GLMA Class of 2015

I figured I would start this thread under Great Lakes for anyone who is looking at attending, applied to, or has been accepted to Great Lakes Maritime Academy.

I will be starting on my journey to become a Merchant Mariner in August of 2016 at Great Lakes Maritime Academy.

My name is Maguire Ward, I am 18, and currently live in Utah.

Please feel free to leave your name, age, and any information you think is pertinent to you for anyone else to know.

Looking forward to responses.

I’ll be attending in August 2016 as well. 23 years old and born and raised in Southern California. I’m going deck.

heres my email: crhilb@gmail.com

Hopefully we can get a group together and help each other out.

Welcome to GLMA guys. I’m a year ahead of you, in the deck department. Name is Lee. You’ll love the school. Just wait until you taste Chef Carl’s cooking on the training ship.

If there’s anything you want to know or ask, let me know.

Hey guys, glad you started this! I will be starting 2016 as well. I’m from northern Wisconsin and working as a ferry captain currently. Any of you have maritime backgrounds or just getting started? Im deck as well but somebody there kept pushing me to go for engineering did you all get the same push?

Hello everyone! Ill be one of the new cadets in fall 2016 for deck training. Second attempt to post, not sure why the first never went through. Anybody know if we’re on the ship for the first few weeks during survival training? If so for how long and do we have to stay on the boat 24/7?

Yes you will be on the ship for the first two weeks. There will be a little bit of down time after you’re done with classes for the day, but some days you’ll have to be on gangway watch or there may be training scheduled in the evening. Do not try to work a part time job during those two weeks. You’ll be busy each day and then be studying at night and rotating on gangway watch.
Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Little late to the party on this one. I jut finished testing a few days ago and am awaiting my 3rd mate unlimited and GL first class license to come through. It’s a great experience. I have 3 job offers already. This is an exceptional career. If anyone has questions about the school or the career, feel free to ask.

Hi everyone, got a quick question for you. I’m applying for Fall 2016 and pretty much have all my ducks in a row, but was wanting to know what your experience was when you visited GLMA. Was it handled more like an interview, or a tour? I’ve got my heart set on GLMA and if it’s the former, I’d rather show up well dressed than underdressed (or not overdressed if it’s the latter).

Thank you.

I went in twice, once for a tour of the facility and once for the ship(since the ship was in dry dock for the first visit). It is very much a tour to show you what the academy has to offer but they do ask some questions about you. I think you should dress for an interview but this tour is more to make sure you know what your getting into(thats what ive taken away from it). I have said before I wont start until fall but I did my research on what this line of work entails and what they will expect of me during my 4 years. If you go in knowing some key things and are able to ask some on point questions about what they offer, I believe it will help show your interested in this line of work not just looking to spend 4 years hanging out around the docks. I didnt have a suit and tie or anything but nobody else did either. Just look sharp and focus on what they can offer you and what you bring to them that will speak more for you than a tie.

Thank you very much GreatLakesMariner. It sounds like I have already done one of the things you mentioned (I even have a list of questions developed) and I think your last line about “what I can bring to them” is paramount. Your comment about “just staying around a dock for 4 years” I suppose is meant by an unprepared cadet who is lost in the fantasy and not the reality of the maritime industry/academy demands.

Again, thank you. This opportunity means a lot to me and I want to put my best foot forward in any way I can.

I’m going to be at the GLMA in August of 2016 as well.

My name is Noah, I’m 20 years old, and I have a twin brother in his second year at the United States Merchant Marine Academy.

I felt like the visit was mostly an interview. It wasn’t a big deal. Be sure to have a basic understanding of the maritime career field, and to put your best foot forward. If you seem genuinely interested and convey a good work ethic and decent academic ability, you’re in.

[QUOTE=stldrew84;178239]Thank you very much GreatLakesMariner. It sounds like I have already done one of the things you mentioned (I even have a list of questions developed) and I think your last line about “what I can bring to them” is paramount. Your comment about “just staying around a dock for 4 years” I suppose is meant by an unprepared cadet who is lost in the fantasy and not the reality of the maritime industry/academy demands.

Again, thank you. This opportunity means a lot to me and I want to put my best foot forward in any way I can.[/QUOTE]

The visit in Traverse City went quite well, I’ll be seeing you all this coming August aboard the State of Michigan.

[QUOTE=stldrew84;179141]The visit in Traverse City went quite well, I’ll be seeing you all this coming August aboard the State of Michigan.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations, and I will see you there.

Accepted and Attending in 2017. Deck. Traverse City Native :slight_smile:

Going to the academy in the fall. I’m a resident of Traverse City, TC. Looking forward to meeting you all then. Met Scott Fairbanks the other day and his a nice guy. You all get signed up for your classes yet?

[QUOTE=Friendlee;182106]Going to the academy in the fall. I’m a resident of Traverse City, TC. Looking forward to meeting you all then. Met Scott Fairbanks the other day and his a nice guy. You all get signed up for your classes yet?[/QUOTE]

Im all signed up for fall. I can’t wait to start. Quick question, do they salt the roads in TC? I’m worried about my jeep.

Yes signed up for classes. Worked out great for the first semester. Nothing after 3pm. Now trying to find dog friendly housing. Seems like emerald apartments are the only affordable options.

I’ve registered for classes as well. Think I’m gonna go the Craigslist route to find a place. Prices for renting rooms on there look more affordable and are within better walking/biking distance (sometimes).

Goodluck with the dog friendly housing, I’ve dealt with that struggle before and know how frustrating it can be.

If most of your classes are at the academy, look at apartments downtown, I don’t know what they run, but I think they are dog friendly.

I’m hoping to field a team for at least the CYC to Mac sailing race from the academy in the next 2-3 years. It maybe ambitious, but I at least want to try it. Anyone in the incoming class is interested in sailing in long distance races? I plan to talk to the academy about this next fall. I’m just looking for any interest, no experience or commitment nessicary.