Have you seen him?

NEW ORLEANS – What’s pink, has red eyes and leaps around a Louisiana shipping channel long enough for you to believe your eyes? A rare albino bottlenose dolphin. Bottlenose dolphins are common in the lower Calcasieu Ship Channel, feeding in the deep water and riding on top of boats’ waves. And when the pink one jumps amid four dark gray dolphins, it’s easy to spot.
The albino is just the 14th reported worldwide, and the third in the Gulf of Mexico, according to biologist Dagmar Fertl of Plano, Texas.
It was first reported by Wesley Lockard of Rayville, La., as a small calf in June 2007. Lockard, 26, said he and family members were fishing when they were stunned by the sight. “Something comes up and you say, Wow! Did I just ...?' Then he comes up again and you say,Yeah! I just saw a pink dolphin!’” he said.
Now, the mammal is as much a part of the channel south of Lake Charles as boats and fishermen.

Story here-

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090528/ap_on_fe_st/us_odd_pink_dolphin_7

I can’t even tell you how many inqueries like the one below we get about our pink dolphin post. At least one every week or two.

[I]Comments: Why are pink dolphins endangered and what can we do to help?[/I]

<object height=“344” width=“425”>

<embed src=“http://www.youtube.com/v/vE6_7h1pSsk&hl=en&fs=1” type=“application/x-shockwave-flash” allowscriptaccess=“always” allowfullscreen=“true” height=“344” width=“425”></object>
<object height=“344” width=“425”>
</object>

AP got a hold of some video

Wow cool!

I hope all the attention doesn’t get him/her hurt by some attention seeking yokel though…

As an aside… regular press releases of interesting content like this is bound to build site traffic and brand awareness- even with the typically tiny response/utilization rate from the media… anything piracy related comes immediately to mind…:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Ordinaryseaman;12856]NEW ORLEANS – What’s pink, has red eyes and leaps around a Louisiana shipping channel long enough for you to believe your eyes? A rare albino bottlenose dolphin. Bottlenose dolphins are common in the lower Calcasieu Ship Channel, feeding in the deep water and riding on top of boats’ waves. And when the pink one jumps amid four dark gray dolphins, it’s easy to spot.
The albino is just the 14th reported worldwide, and the third in the Gulf of Mexico, according to biologist Dagmar Fertl of Plano, Texas.
It was first reported by Wesley Lockard of Rayville, La., as a small calf in June 2007. Lockard, 26, said he and family members were fishing when they were stunned by the sight. “Something comes up and you say, Wow! Did I just ...?' Then he comes up again and you say,Yeah! I just saw a pink dolphin!’” he said.
Now, the mammal is as much a part of the channel south of Lake Charles as boats and fishermen.

Story here-

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090528/ap_on_fe_st/us_odd_pink_dolphin_7[/QUOTE]

[B]I also spotted a “pink dolphin”, the first report in the Gulf, unfortunatly the article is in black/white, my computer with original color photos got stolen, so I cant see the color, but it was really pink.[/B]
[B][/B]
[B]it’s the second photo in THIS ARTICLE[/B]
[B][/B]

The pink dolphin is still here.

Saw it yesterday as we were coming in, just off the pilot station at the South Monkey Island Cut.

Wonder what he’s worth on the orential “medicine” market??? 10k - 50k ?? You know some damm nut will try to kill em’