Hawsepipe.net study materials

Has anyone here used hawsepipe.net study materials when preparing for a test? I am curious if the questions represented are accurate.

Rat,

The Coast Guard provides all of their test questions free to the public so any of the online solutions should work equally as well. I have never tried Hawsepipe.net but it’s competitor,lapware.org is a really good program that gives you not only the answers but tries to explain the solution. There is also Capt Joe’s CDs.

Free solutions include downloading the questions yourself at the DECK EXAMor ENGINE EXAM sections fo the NMC website.

We also suggest a new site called USCGQ.

Personally I used the Murphy books available at Sandwich Ship Supply.

Also don’t forget to check out my interview:
<h2>The New Hawsepipe - An Interview With Leonard Lambert</h2>

If you haven’t already, check out <a title=“The New Hawsepipe”" target="_blank" href="http://www.amazon.com/New-Hawsepipe-Comprehensive-Licensing-Documentation/dp/0870335871/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223393888&sr=8-1]“The New Hawsepipe” book by Leonard Lambert. It’ll guide you through the application and upgrade process from entry level to Unl Master.

The hawse-pipe questions and those in the Murphy books are right out of our database. They are accurate as of the date we geberated the data report. The same data goes on our web page, see <A href="http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/mmic_deckexquest.asp]http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/mmic_deckexquest.asp</A> Of course we continually update the questions (as evidenced by our use of the 1981 Nautical Almanac?) so the questions you get may have changed from what you’ll see on our exam.<br><br>James D. Cavo<br>Chief, Mariner Training & Assessment Division<br>USCG National Maritimer Center<br><A href="mailto:James.D.Cavo@uscg.mil]James.D.Cavo@uscg.mil</A>

I have looked at the Hawsepipe software for engineering license study and I was very impressed. The reference material included with the program alone is worth the cost of the exam software. It’s obvious they put a lot of effort into making not just a " practice the test" program but an actual educational program. [of course you can still just practice the test and be a parrot engineer if that’s your goal.]<br> I’d recommend the Hawsepipe engineer software to any prospective engineer. MEBA has a good program too if you can get your hands on a. copy

I’ve used the Hawsepipe program and I concur with tengineer. Definitely worth the money. The software has all the relevant books and manuals that they prepared the questions from. Including a search feature that will allow you to find specific reference material without flipping through pages or looking it up on the web. You can’t go wrong.

HI,
Bought Hawsepipe but it would never run on my XP machine. The seller told me to roll back my OS - I tossed it to a friend who was able to use it. Lapware is OK if you have internet connectivity. I didn’t care for the user interface at all. Capt. Joe’s was self contained so it went on the boats with me. In the end I used the Capt Joe’s and the Murphy’s books together.
Just my two cents!
MTSKIER

I used Hawspipe.net disk and Lapware and Nate Bowditch for my upgrade.I liked using Hawspipe offline and the Rules questions have all the help keys and rule numbers posted. Plus you can go through the questions a lot faster than Lapware, since it is on line. Even with a high speed connection it is slower than the Hawspipe cd. But, Lapware has a much more thorough explanation fo each problem that is calculated. Even chart plots are displayed in thorough detail. I would recommend both.

Quite a few guys at my company have used some software from www.marineradvancement.com , they seem to be satisfied.