How to become an engineer

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;125066]Don’t forget the Dawn soap it is essential for night ops…[/QUOTE]

Too many bubbles. I preferred 409.

Is 409 now USCG approved?

[QUOTE=Sirina21;125202]Is 409 now USCG approved?[/QUOTE]

Only if your initial’s are BP

The company only supplies us with JOY soap… cases of JOY soap…

“The solution to pollution is dilution”

Powder laundry detergent in a real pinch…apply via rescue boat.

Just fail to identify the color of that buoy in your eye test.

[QUOTE=+A465B;125225]Powder laundry detergent in a real pinch…apply via rescue boat.[/QUOTE]

Rescue boat’s too obvious…hide it in a crab pot…dunk that sucker over the side! Rinse and repeat.

“nothing to see here…we’re crabbing!”

Works in Oregon.

Nice thing though, I fueled launches at night and never spilled a drop this fall! Good thing too, we were in California waters at the time!

http://postimg.org/image/6o4xgtd79/

Why aren’t my photos showing up? Using the tags.

Hey fellas. Does time as an electrician’s mate in the coast guard count towards a 3rd A/E license? Based on what I could find around here I’m getting the impression that ship’s electricians are on a separate track from the engine room guys.

[QUOTE=BradyJenn;125035]Does anyone recommend a place that offers the QMED certificate course (or is taking the test at the CG office pretty simple)? RFPEW? We had no licensed engineers on our boat just me and another guy who tackled everything in the ER, and the captain who just has a 200 ton master, so I assume none of my co workers are eligible to sign off on time and experience in our engine room…I’m gonna need a brand new set of 180 days with my chief E on the tug signing off for me, correct?[/QUOTE]

I think most folks will tell you that purchasing some study materials from hawsepipe,net or one of the other similar places online and studying on your own is the way to go. Even if you take a course you may have to test at your local REC center anyway. I am pretty sure all the QMED modules regardless of which rating are 70% passing.

As far as the sea time goes, as long as your sea letter specifies your duties in the ER it should be sufficient. Being able to log time as a “unlicensed engineer” would be even better.The guy to ask about that on here is MR CAVO.

EM is an considered an engine room rating and you should read the Marine Safety Manual Ch 3 (you can find it on the NMC website or google it) for the rating conversion chart and the information pertaining to military service.

I was an EM in the Navy. My time counted.

[QUOTE=catherder;125229]Rescue boat’s too obvious…hide it in a crab pot…dunk that sucker over the side! Rinse and repeat.

“nothing to see here…we’re crabbing!”

Works in Oregon.

Nice thing though, I fueled launches at night and never spilled a drop this fall! Good thing too, we were in California waters at the time!

http://postimg.org/image/6o4xgtd79/[/QUOTE]

Run a load of laundry without 20 packets of soap, “…just washing my underwear”

If only there was a magical substance that floated just long enough to soak up you problems and then sunk it to the bottom of the ocean. We could make millions marking the stuff to wal mart! (Or does the Galliano Wal Mart already sell Barite in a box :slight_smile: ?)

Thanks catherder.

Looked up the doc. I’ll put this up for anyone else wondering the same thing:

2-3:

(7) Engine rating of E-4 and above with
qualifications as EWO is equivalent to
licensed assistant engineer time.

2-5 to 2-7:

Take 60% of your qualifying time and add following percentages on top of that as follows:

Coast Guard Electrician’s Mate: QMED 100%

Navy Electrician’s Mate: QMED 100% ONLY for documented engine room watch time.

2-8:

(2)
Engineer Service.
Any enlisted service which can be equated to wiper or to any
of the qualified member of the engine department (QMED) ratings may be accepted toward meeting the service requirements for all the QMED endorsements except deck engine mechanic and engineman. Qualifications for deck engine mechanic and engineman must be evaluated separately since these two ratings have specific qualification requirements which must be met.

I had good luck with mariner advancement study guides for test taking. get everything you can as soon as possible.

[QUOTE=john;126190]If only there was a magical substance that floated just long enough to soak up you problems and then sunk it to the bottom of the ocean. We could make millions marking the stuff to wal mart! (Or does the Galliano Wal Mart already sell Barite in a box :slight_smile: ?)[/QUOTE]

They do sell Dawn by the case

If you don’t have a rag, use your coveralls! It makes it look like you’ve been doing something.

Permatex, or even better, aviation gasket sealant. That stuff is the worst.

Seriously though, get a job in the ER, preferably on an unlimited ship. Read every textbook you can find, apply it to your job, and never be afraid to ask questions, don’t worry about sounding stupid. In my experience, only ***holes and crappy engineers who don’t know the answer will give you grief over asking questions, and generally they won’t be around long anyhow.