Have you ever been the whipping boy? Here's your chance to tell your story

Have you ever been the “whipping boy” or the “cabin boy”?

That is kind of what I am living right now.

Anybody got any good sea stories they care to share?

You tell me yours I’ll tell you mine.

LOL LOL who do you work for

Gross man! We come here to talk about boats and work, not that type of stuff!!

hahahahaahhaaahhahah
maybe he/she is one of the East Village Freaks I see in my neighborhood all the time.

You could at least serve some cheese with that whine, all the best pity parties do.

Don’t mean to sound indifferent but I hope you find your balls soon. Sounds like you should quit, it will free your soul and allow you to focus on the future. Life is too short.

[QUOTE=OICUR12;33474]Have you ever been the “whipping boy” or the “cabin boy”?

That is kind of what I am living right now.

Anybody got any good sea stories they care to share?

You tell me yours I’ll tell you mine.[/QUOTE]

I can tell you that it’s certainly a good stepping stone to a DPO position at Seadrill.

Well, you know what they say about sailors.

But no I was not talking about your gay lovers.

I like the one about being a DPO trainee though. I guess some consulation on that is at least you are getting your days in towards DPO. Not much consulation at the time when you are getting crapped on.

If you have made a job change lately then you know the syndrome.

You can have references coming out your ears but they are gonna stick you on a boat with the biggest jerk they got to see if you can hack it without losing your cool.

I agree life is too short but in this economy life is also to short to be standing in line for bread and mush or food stamps.

The laws of supply and demand crack me up.

If they are short on wheelman you are going strait to the boat and probably strait on watch when you get there.

If they have more than enough help to go around then you are going to have to “post” with captain my way or the highway.

Having two wheelmen in the wh at the same time is like having two women under the same roof. Just don’t work.

Let me finish by saying, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

My, My! It must be hard to work offshore when most of us do it to get away from bitchy women. I only know you slightly from reading your posts but you remind me of my cousin. He is a diver and he has worked for every company on the west coast and nearly every one in the gulf. While his fellows are pulling in six figures that don’t begin with 1 he is making as much as a deckhand by the end of the year. Because he thinks life should be more fair and the people that he’s competing with for jobs should want to hear him whine. He gets fired or run off from every job because he takes everything personally.

Life isn’t fair and no one wants to hear about it. When you see someone that is happy and successful, that doesn’t mean that they don’t have problems like you do. They do. Everybody does! They simply choose not to dwell on it and move on. Happiness is a choice you can make every day, nothing more.

"When you see someone that is happy and successful, that doesn’t mean that they don’t have problems like you do. They do. Everybody does! They simply choose not to dwell on it and move on. Happiness is a choice you can make every day, nothing more. "

excellent advice for all of us.

thank you Hawsepiper.

To the original poster…Thank me later for the agony that I am going to save you…DP training is not “double penetration training”. Don’t worry about what it means in regards to the maritime world as you will learn the real meaning later. Just remember what it doesn’t mean in regards to your career, and you should stay safe and pure. Good luck amigo!

I like whipping my cabin boy.
He likes it too.

I can see now probably never should have started this one. Already spiraling out of control. Too many angry people out there looking for an outlet. Guess you found one in this thread. Glad I could help.

Just remember this. If you are a captain that has a few years in with the same company try to remember what it was like to be the new guy. I have worked with so many guys in the last couple years that seem to have forgotten where they came from.

I treat my deckhands with respect as long as they do the same for me. I have been licensed goin on 14 years now and I still remember what it was like. I will never forget.

I am from the new school. Old school is dying out. Treating people like crap and expecting respect in return never works. They may respect you to your face but what about when you get off the boat or leave the room.

I have never had a deckhand walk off my boat when I was running captain. As a matter of fact most every deckhand I got would request a transfer to my boat. This was not because I let them get away with murder or run the deck but because I treated them with respect and realized that these men have families to feed too.

I give Sundays off besides basic watch standing duties for worship or just to have some down time to call home or watch a movie. Guys really appreciate that and will work harder for you in the long run.

I have seen captains micro manage guys to the point that they would walk off.

I tell my guys no tv on watch, no sleeping on watch, and stay busy doing something productive. Keep me in the loop on what you are doing but you may pick your own jobs to stay busy on watch.

I know when i was on deck I always enjoyed doing something I found for myself to do much more than something someone else found for me to do.

Different strokes for different folks though.

My job change was not by my own choice. This economy sucks right now. It took me every bit of a year to garner just a little bit of respect from my coworkers at my last job because of the same types of attitudes I see on here.

Now i am the new guy again and it sucks. But I am ex military so i know how to hack the bs. But finding someone to confide in when you are being mistreated is pretty tough. Maybe that is what i was looking for on here. But this is just like the boat. A whole lot of jerks and back stabbers waiting to pounce because they are angry people inside. I pitty you.

It’s the guys that let you talk, listen, and offer kind advice without running to someone else to tell on you that become good friends and not just shipmates.

I have developed a low tolerance for bs over the years. I did not ask to be put in this position and I do not dwell on anything. I have a friend in JC even if no one else on the boat is fit to talk to.

Plan b is ready to go. just biding my time and making some days.

I don’t know about the “happy and successfull” thing. I don’t see alot of “happy” people out here or even on here for that matter. Are you really “happy” when you make posts like that?

You are probably happy that you are in charge and get to throw your weight around.

A good leader asks his people to work with him not for him.

As for the “bitchy” response. I bet you are a great ladies man. You sound like a really good listener. I bet you have a really good home life especially if you look forward to going back offshore to get away from it.

As for the “finding my balls” one. Strap your balls on as the new guy and see how long it takes before you get ambush crew changed tough guy. If you got any sense you keep your “balls” tucked away in a safe spot because there are so many guys just waitin to bust them just like on here, eh?

As for the DP thing. I could care less about that anymore. I thought at one time I should jump onboard the DP bandwagon to try and keep up with industry changes and stay marketable. But I have realized that the only guys getting a shot at DP are the ones that know someone or that are coming strait out of the academies. I can’t compete with that and never will be able to so I have stopped trying.
I can retire from what I am doing now and I still have many years left to go before that day comes.

Ok lets have some more homosexual jokes.