GLMA Class of 2015

Check out Bay Hill apartments for dog friendly. It takes me less than ten minutes to drive or bike to class and lots of dogs around. Decent neighborhood, cheap car ports.

I’d be interested in long distance sailing. Done plenty of cruising and chartering but never raced. Just as a heads up, don’t expect too much at all from the GLMA sailing team. That was probably the one big disappointment I had about the academy.

Personally I have never sailed before, better yet I haven’t been on the water too much, but enough to know that I love it. It would be something I would look into doing though.

Id think about some sailing but what kind of boats is it? The 420s and lasers the school has or did you have something bigger in mind? Also checked out bay hill apartments, looks perfect but it has some crazy reviews. Have you ever lived here?

My goal is to do something a bit bigger, like the CYC to Mac race or something more long distance and competitive. I do not know how those apartments are, where are they at, I can drive by them and tell you about the part of town they are in.

I currently live there. There’s some interesting people that live there but for the price and location you can’t beat it. The office lady is nice and the apartments are clean.

I’m flying out later this month to visit the campus as part of the application process. If anyone wants to grab a beer while I’m in town let me know!

Anybody going to the Captain’s dinner?

[QUOTE=Friendlee;182982]Anybody going to the Captain’s dinner?[/QUOTE]
I didn’t go but I am curious what they raffled off there.

A bunch of stuff. Lots of gift certificates and paintings. Also some miscellaneous items like a GLMA flag. It was a good time. The State of Michigan pulled out of the dock last Monday for the cadet’s training trip around the great lakes.

Hi awesome thread,

Im actually looking start this fall and wanted to know if anyone had any information about the engineering program. I have a ton of STCW classes completed and transfering from another academy and wondering do the transfer any STCW.

Im also concerned about the ability to work and find decent housing in the area that is affordable. Im planning a visit in a few weeks and looking to get my acceptance.

This school looks like its going to be an amazing opportunity and Im excited but its going to be a huge move as Im moving from the West Coast and Im much older…

How is the engineering program? Do they accept STCW from other academies? Im really thinking about transferring to this school?

[QUOTE=Friendlee;184137]A bunch of stuff. Lots of gift certificates and paintings. Also some miscellaneous items like a GLMA flag. It was a good time. The State of Michigan pulled out of the dock last Monday for the cadet’s training trip around the great lakes.[/QUOTE]

Actually pulled out today. Took us about a week of preparations. Writing this from the fantail of the State of Michigan just north of Grand Traverse Bay. The view is fucking amazing.

Glad to hear it,can’t wait to see those views myself someday. Stay safe out there, and share picture or two if you can.

Hey guys -

Looks like I’ll be joining you all in August in TC. 20 years old, coming from Florida.
Looking forward to meeting you all come the start of the semester.

Looking forward to meeting you, I spent a good bit of time in Florida (Pensacola mainly, with spots in Sarasota). Invest in a good winter coat now while the sales are on, you’re gonna need it up in TC :wink:

[QUOTE=stldrew84;184861] Invest in a good winter coat now while the sales are on, you’re gonna need it up in TC ;)[/QUOTE]

Better add to that a good pair of Yooper wingtips and also a good pair of choppers.

[QUOTE=water;184869]Better add to that a good pair of Yooper wingtips and also a good pair of choppers.[/QUOTE]

For those of us who haven’t been fully indoctrinated into the mariner slang, what is a “Yooper Wingtip” and “Choppers”? Scratching my head atm lol

[QUOTE=stldrew84;184896]For those of us who haven’t been fully indoctrinated into the mariner slang, what is a “Yooper Wingtip” and “Choppers”? Scratching my head atm lol[/QUOTE]

One of these would be handy, too, and very appreciated come January, or likely earlier for those from points south:

Hows it going everybody? Got the updates for our first day, seems very ceremonial. I have to say Im a little excited to be back into school. Eleven hour shifts make 4 years of 8-3 seem pretty nice haha. Im still curious how next summer is going to turn out on board the T/S State of Michigan. Appears like the first sea project happens in rotations. Not 100 days at a time but shorter rotations. It says in the packet it holds only 40 cadets at a time. Not sure how it all works but like anything, Im guessing we will have to figure it out as we go. Anybody else here applying for jobs while in school?

Doing well, can’t wait to get up there myself. And yeah, I’m excited to leave the boring cubicle life myself.

Yeah I noticed the ship docked briefly not too long ago, I wonder if the cadets were rotated out at that time. Of course, I bet we’ll all figure this out once we get there. Planning on applying for jobs once I understand exactly what the first two weeks aboard the ship will be with regards to if we’re just “sleeping” on it, or actually “living” on it.

Oh, almost forgot. I was talking with another cadet and he mentioned that if you have all your documents together (TWIC, Passport, and MMC with Deckhand option), you can apply for what he referred to as “Winter Relief” positions aboard the ships in the Great Lakes (I can assume elsewhere possibly but transportation may be an issue). I’m going to start applying soon, but from what he said the pay wasn’t bad and gets you some more experience/connections out there. Just have to sacrifice Christmas with the family though.