Hackers Breached Propulsion System of US-Bound Oil Tanker

I’m a little bit surprised at the lack of expedient disclosure of any useful information regarding the manufacturer of the vessels propulsion and automation control system.

If there is a risk, it should be broadcast. What is the exact vulnerability, what platform/software/version is affected, what year range of installation, etc.

Has anyone presently afloat received any technical bulletins from the likes of Kongsberg, Wartsila, ABB or others in the market since this incident?

It was probably the phishing message that the ship was approved for a business loan but just a little more information was required.

If you think anything will ever happen to the hackers and scammers think again.

I heard that it was to do with the extended warranty.

I’m not really concerned with what happens to the hackers and scammers in this case.

I’m interested in identifying the vulnerabilities.

I’ve always worked with systems that had a fair amount of security resilience, but the risk wasn’t (and I suspect still isn’t) fully engineered out. It still relied on crew members following easily breakable protocols to prevent the opportunity for malware incursions.