How do i get started?

I have a strong interest in the maritime world. I’m 20 years old and have no idea how to get started. I would like to get going on a tugboat but don’t know what I have to have education wise. What kind of school do I need or do I just need experience? And how should I go about getting it?

OH DEAR NO! NOT ANOTHER ONE AGAIN?

son read my lips

[B]READ THROUGH PROBABLY 200 PREVIOUS THREADS IN THE FORUMS BEFORE ASKING SUCH A NEW MORON KID AT SCHOOL QUESTION![/B]

The pointy stick delivers!!

I apologize for asking such a question but I did read through quite a few and didn’t really find the answers to my moron school kid questions. Now this isn’t the first time I have asked these but I live in the middle of now where and when you ask a question like that to people around here they kinda look at you funny because all they can tell you is how to shoe a horse, rope a steer, or run a bailer. Now I don’t mean to bother you but I’m just looking for a little guidance. Thanks

[QUOTE=TSMRoper;135261]I apologize for asking such a question but I did read through quite a few and didn’t really find the answers to my moron school kid questions. [/QUOTE]

then you obviously cannot comprehend what you read because all you need to know is contained within and we are not going to spoonfeed you. You’re a big boy now wearing real big boy underpants and not Huggies so do the work and you will be respected but try this nonsense again and expect worse than the famous “pointy stick” next time!

I did look at your your previous post and you seen to be relatively unhelpful when people have a question. But thanks for your input.

[QUOTE=TSMRoper;135265]I did look at your your previous post and you seen to be relatively unhelpful when people have a question. But thanks for your input.[/QUOTE]

haha…you’re such an amusing little person!

How did you get started?

[QUOTE=TSMRoper;135267]How did you get started?[/QUOTE]

I followed an old wino AB into a back alley between some warehouses and sapped him to the back of his head, then I went to the tug I saw him get off of and mentioned I would like a job. When he didn’t come back the capt said you wanna work on a boat? the rest is history…

I’d love to help you out. Getting started in this industry is easy. First you are going to need to watch every episode of deadliest catch, tuna warriors, famous crab catchers, and lobster cowboys. This is important learning for you, this is how things are run on any commercial vessel. As long as you act like these guys they will make you a captain, two weeks tops. And bring that huge spoon you have, your putting that thing to good use.

Applied to a State Maritime Academy out of college. Had family that chose this profession. Grew up in a coastal state…that’s how I got started.

Now while I agree with the above that reading through literally every single past thread will give you the best insight, why don’t you give us some info about yourself. What do you picture your self doing, what drew you to this aspiration, what industry segment interests you and why?

You sir are about as useful as Obamacare. But I do have to admit that was a good answer. It did make me laugh.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;135270]Now while I agree with the above that reading through literally every single past thread will give you the best insight, why don’t you give us some info about yourself. What do you picture your self doing, what drew you to this aspiration, what industry segment interests you and why?[/QUOTE]

OH THAT’S JUST GREAT…just what we need is a babysitter for the kids!

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=TSMRoper;135272]You sir are about as useful as Obamacare. But I do have to admit that was a good answer. It did make me laugh.[/QUOTE]

and the usefulness of any 20 year old is exactly?

now listen carefully

young people are supposed to remain very very quiet and mind their elders!

comprende el pequeno nino?

Haha I admit I always try to be nice to them… You have to tell my where you buy your whetstones for your stick, I think I was issued a dull one.

you too are obviously quite young and young people aren’t old enough to wield a pointy stick. You can get your plastic training stick at the 10 year mark but no one with less than 20 years at sea gets to carry a real one with live ammo. At 30 years you get the 50calibre full auto Browning stick

and at 40 you get the 16" naval cannon stick

“Get going on a tugboat”- as what exactly??? Deckhand, engineer, cook, Captain??? Where does your interest lay??

Do you have any diesel experience??? Where are you exactly??? Ever have a conviction for anything??? Do you take drugs??? How is your color vision?? Answers to these questions may stop your dreams in their tracks or help us point you in the right direction.

[QUOTE=seadonkey;135269]I’d love to help you out. Getting started in this industry is easy. First you are going to need to watch every episode of deadliest catch, tuna warriors, famous crab catchers, and lobster cowboys. This is important learning for you, this is how things are run on any commercial vessel. As long as you act like these guys they will make you a captain, two weeks tops. And bring that huge spoon you have, your putting that thing to good use.[/QUOTE]

Those might all be helpful tools to make you want to get into the industry, but not to help you become a professional. If you really want to learn how to be a professional and competent mariner, you need to download and watch every episode of “Whale Wars”. I think some of the deck officers on here envy the heroic seamanship of Captain Paul Watson.

There are allot of good programs out there getting a Hay Seed from the middle of nowhere out to sea, which is more often than not the middle of nowhere just with more water.

There are 7 federal maritime academies in the united states, 1 on the west coast, 1 in gulf coast, and 5 on the east coast. The academy route is the fastest way up the ladder, but takes 4 years to complete cost a good chunk of money. You can become a deck or engine officer, so if you like to drive and the sun deck side is the way to go, if you enjoy noise, engines, and chain smoking engineering side is for you. Also something to remember that if you do take the academy route remember you may be a “officer” but you still got training wheels on, stay humble and learn as much as you can.

There are also a ton a sea schools out there that range from getting you certified as a deckhand to getting a lower level Captains or Engineers license , Pacific Maritime Institute is a good one in Seattle, Piney point is a good school for becoming a deckhand.

Or just go to the USCG site and look up what you need to get your Ordinary seaman license and work your way up the ladder man. There is allot of good info in the forums if you dig a little deeper and learn some of the terminology that we use. Don’t get discouraged by a grown ass man berating you on an internet forum…

Good Luck

Start here. http://www.gcaptain.com/forum/professional-mariner-forum/14436-honest-career-advice-expert-mariners.html.

Everyone was helpful when they thought it was a woman (unlikely) who never came back. Check the NMC website for info and look for local jobs to see if you like it. All these assholes will be looking for a relief in a few years and bemoaning the lack of youth in the Merchant Marine since they chased anyone who asked a question away.

[QUOTE=TSMRoper;135251]I have a strong interest in the maritime world. I’m 20 years old and have no idea how to get started. I would like to get going on a tugboat but don’t know what I have to have education wise. What kind of school do I need or do I just need experience? And how should I go about getting it?[/QUOTE]

OK so, I get this question alot from younger sometimes people close to my age (43)… They sit there and ask me what I do ,anddon’tont mind telling them about it, Then here it comes ,“How do I get in to that career?, I want to make the big money too” ,So instead of talking my ass off for nothing ,Ive done in the past ,and now learned my lesson, Because they realize you need documents to even start…So I say now "go to this site( http://www.coastalvitalityproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Guide-to-Basic-Licenses-and-Endorsements-in-the-US-Maritimes.pdf) after you have read! started you app, That at least got your TWIC! Then come see me… so i can see that you have taken the 1st steps and are not wasting my time or others. @TSMRoper You through yourself to the sea dogs here lol, so you got bit. If your that interested in the industry do some steps 1st. You can get alot of info from gcaptain,But have some info on what your asking about.