Hitch Rotations

<P>What companies in the G.O.M. are working equal time? I know G.O.L. is working a 2 on 2 off rotation, are there anymore companies down there working equal time? </P>

Hornbeck has some day for day hitches, and I heard Rigdon is considering it.

Im curious about the rotations too, having only worked harbor tugs before going Deep Sea, Im not exactly sure how that 2 &1 works? On the tugs we did a 2-2-3 (7days) so that one watch always had the other weekend off. It was busy, but a nice schedule, but the best part is coming back to “your” boat. Are there not permanant people assigned to boats with alot of companies? I can understand rotating deckhands and EU’s etc, but I would think the companies would want the same mates/engineers going back to the boats they have working knowledge of?<br><br>(or am I just missing this, and 1 watch does 2 weeks, and the other watch does 1, then flip flops) That would make sense too…(but we all know how often THAT happens!!)

Salinity with the 2:1 schedule there are really three people assigned to each boat for each position. With two on board at any one time working 12 hr watches with the third person at home. For example on a 28:14 rotation every 2 weeks a crew change is made with a third getting off because they’ve pulled there hitch, a third only half way through their hitch, and the final third coming back to work. <br><br>With even time there are 4 people per position with either the whole crew getting off at crew change or doing one were half of them switch out.

looking for an oil rig guy ,works in block 14 for cabgoc, name Daniel,red head. is he ok no contact since the 23rd of Aug?

Jem-
That 4 people per position must be a GOM thing.

At the company where I sail it’s :
[U]Tugs[/U]
1 Captain
1 Mate
1 Engineer
1 AB
1 OS (most times it’s an AB filling an OS slot)

[U]ATBs[/U]
1 Captain
1 Chief Mate
1 2nd Mate
1 Engineer
1 AB (Usually a schoolboy 3rd, called a training mate, but paid AB wages)
1 AB Barge Captain
1 AB Tankerman

per crew, with 2 crews rotating home and aboard

[quote=seadog!;17575]Jem-

[U]Tugs[/U]
1 Captain
1 Mate
1 Engineer
1 AB

[U]ATBs[/U]
1 Captain
1 Chief Mate
1 2nd Mate
1 Engineer
1 AB Barge Captain
1 AB Tankerman

per crew, with 2 crews rotating home and aboard[/quote]

Bring back the cooks, goddammit!

When I sailed with Crowley, we had a crew of one captain, one chief mate, one second mate, one engineer, two ABs, one OS and a cook. The rotation was supposed to be three trips on, two off (Lake Charles to San Juan-worked out to nine weeks on, six off), but it rarely ever happened. Often you would have the same crew but on different boats, since one would leave Lake Charles every Friday. Usually I would get a call after about four weeks off to get back to work.

When I worked on an ATB, we had one captain, one chief mate, one second mate, one Chief Engineer, one First Engineer, two ABs, one OS, two tankermen and one cook. We were working roughly 28x28, but often, due to port calls, etc. it seems that I would have to work a day or two (or three or four or five) extra and get called back a day or two (or three or four) early.

Me thinks I need to look at the GOM a little more, if things get going again. You guys are spoiled these days. I did a very short time in early '91, when it was 90 on, 30 off. I only lasted abt 30 days. Hornbeck and Tidewater. A standby utility was 2 wks/2 wks, that was with Sealcraft. Jan/Feb on that thing was no fun!!

[quote=seadog!;17575]Jem-

[U]Tugs[/U]
1 Captain
1 Mate
1 Engineer
1 AB

[U]ATBs[/U]
1 Captain
1 Chief Mate
1 2nd Mate
1 Engineer
1 AB Barge Captain
1 AB Tankerman

per crew, with 2 crews rotating home and aboard[/quote]

Well I using the 100 ton area as an example, maybe I should have been a little clearer. The minimum manning is 4 guys, 2 hands, 2 officers. We don’t run mates so they are both captains. the office designates one guy as one in charge, being the only way to tell us apart. So that’s how you get 4 guys per position when working even time. So it’s probobly more of a small boat thing then a GOM thing.

All the drilling contractors (Transocean, Pride, Seadrill, etc) work equal rotations. I believe most subsea and construction (McDermot comes to mind) do as well.

Pretty much anything that requires American mariners and Unlimited tonnage licenses has equal time (I think).

G & H Towing I think is 4 days on 4 off, or around that but definitely not more than a week on or off. Gotta live in Galveston though but I’m betting you can go home at night :slight_smile:

Almost all of Laborde Marine’s supply boats run 14 & 14 for the deck officers.