How to become an engineer

I just got a job as an AB on a tug and eventually want to become a licensed engineer. I plan on glueing myself to the engineer of my boat as much as possible. I have a little marine diesel experience from my previous job on a 100 ton fishing boat and I’ve been wrenching on cars and motorcycles for many years so I wouldnt consider myself a preschooler per say.

Anyone have any advice for a hawspipe guy starting down the road towards engineer? Thanks much

Find a job as a QMED as soon as you can.

What he said…

You can use deck time for 25% or up to 180 days of the requirement for an entry level engineer’s license. Start getting E/R time ASAP.

Use Permatex. Better than glue.

[QUOTE=catherder;124973]Use Permatex. Better than glue.[/QUOTE]

And ALWAYS have a fresh roll of duct tape nearby.

//youtu.be/1BSDZJSKiVI

Lol

I used Duct tape to re-attach a nav light on one of our launches and damn if it didn’t hold up perfectly! I swear Washington beat the Brits with guts and duct tape.

Take all tools from the deck locker so the mates don’t hurt themselves.

[QUOTE=Sirina21;125003]Take all tools from the deck locker so the mates don’t hurt themselves.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I resemble that!

well at least you don’t resent it.

Thanks dudes! QMED, engine room time…check. Hide tools from mates, double check. Patched a hole in an expansion tank with duct tape once, lasted for weeks.

Does anyone recommend a place that offers the QMED certificate course (or is taking the test at the CG office pretty simple)? RFPEW? We had no licensed engineers on our boat just me and another guy who tackled everything in the ER, and the captain who just has a 200 ton master, so I assume none of my co workers are eligible to sign off on time and experience in our engine room…I’m gonna need a brand new set of 180 days with my chief E on the tug signing off for me, correct?

Guys, do not forget the rag…

[QUOTE=catherder;124973]Use Permatex. Better than glue.[/QUOTE]

If using Permatex, remember that No. 1 is different from No. 2. It has been awhile, but I believe that it is No. 2 that dries hard and is miserable to remove when disassembling and reassembling. When ever I saw a tube of it onboard, over the side it went. . . .

Don’t forget the Dawn soap it is essential for night ops…

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;125066]Don’t forget the Dawn soap it is essential for night ops…[/QUOTE]

Oh, what ever do you mean. . . . . ?

Midnight sougee of course…

With a toothbrush.

This actually happened, btw.

You mean all that lovely rock-hard crud that takes forever to scrape from two halves of a bearing housing? Sandcrabs love that stuff! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=catherder;125191]You mean all that lovely rock-hard crud that takes forever to scrape from two halves of a bearing housing? Sandcrabs love that stuff! :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that is the stuff. It can easily double the time of an EMD turbo change. . . . .

[QUOTE=cmakin;125192]Yeah, that is the stuff. It can easily double the time of an EMD turbo change. . . . .[/QUOTE]

Ouch, that just brought back some very bad memories!