Getting into Dynamic Positioning?

I like pretzels!

We treat cadets on board ship worse then they get treated on here. I think if you give them too many freebies you actually hurt them in the long run.

Edit: They’re only treated worse asking redundant question like that. To the OP. Its hard to imagine but some people on here are actually doing you a favor. Good luck to you.

[QUOTE=Flyer69;117086]I like pretzels![/QUOTE]

delicious and nutritious too…two meals in one!

[QUOTE=MFOWelectrician;117090]We treat cadets on board ship worse then they get treated on here. I think if you give them too many freebies you actually hurt them in the long run.
[/QUOTE]

I’ve caught a couple ships where the so-called leadership was a dickish little academy clique. I come to go to work but get treated like an outcast. Fuck em, when the shit hits the fan they going to need the crew but they got their heads too far up their ass to know that.

My approach is to treat joining crew with respect and change cadets from liability to asset as quickly and efficiently as possible. Of course they are expected to pull their own weight, if they don’t we make it worth their while to up their game. It’s basic management. .

Some guys get upset because they think KP has it to easy compared to them. Life’s not fair, get over it.

I’ve had cadets come back as mate and thank me and my crew for showing them the ropes.

Maybe I should of said I’ve seen cadets get treated worse. Re-read my post, didn’t sound the way I wanted.

[QUOTE=MFOWelectrician;117134]Maybe I should of said I’ve seen cadets get treated worse. Re-read my post, didn’t sound the way I wanted.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I figured as much, my rant appears to be a response to your remarks but I was recalling a couple ships where the abuse of the cadets was standard practice

I think a lot of major incidents could have been better contained if the crew was more cohesive etc.

[QUOTE=Max94;116921]Hello,

I’m currently in my Junior year at USMMA as a deck major, after graduation I will receive my 3rd mates unlimited. I was interested in pursuing a job in the oil-field, hopefully DP on a drill ship. I am planning on taking the basic Dynamic Positioning class before graduation. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for how to get a job as a DP officer on a drill ship? Or does anyone know of any internships that any of the companies have, that I would be able to apply for?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Max[/QUOTE]

To all you Gcaptain forum writing regulars, (especially you, Mr. Ccaptain) please remind Max, and any future USSMA cadets and recent grads that his/her first responsibility as far as using that license is to work within/under its capacity as either 3AE or 3M on an American flag vessel for the first 5 years after graduation, There is, at best one USA flag drill ship (if it still exists), everything else is foreign flag.

Max, tax payers didn’t cough (including me) up 90% of your scool bills at KP so you could be a button pushing DPO on a Marshall Islands MODU. You have to go look for ELIGIBLE work first and then apply for a waiver to MARAD (if unsuccessful) to work outside of that obligation. If you can get a mate job on a mudboat, a tug boat, or the bolivar roads ferry then that comes before working anything foreign flag. Period.

I’d love to see every one of you kids who come out of KP and go work for the drillers (without MARAD consent) for insane amounts of money but know absolutely nothing get hung by your nuts for not complying with your CONTRACTUAL obligations. You didn’t go to Maine or SUNY or CMA or MASS or even A&M, so you don’t get to do what you want when you graduate.

I went to KP and every time I hear crap like this I wish the “mental institution” that it is would disappear.

[QUOTE=“Johnny Canal;117189”]

To all you Gcaptain forum writing regulars, (especially you, Mr. Ccaptain) please remind Max, and any future USSMA cadets and recent grads that his/her first responsibility as far as using that license is to work within/under its capacity as either 3AE or 3M on an American flag vessel for the first 5 years after graduation, There is, at best one USA flag drill ship (if it still exists), everything else is foreign flag.

Max, tax payers didn’t cough (including me) up 90% of your scool bills at KP so you could be a button pushing DPO on a Marshall Islands MODU. You have to go look for ELIGIBLE work first and then apply for a waiver to MARAD (if unsuccessful) to work outside of that obligation. If you can get a mate job on a mudboat, a tug boat, or the bolivar roads ferry then that comes before working anything foreign flag. Period.

I’d love to see every one of you kids who come out of KP and go work for the drillers (without MARAD consent) for insane amounts of money but know absolutely nothing get hung by your nuts for not complying with your CONTRACTUAL obligations. You didn’t go to Maine or SUNY or CMA or MASS or even A&M, so you don’t get to do what you want when you graduate.

I went to KP and every time I hear crap like this I wish the “mental institution” that it is would disappear.[/QUOTE]

No need!! You already did!! Very interesting by the way, I didn’t know that about KP grads!

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;117189]To all you Gcaptain forum writing regulars, (especially you, Mr. Ccaptain) please remind Max, and any future USSMA cadets and recent grads that his/her first responsibility as far as using that license is to work within/under its capacity as either 3AE or 3M on an American flag vessel for the first 5 years after graduation, There is, at best one USA flag drill ship (if it still exists), everything else is foreign flag.

I went to KP and every time I hear crap like this I wish the “mental institution” that it is would disappear.[/QUOTE]

Excellent rant. To clear up the US flag drill ship mystery there is 1, yes just 1, the “GSF Explorer”. It is now owned by Transocean. It started life as the “Huges Glomar Explorer” to recover the sunk Russian sub in the Pacific. It was built with U.S. government funds basically with the help of Howard Hughes, and as long as it floats it is considered a U.S. government asset, and has to remain U.S. flaged. Ironically though it is very out dated for a drill ship and does not work in U.S. waters.

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;117248]Excellent rant. To clear up the US flag drill ship mystery there is 1, yes just 1, the “GSF Explorer”. It is now owned by Transocean. It started life as the “Huges Glomar Explorer” to recover the sunk Russian sub in the Pacific. It was built with U.S. government funds basically with the help of Howard Hughes, and as long as it floats it is considered a U.S. government asset, and has to remain U.S. flaged. Ironically though it is very out dated for a drill ship and does not work in U.S. waters.[/QUOTE]

I thought MarAd agreed to allow TO to reflag it?

It is still US flag

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;117189]To all you Gcaptain forum writing regulars, (especially you, Mr. Ccaptain) please remind Max, and any future USSMA cadets and recent grads that his/her first responsibility as far as using that license is to work within/under its capacity as either 3AE or 3M on an American flag vessel for the first 5 years after graduation, There is, at best one USA flag drill ship (if it still exists), everything else is foreign flag.

Is this really true? It must be somewhat easy to get MARAD to sign the waiver?

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;117248]Excellent rant. To clear up the US flag drill ship mystery there is 1, yes just 1, the “GSF Explorer”. It is now owned by Transocean. It started life as the “Huges Glomar Explorer” to recover the sunk Russian sub in the Pacific. It was built with U.S. government funds basically with the help of Howard Hughes, and as long as it floats it is considered a U.S. government asset, and has to remain U.S. flaged. Ironically though it is very out dated for a drill ship and does not work in U.S. waters.[/QUOTE]

that actually was not the one i was talking about. i was referring to MSV Q4000 (helix esg). orange semi sub modu that was outfitted with drill pkg in late 2007. originally built for cal-dive somewhere in texas. it was on site during deepwater horizon fire/clean up for quite a while. probably saw it on TV. so i stand corrected, but that the brings the tally up to 2.

[QUOTE=PDCMATE;117272]Is this really true? It must be somewhat easy to get MARAD to sign the waiver?[/QUOTE]

yes it is true. the language of MARAD obligation may have changed a bit since i graduated, but the intent was never to provide training and an education to a kid so that he could go work on a foreign flag vessel, let alone one such as MODU where he/she will learn almost nothing of practical value that helps the nation mobilize man and machine via ships in defense of national interests or the justifiable aid to our allies. it is a travesty that career drillship/semi-sub DPOs hold a license of the same authority as the rest of us. do you really want a career DPO who takes a watchstanding job on a vessel carrying vitally important military equipment/arms standing a bridge watch by himself at night transiting the singapore straits? or being in charge of a bow tie-up on a 1000 ft ship with old winches passing stoppers and figure-eighting on the bits while he watches out for the safety of ABs, linehandlers, ship’s equipment, and communicating with Capt as to progress? NOT ME.

if MARAD isn’t making sure that isn’t what is happening, then i’ll be the first to sign the petition to close it down. Maybe not specifically Max (the originator of this forum discussion), but the vast majority of KP kids are going to do first and ask for forgiveness later and that’s if MARAD even bothers to actually read the yearly service/compliance reports that said punks may or may not even be sending in. Long time problem with KP. Definitely not something I’m proud of, but certainly not how I operated. never even set foot on foreign flag until i was out the gates for 12 years.

USMMA obligation as per MARAD for anyone who is interested…

2nd page, bottom right, paragraph E, part 3.

https://webapps.marad.dot.gov/MSCS/docs/Your%20Service%20Obligation%20Pamphlet%202010.pdf

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;117284]yes it is true. the language of MARAD obligation may have changed a bit since i graduated, but the intent was never to provide training and an education to a kid so that he could go work on a foreign flag vessel, let alone one such as MODU where he/she will learn almost nothing of practical value that helps the nation mobilize man and machine via ships in defense of national interests or the justifiable aid to our allies. it is a travesty that career drillship/semi-sub DPOs hold a license of the same authority as the rest of us. do you really want a career DPO who takes a watchstanding job on a vessel carrying vitally important military equipment/arms standing a bridge watch by himself at night transiting the singapore straits? or being in charge of a bow tie-up on a 1000 ft ship with old winches passing stoppers and figure-eighting on the bits while he watches out for the safety of ABs, linehandlers, ship’s equipment, and communicating with Capt as to progress? NOT ME.
[/QUOTE]
As a DPO on a 6th generation drillship; with a good number of years experience with tugs/barges and supply ships before ever stepping onto a drillship; working with a group of DPO’s that have very similar resumes; I think your completely off. You obviously have no idea what we do, or any concept of the knowledge base of a bridge/deck crew of a modern drillship. If you did, you might be here. This sounds like the whining of someone who is upset they missed the boat, sitting on a pre-po ship in Diego.

The GSF Explorer was purchased by Transocean a year or two ago. It was reflagged to Vanuatu in June of this year. ABS: American Bureau of Shipping

[QUOTE=nauticus;117305]As a DPO on a 6th generation drillship; with a good number of years experience with tugs/barges and swent to sea in conventional sense. And the upply ships before ever stepping onto a drillship; working with a group of DPO’s that have very similar resumes; I think your completely off. You obviously have no idea what we do, or any concept of the knowledge base of a bridge/deck crew of a modern drillship. If you did, you might be here. This sounds like the whining of someone who is upset they missed the boat, sitting on a pre-po ship in Diego.[/QUOTE]

Not true. worked as dpo on modu before. I do know what goes on the bridge and do know there are lots of guys up there who never went to sea in a conventional sense. And the ones I referred in to previous post are seriously out of practice for standing an underway watch. Drillers hire brand new 3/m dpo every day. Guys like you whomi do have respect for are the exception to the new rule of cradle to the grave. I stand by what I said because I have seen it first hand.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=nauticus;117305]As a DPO on a 6th generation drillship; with a good number of years experience with tugs/barges and swent to sea in conventional sense. And the upply ships before ever stepping onto a drillship; working with a group of DPO’s that have very similar resumes; I think your completely off. You obviously have no idea what we do, or any concept of the knowledge base of a bridge/deck crew of a modern drillship. If you did, you might be here. This sounds like the whining of someone who is upset they missed the boat, sitting on a pre-po ship in Diego.[/QUOTE

Not true. worked as dpo on modu before. I do know what goes on the bridge and do know there are lots of guys up there who never went to sea in a conventional sense. And the ones I referred in to previous post are seriously out of practice for standing an underway watch. Drillers hire brand new 3/m dpo every day. Guys like you whomi do have respect for are the exception to the new rule of cradle to the grave. I stand by what I said because I have seen it first hand.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=nauticus;117305]As a DPO on a 6th generation drillship; with a good number of years experience with tugs/barges and swent to sea in conventional sense. And the upply ships before ever stepping onto a drillship; working with a group of DPO’s that have very similar resumes; I think your completely off. You obviously have no idea what we do, or any concept of the knowledge base of a bridge/deck crew of a modern drillship. If you did, you might be here. This sounds like the whining of someone who is upset they missed the boat, sitting on a pre-po ship in Diego.[/QUOTE

[QUOTE=captmrb;117313]The GSF Explorer was purchased by Transocean a year or two ago. It was reflagged to Vanuatu in June of this year. http://www.eagle.org/safenet/record/record_vesseldetailsprinparticular?Classno=7310452&Accesstype=PUBLIC&ReferrerApplication=PUBLIC[/QUOTE]

Thanks caprmrb, a couple of us were just having a discussion about the Explorer about a month ago. We looked it up then and it was still U.S. flag, so I guess my source was a month or two behind the times.

I apologize to everyone for the misinformation.

Anyone got any photos of the Honeywell DP system it had?
Was that the first commercial DP system produced?
sorry for the hijack