How hard is it to get an ab endorsement if i'm just wanting to cook?

I’ve looked at hundreds of companies and most of them want an AB/COOK now, instead of an OS/COOK. The last time I was working it was only an OS requirement… PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE…:confused:

[QUOTE=flapper;114979]I’ve looked at hundreds of companies and most of them want an AB/COOK now, instead of an OS/COOK. The last time I was working it was only an OS requirement… PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE…:confused:[/QUOTE]

ab is no harder to get than any other endorsement. meet the requirements apply test etc.

companies are requiring this in an effort to save money. an ab will satisfy the coi requirement whereas an os wouldn’t.

[QUOTE=flapper;114979]I’ve looked at hundreds of companies and most of them want an AB/COOK now, instead of an OS/COOK. The last time I was working it was only an OS requirement… PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE…:confused:[/QUOTE]

Explain what you mean by “looked at”. Are you able to sit in their office with your bags packed actively pursuing the job while “looking at” them? Or, are we perusing them from the internet /magazine ad? Best I can tell you is to make them look you in the eye when they tell you they don’t hire an O/S. If you are looking in the OSV market then an A/B is just an O/S with 120 days of seatime…

So my advice is stop looking at them and start making them tell you no. You will eventually get the no’s out of your way.

The harder you work the luckier you get!

Thanks you guys… Easymoney I went and stayed in the NOLA and surrounding areas for a week, applying for jobs, at the time no one was hiring at all they said, until I exhausted my money, so yes it’s been looking (online) since then.

• Updated - - -

@ silverbk, I found out today that all of my seatime was but in the steward dept., so none of it can be used to upgrade… agggghhhh!!!

Get 180 days of sea time take AB class and apply, thats it, you are an AB-OSV now.

@ bayrunner someone has to hire you to get that seatime hun… my seatime was all put in steward dept. from my former employer so it’s useless to me… but thank you for your respone :stuck_out_tongue:

If you can’t get on with the blue water boats offshore, consider a seasonal gig on one of the big river push boats. Good cooks are always in demand. Consider checking out the Waterways Journal Classified and look for the names of inland toing companies Go to their websites. Huge companies like Archer Daniel Midlands and others have big operations that always need help. Goof luck and no credentials required aside from TWIC. http://www.waterwaysjournal.net/classified.html#.UeiJ2G3tPKo

Thank you EbbTide I really appreciate the suggestions… :slight_smile: