HELP IN DOUBLE MAJORING AT SUNY MARITIME and getting in?thankyou soo much

[B]Um i have a g.p.a of a 3.0 now and im going into my last year english and literature has drop me significantly from the past 2 years will this ruin my chances?? …and i think i could pull off a 1500/1400 or more on the test any tips for the the SAT??as well TYSM… but im aming for 2000 … I even went there recently on a cadet trip from the bahamas… and i had a great experience… i have the application form and i’ve started to fill it out can you please share any tip on how to write a personal essay…of course i know how to fill out the form"lol"…but what advice will you give me as an international student pertaining to getting accepted??YOUR HELP WILL BE GREAT APPRECIATED!!!;);)[/B]

[B]:p:DI want to double major in marine transportation and marine operations …??[/B]
[B]I want to do it in at least 4 years like i would do in a single major another year wont be that bad …will it cost more for tuition?? How can i get funding CREDIT CARD/LOAN if scholarship unavailable… ? yea i know books will of course cost a little bit more…[/B]
[B]What may be the benefits of doing a double major in the maritime field??[/B]
[B]I’m in grade 11 going on to grade 12 and i have a solid foundation of the maritime field…expecially in Naivgation…[/B]
[B]Will i get two degrees at the end…?What advice will you give to me to sucessfully complete my double major??[/B]
[B]BASICLY… i want to know the ADVANTAGE and DISADVANTAGES of a double major in suny maritime college…and what advice will you give me or ANY other person doing the exact same thing or related to what i’m about to do???:confused::cool:[/B]

Hey freshman

I’m a 3/c at matitime, and I’m majoring in marine operations. I can tell you now that there is little to no point at all in double majoring with MT and MO. The only difference between the two is that MT has just a few more buisness classes, and MO replaces them with a few of the more practical classes for shipping out. If you want to make a career out of shipping out then go MO, if you want to try it for a bit and then maybe go to insurance, law, chartering, or one of the other aspects of the industry then major in MT. both will get you the deck license in the end. If you have good enough grades, then you can major in MO with a minor in global buisness, but there really is no reason for someone to double major at Maritime unless they are doing double License.

As for getting in, I’m afraid that I don’t know what standards they use for international students.

-Jb

[QUOTE=Jb27;53281]Hey freshman

I’m a 3/c at matitime, and I’m majoring in marine operations. I can tell you now that there is little to no point at all in double majoring with MT and MO. The only difference between the two is that MT has just a few more buisness classes, and MO replaces them with a few of the more practical classes for shipping out. If you want to make a career out of shipping out then go MO, if you want to try it for a bit and then maybe go to insurance, law, chartering, or one of the other aspects of the industry then major in MT. both will get you the deck license in the end. If you have good enough grades, then you can major in MO with a minor in global buisness, but there really is no reason for someone to double major at Maritime unless they are doing double License.

As for getting in, I’m afraid that I don’t know what standards they use for international students.

-Jb[/QUOTE]

Oh TYSM for your response… so in order for someone to do a double major you have to do a double license then?..oh ok

When he says dual license he means deck and engineering license. There is no formal program, but with the advent of the two year limited engineer license program. It’s feasable to graduate in four years with a deck and engine license.

I agree that there is no good reason to double major. It’s hard enough to get through any of the license programs in four years.