GMDSS requirements

My first thread here so let me know if I’m breaking any rules please. Just got a job on a GOM supply vessel as a trainee. Have a 1600 master but no gmdss cert. The vessel Im assigned to has gmdss equip. but is not a SOLAS vessel. My company says I need to have the license just to even ride as a mate. Is this correct? If so can anyone show me where it says so 'cause I looked everywhere. I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Not true, unless there is just a Master and a Mate on board, because you must have two licensees on board a GMDSS equipped vessel. So while you’re a trainee you should not have an issue if you’re sailing as an extra person.

GMDSS requirements apply to all passenger vessels engaged in international voyages and all cargo vessels over 300 tons. All vessels coming under GMDSS jurisdiction must carry at least 2 persons holding a FCC GMDSS Radio Operator license with 1 person designated as having primary responsibility during distress. The GMDSS sea areas in which the vessel operates determine equipment carriage and maintenance requirements. All vessels were required to be GMDSS compliant Feb. 1, 1999 and GMDSS is now in full force and effect.

I would think that if they hired you they would also be willing to send you to school for GMDSS. You should contact your training department for information.

Click HERE for a bunch of GMDSS information

Click HERE for the FCC Rules about GMDSS

Thanks alot dougpine. That answers my question. I guess I’ll be going to school soon then.

I was looking at taking this course at Young Memorial. They say that they do not cover any of the FCC material required for the license.

The FCC requires that you pass Element 1 and 7. I have already passed element 1 when I got my MROP. So my question is do I have to retake both elements? If anybody else has taken this course how did you overcome this obstacle.

this has been some time ago…went to LAMPI in Houma, LA…already had the FCC MROP and was only required to test element 7 for FCC GMDSS operator permit…that took a half a day…then took the GMDSS operator course to get the STCW certificate…that course was 2 weeks and very expensive at the time…then there was the wait for the FCC license and the STCW endorsedment!!

[quote=skycowboy;22678]I was looking at taking this course at Young Memorial. They say that they do not cover any of the FCC material required for the license.

The FCC requires that you pass Element 1 and 7. I have already passed element 1 when I got my MROP. So my question is do I have to retake both elements? If anybody else has taken this course how did you overcome this obstacle.[/quote]

If you need both an FCC license and STCW, make sure the course you go to is approved by the Coast Guard for STCW. Not all courses that lead to the FCC license are approved for STCW. If the course you are looking at is less than 70 hours (most FCC-only courses are) than it is not approved by the Coast Guard for STCW. A list of USCG-approved GMDSS courses is on the National Maritime Center web page.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;22687]If you need both an FCC license and STCW, make sure the course you go to is approved by the Coast Guard for STCW. Not all courses that lead to the FCC license are approved for STCW. If the course you are looking at is less than 70 hours (most FCC-only courses are) than it is not approved by the Coast Guard for STCW. A list of USCG-approved GMDSS courses is on the National Maritime Center web page.[/QUOTE]

Not all STCW courses take care of the FCC portion either, but some of the USCG approved courses that are taught by an instructor that has a GMDSS maintainer’s license may use your final examination for the FCC portion as well. I would ask the questions both ways.

Young Memorial has a class scheduled for 1/25 thru 2/5 for $455.00 and for another $50.00 you can have the element 7. The cost seems pretty reasonable compared to HOuston although I’ve never attended a class at Young and don’t know the quality of the courses. Although the course is on the list of approved courses, I’m suspicious of the huge cost difference.

Young Memorial is part of the Louisiana Technical College System. The courses have always been cheaper than most because of that reason. Every CG approved course is held to the same standard, and usually pretty much the same, with some minor differences which is usually easy to figure out by reading the approval letter from NMC’s website.

Yes it is very reasonable, due to it being a state college and not profit driven. They have a cap on the costs. I would recommend it. If Terry Stout is still instructing there, it’s a great class.

I have to agree with Anchorman and RJBPilot, I have attended young memorial for various classes, as well not other professional maritime schools. Y&M is as good as any and much less expensive because they are part of the state education system.

You might check with their admissions dept.,and ask if they have any grant money available. They actually do from time to time,but they might not tell you if you don’t ask.:smiley: