I left and now I have[/QUOTE]

If you have aspirations beyond entry level… you are going to be taking training classes… no matter what. If you are lucky and get with the right company, they will pay to send you to those classes. BUT… you will most likely still be in that “school setting”… you can’t get away from it. Not only training, but you will be required to pass many exams… some in your training classes… some at the USCG facility (depending on your level). No way to get around it really. The reason why I want to stress this is that it sounds like you have some aversion to it… if it’s just cause your sick of sitting in a classroom… then well… you won’t avoid it by working… but if it is a “learning disability” issue that makes classroom work difficult… it isn’t necessarily going to be something you can “work away”.

You could join the Coast Guard… or Navy… and use GI Bill money to get yourself through an academy… probably one of the “easiest”, least costly ways of getting ahead. You can go to work and take the classes you need as you get money (or have a company willing to pay for them)… and put your time in… and you “can” eventually end up in the same place… but it will almost certainly take you longer.

Indeed, it is the combination of the best quality materials and workmanship which yields the most formidable “pointy stick” with the power to disintegrate at the greatest range but it is also the training and experience required to be truly proficient in its use. An ordinary boob can be handed a fully loaded ready to rock stick and miss by a fucking mile so one must start small with a toothpick then work up to sharpened pencil long then maybe a pikepole before handling a 50cal automatic stick. My company not only builds the finest sticks on the USA with American workers (thus qualifying them for Jones Act trade) but provides training in their use with a BST course (basic stick training) but then you much earn your full STCW certificate (stick trained certified wielder) with can only be earned by years of documented experience here on gCaptain.

Once I receive the $1,000,000 that was guaranteed to me for wiring the $3000.00 to the displaced royal Nigerian gentleman in need, I will submit your payment in full once my new Russian bride arrives as she has the checkbook for the joint account that we recently established.

better get that money to me pronto or I’ll be sending the boys by to refresh your memory

//youtu.be/0Ae6B7C05Nk

now, you really don’t want me to be sending the boys round now do you?

1060 W. Addison St.
Chicago, IL

Attention the Penguin

If you have ANY cooking experience Chouest is always hiring cooks. You can do that for approx 1 year get your AB and move to deck. You should have twic MMD and basic safety training. Chouest offers it but don’t know if they are hiring without it now. Seems to be hit and miss. Go to office Monday mornings for quicker hiring. Been here over 7 years and they are a great employer as far as I am concerned.