FCC Marine Radio Operator's Permit

I just got off the phone with a very helpful young lady at the FCC Licensing Office. I told her my story which is. My FCC Marine Radio Operator Permit expired in 2010. When I called to get it renewed they told me that I was grandfathered in for life and that my GMDSS Operator License superceded the Radio Operator Permit since I had taken Element One and Seven to tget the GMDSS License. I no longer have a hard copy of my old FCC permit. The problem is that twice now since 2010, I was turned down for employment by companies whose HR personnel said I was ineligible for the job since I didn’t have the FCC MROP.

She gave me good news and confirmed that I do indeed have a valid radio license with the GMDSS. She also told me that for NO FEE, I can fill out Main Form 605 and the Form 605 Schedule E, attach a copy of my STCW GMDSS qualifications and they would send a paper copy of an FCC MROP.

I don’t know if anyone else has come across this problem, but if you have here you go! Hope it helps.

I have not had this particular FCC license problem, but I have had others.

The problem of know nothing HR clerks who are unthinking slaves to their checklists, and do not understand that superior licenses and certification supercede lessor documents is here to stay and growing.

Its not just a US problem either; it knows no boundaries.

BUMP for anyone who needs this info

Virtually nobody should need this info. They cover it ad nauseam in GMDSS class about the lifetime licenses and the Element 3 superceding the Element 1.

If you go to the FCC website you can view your licenses/permits. If you have an expiration date on your MRO permit just change some tidbit of personal information and they’ll send you a new copy with no expiration on it.

Just fill out the online forms…they’ll send you the new ones.

That never worked for me. I got a new one a few years ago and they actually made me pay for the stupid thing.

[QUOTE=New3M;140287]That never worked for me. I got a new one a few years ago and they actually made me pay for the stupid thing.[/QUOTE]

I have recommended people just contact the FCC and tell them they lost it. So far it has been re-issued without charge every time.

[QUOTE=SeamanWilly;140188]Virtually nobody should need this info. They cover it ad nauseam in GMDSS class about the lifetime licenses and the Element 3 superceding the Element 1.[/QUOTE]
Well gee whiz douchebag. I guess you were actually awake that day in class. I took my class 2002 way before the changes took place.