Hawespipe.net or Thomasmarine.org?

Which of the 2 study guides are the better one to get? Or is there anything better then those 2?

Seasources.net is FREE. If you want to pay, go for Lapware.org.

$100 a month for lapware is alot. Plus its only good when you have internet. I don’t always have internet on the boat. I’d rather have all the material on hand you know. Thank tho. I appreciate the info.

As they say, time is money. Lapware will save you time and $100 a month is nothing compared to current day rates, or the time and money it takes to go to live classes at a school.

I do prefer books myself. MPT sells some good materials at their bookstore.

I’d second seasources.net. I think I paid $50 or so and you can download the question bank so you don’t need an Internet connection. Also, they were working on updating their question bank with the newly released questions when I was using it a few months ago. The cg hadn’t released the drawings yet so the electrical section wasn’t up dated yet. I just watched some videos on YouTube about PLCs, ladder logic and there were some old military videos about motors and generators that were a good review.

Another good source is deckskills.org. No question bank but its a pretty good “how to” for studying terrestrial/celestial problems.

Do these site provide the math formulas u need to know for the 1600 ton? What about for terrestrial and celestial problems?

Celestial (with the other ocean navigation topics) is something that is best covered in a two week course at an approved school. You can get a certificate from an approved school so that you don’t have to test for it at the REC.

[QUOTE=“tugsailor;94409”]Celestial (with the other ocean navigation topics) is something that is best covered in a two week course at an approved school. You can get a certificate from an approved school so that you don’t have to test for it at the REC.[/QUOTE]

Even if you take an approved course and pass their test, you still have to test at the REC for your license. Lapware is a very good study source, however, I didnt like the solutions portion of the tutorials. There is more than one way to skin a cat…and more than one way to get/obtain answers through various solutions. I am using Capt. Joe’s, Hawsepipe.net, Murphy Books, and Seasources. I duplicated the REC test library with the exact books and pubs allowed in the exam room. I also have the Murphy Books in PDF format on my tablet. Buy Bowditch Vol Il!!! MPT is over priced. It is a good school though. Try Sandwich Ship supply…they sell all the Murphy books and some of the pubs too. Good luck.

[QUOTE=“NYBoatman;94352”]Which of the 2 study guides are the better one to get? Or is there anything better then those 2?[/QUOTE]

pm me and I will help in any way I can.

[QUOTE=RubberRhib888;94413]Even if you take an approved course and pass their test, you still have to test at the REC for your license. Lapware is a very good study source, however, I didnt like the solutions portion of the tutorials. There is more than one way to skin a cat…and more than one way to get/obtain answers through various solutions. I am using Capt. Joe’s, Hawsepipe.net, Murphy Books, and Seasources. I duplicated the REC test library with the exact books and pubs allowed in the exam room. I also have the Murphy Books in PDF format on my tablet. Buy Bowditch Vol Il!!! MPT is over priced. It is a good school though. Try Sandwich Ship supply…they sell all the Murphy books and some of the pubs too. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

How does Hawespipe.net CD compare to Capt Joe’s? I’m about to buy one or the other.

[QUOTE=NYBoatman;94408]Do these site provide the math formulas u need to know for the 1600 ton? What about for terrestrial and celestial problems?[/QUOTE]

Formulae for the Mariner is a great reference with virtually every formula you’ll need in one place.

[QUOTE=“backn98;115667”]

How does Hawespipe.net CD compare to Capt Joe’s? I’m about to buy one or the other.[/QUOTE]

I would buy Capt. Joe’s over the Hawsepipe CD.

[QUOTE=RubberRhib888;115687]I would buy Capt. Joe’s over the Hawsepipe CD.[/QUOTE]

Thanks RubberRhib888! Considering I’ve never used the Hawespipe CD before I am unsure of how user friendly it is. Thanks again for your input.

Capt Joe’s is better for all of the formulas and such. You can pick what section you want to study and stick with it. Bang for the buck…its the best. I will also recommend to eventually get on with Lapware. Maybe use Capt Joe’s for your beginning base studies and then progress to Lapware.