Heading South To Apply Around

Thank you all for the advice. I set myself up for some shit there but should clarify that the main offer from a tug company I passed up wasn’t because I felt I was too good for it. Ive lived in a small town my whole life and while I am fairly well traveled the company wanted me to move to Seattle. I would receive no assistance getting there and I wasn’t able to find any affordable housing as I would be starting as a deckhand. Which is fine but I would rather find a company that would pay for my travel and allow me to stay in Maine where the cost of living isnt quite as high.

[QUOTE=bluewater220;162309]Thank you all for the advice. I set myself up for some shit there but should clarify that the main offer from a tug company I passed up wasn’t because I felt I was too good for it. Ive lived in a small town my whole life and while I am fairly well traveled the company wanted me to move to Seattle. I would receive no assistance getting there and I wasn’t able to find any affordable housing as I would be starting as a deckhand. Which is fine but I would rather find a company that would pay for my travel and allow me to stay in Maine where the cost of living isnt quite as high.[/QUOTE]

You are a fool sir…Seattle is a thriving maritime community and you should have moved here to join it. You did not need to live in Seattle either but could have found a nice outlying community like North Bend or Snohomish. Once in to the towing industry, you would have nowhere to go but up in it. They need new young blood and I bet you would have been in the wheelhouse in a year on deck.

Call these people back on Monday and beg for them to reextend the offer.

WHAT IS WITH THESE EFFING KIDS THESE DAYS?

Perhaps I will buy some tug boats and start a company in this thriving community. I believe I will have to take some of my best large OSV masters and get them some of these towing licenses you need for a tug boat. I guess I could put a used winch on one of my Large OSV’s and reclass it as towing vessel long enough to certify all my people. Does anyone know what the process would be to do this? Oh never mind I’ll call a friend that works at OMSA he will know just the person in Washington I need to play golf with.

Not everyone wants to live there, not everyone wants to live in New England. That is a perfectly reasonable train of thought.

Bang on some doors in New York. The drive isn’t that bad even living in Maine.

Have a spit bottle and willing to relocate. Can you provide crawfish and frog legs?

Man if there’s gonna be some gratons I could be tempted myself me to…

[QUOTE=c.captain;162313]You are a fool sir…Seattle is a thriving maritime community and you should have moved here to join it. You did not need to live in Seattle either but could have found a nice outlying community like North Bend or Snohomish. Once in to the towing industry, you would have nowhere to go but up in it. They need new young blood and I bet you would have been in the wheelhouse in a year on deck.

Call these people back on Monday and beg for them to reextend the offer.

WHAT IS WITH THESE EFFING KIDS THESE DAYS?[/QUOTE]

Seattle is a bunch of yuppie bandwagon Seahawks fans.

[QUOTE=Rafterman;162347]Seattle is a bunch of yuppie bandwagon Seahawks fans.[/QUOTE]

well that many be true, but you may…

SIR!

[QUOTE=Jeaux Bawss;162316]Perhaps I will buy some tug boats and start a company in this thriving community…[/QUOTE]

sorry but you can’t…you see we have a little group of families here which control entry to the market

[QUOTE=Rafterman;162347]Seattle is a bunch of yuppie bandwagon Seahawks fans.[/QUOTE]

Must be a 49ers fan…

Sir this sounds like a shakedown and not at all how we do business in the south. It sounds nefarious as if there were some sort of mafioso type organization controlling the Seattle area. Then again I would expect nothing less from a know hot bed of union activity. It appears that once the unions took hold it brought the corrupt criminal element with it. This is exactly why we wish to keep those very same criminal union organizations out of our back yards.

[QUOTE=KrustySalt;162191]Thats right, everyone knows if you went to an academy, you have no boat skills!![/QUOTE]

oh, it’s the return of the often talked about, rarely heard of, haws-pipe vs academy argument. It is really old, stop. It never hurts to network, and the HR people actually will have time for you. They don’t have much to do right now. Networking never hurts if you do not have a job.

I agree! Networking as well as social media (professional social media that is). Below is an article about resumes and them missing a LinkedIn profile.