Has anyone gone through the veterans program at Paul Hall

Hello I am currently an EN1 in the navy and I am going to go through the veterans program at the Paul Hall Center in January for fowt. I was just wondering if anyone here has gone through the veterans program and if so what are your thoughts on it.

Good program, but keep in mind that it’s also tailored and designed to help you join the Seafarer’s International Union. If that’s what you want to do, great. Have you been evaluated at all by the U.S. Coast Guard as to what you’re eligible/ineligible for? Have you talked to MSC about crossing over?

<P>So far in all my dealings with SIU I have nothing but great things to say about them. Is there any reason that I shouldn’t join SIU. As far as being evaluated by the coast gaurd I ran into a problem with the nmc. My application from the Paul Hall Center was sent to the nmc back in may and they lost it. So the PHC had to send another one which hopefully will be processed faster because they lost the first one. I have not talked to msc because from what I hear you dont get very much time off and since I am married that would be a problem. </P>

There’s nothing wrong with the SIU if you don’t mind someone being in control of your destiny, and your career progression. If that’s what you need, or want, then by all means continue to proceed. There are however, other options.<br><br>That being said, why are you only looking at FOWT as an EN1? I have friends that are Navy (Ret) EM’s that were evaluated, and qualified to sit for their original 3rd Assistant Engineers license. Is there a reason why you don’t want to go that route? When are you scheduled to get off of active? Have you had anyone else other than PHC look at your quals and seatime? Did they only ask for the evaluation for FOWT, or did they shoot for something higher? <br><br>It’s in their interest to add you to the roles as a dues paying member; not to get you what you deserve, or what you may be qualified for is my point. <br><br>Here’s a partial list of the requirements to sit for your original 3 A/E:<br><br><strong>3RD A/E – (46CFR10.516)<br>A. 1080 days of service in the engineroom, WITH 720 days as QMED,<br>1. 90 days of deck service on vessels over 100 GRT may be creditable, OR<br>B. 1080 days of service as an apprentice to the machinist trade WITH 360 days service in engineroom as Oiler, Watertender, or Jr. Engineer, OR<br>C. Graduate of USMAA (engineering), USCGA w/EOW qual, USNA w/EOW qual, or approved Maritime Academy engineering class per 46 CFR 310, OR<br>D. Graduate of an ABET accredited school in marine engineering course WITH 90days of service in the engineroom, OR<br>E. Graduate of mechanical or electrical engineering course of an ABET accredited school of technology, WITH 180 days service in the engineroom, OR<br>F. Completion of an approved three year apprentice engineer training program, approved by NMC, OR<br>G. 360 days service as Chief Engineer (Limited-Near Coastal) with appropriate examination<br></strong><br>You can find a complete listing of checklists and licensure requirements at this website:<br><br>USCG NMC Engineering Officers Licenses<br><br>As for MSC, unfortunately that’s the biggest complaint, and their greatest downfall.<br><br>I don’t mean to dissuade you from the path you’re on, but I think you may be selling yourself short without even realizing it. Have a fresh set of eyes take a look at your experience, and service time, and see if you can step up to another plain for yourself, and your family.<br><br>If you have any questions, there’s a few Engineer’s out there that may be able to shed a bit more light on the subject for you. <br><br>Best of luck…<br><br><br><br>

First of all thanks for your feedback I really appreciate it. As I was looking at that list for 3rd I dont meet any of those qualifications. I have only been in the navy for 8yrs and I only have 2yrs 7months and 26 days of sea time. Your retired friends have a lot more sea time than me. Its been a while since I have been on a ship and I am thinking that maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad Idea to go to the school and refresh my memory and also learn how things are done in the comercial sector. I am sure that it is a little different than the navy. It might take me a little while longer to get to chief engineer starting as an oiler but I will eventually get there.

“I have only been in the navy for 8yrs and I only have 2yrs 7months and 26 days of sea time.” <br>So have you been doing while off ship? It may be creditable if it involves engineering/running diesels. Get your experience evaluated by the USCG, not SIU.

The SIU evaluation is pretty reliable./ They are very knowledgeable and experienced and it is rare that they are wrong. I would not waste your time or the Coast Guard’s in applying just to find out.<br><br>Navy time is usually only accepted at 60% as they typically spend far more time in port or inactive than a commercial vessel. <br><br>Closely related service is generally limited to renewing a license, not for original issuance or upgrade. Time ashore “running diesels’ probably isn’t going to be accepted for an original license.<br><br>If you are looking at getting a license, get the remaining time as soon as possible and apply. In the near future the Coast Guard will implement STCW for engineering licenses and you’ll need significant training and assessment. Get the license before that happens.<br><br>James D. Cavo<br>Chief, Mariner Training & Assessment Division<br>USCG National Maritime Center<br>[<font color=”#3354aa]James.D.Cavo@uscg.mil</font>](mailto:James.D.Cavo@uscg.mil)

By all means set for the license as soon as possible. You can see how screwed up the deck licensing process has become. You can make book the new engineer’s requirements will be as rediculous.<br><br>The SIU doesn’t control your destiny but there are some excellent training programs to help you advance. The pumpman, refer maintainace and electrician courses appear to be very good. The dues and initiation fees are much cheaper than paying out of pocket for all required courses. Your transportation costs to school are paid after you’re a member in good standing, as is flop and slop. Some of the non-union companies also have some good programs. Weigh your options and good luck.