Gulf Coast Road Trip

So I finally got my new license in the Mail today, AB Special and 100 ton Master.

I am looking to get on to a OSV or crew boat in the Gulf. I have started to submit resumes but I think a road trip is in order to go chase down a job in person. I will be leaving from south Florida (a stack of resumes in hand) and I will stop in Tampa first. Then along the coast to finally end up in New Orleans. I am planning on visiting most of the offshore companies. So with this in mind, I have a few questions:
#1 As I have always been in the yacht side of the business, how should I dress when approaching these companies?
#2 Are most companies OK with you dropping in?
#3 Any specific geographic areas I should concentrate on? Mobile AL? Galliano LA? Tampa FL
#4 Any other ideas?
Thanks

Hey man. Do a search of ‘a chateau on the bayou’ on gCaptain or google. It is a B and B in south LA, apparently close to most of the boat companies. They can point you in the right direction once you get to LA.

Sent from my SeaPhone using gCaptain

You should look presentable. That does not mean suit & tie. You need to give an impression that you care what you look like. This is just common sense. They way they look at it, how are you going to maintain their multi-million dollar vessel if you cant maintain your own appearance. Get a haircut, shave, if you have any visible peircings, remove them.

All the OSV companies are ok with you dropping in, & most really do not have much use for those resume’s, they want you to fill out an application.

As for the OSV companies, I would start in Raceland, La. On LA-1 & work your way down. Lots of companies down there. G.O.L. L&M Botruc, Chouest, Harvey-Gulf, Gulf Logistics, etc. etc.

An extra little tip for you: If you have’nt already done so, before you head down here, get on a computer & get the contact numbers & addresses of all the companies you plan to visit beforehand, that way if you have a gps you can enter the address & thereby find them easier. And just in case, come with your seabag packed & ready to go to work, in case they need you right away,

Good luck

As previously mentioned that B&B sounds like the place to stay! I would disagree about the resume, they may just ball them up throw them in the trash, but atleast you look like you are prepared when you walk in. I agree with looking nice, khaki pants / collared shirt. Search threads here and just google search for all the companies, have the contact info. Have a plan of action. And last but not least, if you get to the end of the road and don’t have a job yet go back to them all again, show persistence. Just tell them the second time you wanted to stop in one more time before you left town and that you would really like to work for there company. Another thing, do some research on the companies equipment, know some back ground to throw out there during an interview to make yourself look good! Good luck and I hope you get a start down there!

Thanks to all for your advice. Looks like I have a lot of prep to do prior to leaving.

So I got a job at chouest, I signed on as a OS/cook as I did not have a RFPNW. I figured it was a way in. I completed training today and I ship out tomorrow. I am very happy so far. I would suggest to anyone considering applying at chouest to visit their personal doctor before you come down if you have any issues. For example, if you have High Blood Pressure or previous surgeries the chouest doctor is going to want documentation on this issue. The process can be long and confusing. I have met several applicants who were frustrated.

Good luck!

[QUOTE=psquiggs;64963]So I got a job at chouest, I signed on as a OS/cook as I did not have a RFPNW. I figured it was a way in. I completed training today and I ship out tomorrow. I am very happy so far. I would suggest to anyone considering applying at chouest to visit their personal doctor before you come down if you have any issues. For example, if you have High Blood Pressure or previous surgeries the chouest doctor is going to want documentation on this issue. The process can be long and confusing. I have met several applicants who were frustrated.[/QUOTE]

Best wishes to you.
Can’t wait to hear all about the meals you cook out there.
In regards to the medical process, you perservered and made it through.
That’s all that counts.
Have fun on your first hitch out.

[QUOTE=psquiggs;64963]So I got a job at chouest, I signed on as a OS/cook as I did not have a RFPNW. I figured it was a way in. [/QUOTE]

Congratulations, and you have the right attitude. Get your foot in the door and prove yourself.

From everything I’ve read, Chouest has a good program to help their employees advance.

Be safe out there.

[QUOTE=psquiggs;64963]So I got a job at chouest, I signed on as a OS/cook as I did not have a RFPNW. I figured it was a way in. I completed training today and I ship out tomorrow. I am very happy so far. I would suggest to anyone considering applying at chouest to visit their personal doctor before you come down if you have any issues. For example, if you have High Blood Pressure or previous surgeries the chouest doctor is going to want documentation on this issue. The process can be long and confusing. I have met several applicants who were frustrated.[/QUOTE]

I am a cook by trade and now I’m green with envy. Seriously, I wish you the best of luck. My guess is that the best way to get a foot in the door at ECO is to literally walk in their door and be somewhat persistent. Or maybe take some of my cinnamon rolls.

[QUOTE=jarchack;65414]I am a cook by trade and now I’m green with envy. Seriously, I wish you the best of luck. My guess is that the best way to get a foot in the door at ECO is to literally walk in their door and be somewhat persistent. Or maybe take some of my cinnamon rolls.[/QUOTE]

The cinnamon rolls are a good idea, seriously. You have to set yourself apart. When I went around last time I brought along a regional food product dfrom home that was not produced in Louisiana. Left it with the HR person at any company where I had a half way reasonable interview.

Good luck!