Getting into Dynamic Positioning?

Hello,

I’m currently in my Junior year at USMMA as a deck major, after graduation I will receive my 3rd mates unlimited. I was interested in pursuing a job in the oil-field, hopefully DP on a drill ship. I am planning on taking the basic Dynamic Positioning class before graduation. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for how to get a job as a DP officer on a drill ship? Or does anyone know of any internships that any of the companies have, that I would be able to apply for?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Max

Ohh boy …

Max… Max… Max,
Puleeeze check the search function- there are many threads that pertain to DP ships. Check rigzone.com- you can get a idea of what DP companies are looking for. Most jobs require a lot of DP experience but who knows? .
Your post is too general and I doubt anyone will give you what your looking for without some effort on your part. Danger! Beware the wrath of he who shall not be named - figuratively speaking, his pointy stick diatribe will tear you up.

[QUOTE=Max94;116921]Hello,

I’m currently in my Junior year at USMMA as a deck major
Max[/QUOTE]

I hear a pointy stick being sharpened nearby…

Just because we are sure you must have done some research and reading to figure out for yourself, why don’t you recap for us what you have learned so far so we can help fill in the blanks.

It’s called google, give it a fucking try.

[QUOTE=SomalianRoadCorporation;116938]I hear a pointy stick being sharpened nearby…[/QUOTE]

Oh dear, what fun and highjinx have I missed here today?..DAMN IT ALL TO HELL!

well my fine Keedet Maxwell Smart…being such a highly esteemed mariner to be from the “Jewel” of the service academies you will surely love this one. It’s got everything you need to know in it about being a DPO right here.

btw, you in the band? Say hey to Captain Kenneth R. Farce, USMS for me…he’s my drinking buddy and wingman when we go on poontang patrol.

• Updated - - -

ah what the hell…enjoy part two.

Study all this closely…they’ll be a test afterward

• Updated - - -

and for a nightcap…Part III my good man

…skol

You went to the finest maritime academy in the world where they make leaders, not mariners. Just graduate and the drilling companies will be begging you to go “lead” for them. I’d accept no less than $3,000 a day to start, you can work your way up to the big bucks from there.

C. Captain that was so on the point sadly our young cadet will not even realize it for many years to come. Laughed my ass off through all three.

Now the uncomfortable question is how to you know Sponge Bob so well that you could just pull that out of no where?

I hope all aspiring KP Keedets get the same chuckles…that is if gCaptain isn’t blocked by their overlords!

Now the uncomfortable question is how to you know Sponge Bob so well that you could just pull that out of no where?

my daughter and I love to watch SpongeBob.

I am not sure if I am more of a Mr. Krabs or a Plankton? Love them both!

^^^^
Watched almost every episode with my kids. Mr Krab cracks me up!
SB Not as cool as Jonny Quest but beats most PC crap you see on boob tube today.

You guys are being bruttle to this young man, I mean really f’ing mean. What exactly was so terrible to elicit such venomous attacks from the “elite of gCaptain” ? So he didn’t do any research to previous threads? As far see I can that was the only thing he could have done better so f’ing what, give the kid a break.
Could it be just because he’s a cadet or becsuse he wants to work on a drill ship not a mud boat? The whole lot of you remind me a bunch of guys standing around heckling a guy (that did nothing terrible) as he gets his ass kicked. This whole thread is a bummer and while I’m halfway through a 28 day hitch sitting in the friggin heat with loud pumps all around me it would be nice to have read about a bunch of grown men encouraging and giving advice to a young boy not humiliating him. Grow the fuck up!

Here’s some encouragement and advice for the young man:

While it is admirable to have a goal set for oneself, there is no shortcut to grabbing the golden ring. Seems many people who show up here post in search of the easy way to the top. There is no easy way. Too many young bucks who have come here before this young feller have trampled the path, so to speak.

Best advice for a green mate is to take any opportunity that comes along to get your feet wet, and don’t bitch when you aren’t in the wheelhouse as fast as you think you should be. Learn from the ground floor up.

[QUOTE=Hawespiper5;117034]This whole thread is a bummer and while I’m halfway through a 28 day hitch sitting in the friggin heat with loud pumps all around me it would be nice to have read about a bunch of grown men encouraging and giving advice to a young boy not humiliating him. Grow the fuck up![/QUOTE]

sorry to be bummin you out man! Maybe this will make you feel better…

//youtu.be/dPzqkG7EEIY

How can you not tap your toes to this one…such a snappy toon eh?

Love them pretzels!

btw, nobody is above being humiliated here when they ask for it unless you want to be one of those touchy feelie types who wants everything there to be oh so sanitized and nice. EWWWWW!

[QUOTE=“c.captain;117072”]

btw, nobody is above being humiliated here when they ask for it EWWWWW![/QUOTE]

Yeah, now that I re-read the OP’s original post I have to agree he was a huge prick in his post and was way, way out of line. He definetly deserved a brow beating.

[QUOTE=“c.captain;117072”]

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPzqkG7EEIY
![/QUOTE]

I must say I’m not as bummed out now. I just watch the video and did enjoy the dancing girls…

here’s a bit of advice for our good lad Maxillian…

1. never ever admit you are attending KP. That alone warrants many jabs from the pointy stick! If you had been reading old threads here you would know that already!

2. always, but always read prior threads before posting for the first time. Those who come on here asking pretty basis questions like yours was without doing so first also warrants many more jabs from the infamous stick! Being cadet one post doesn’t give you much in the way of standing here with my brother mariners.

3. don’t ask a question to which you can easily get the answers to yourself by visiting the websites of the companies you want to work for. All of them have information about their hiring and training programs. Also, you best heed the advise here to not turn your nose up at an AB job on an OSV with the hope to working into a mate’s position in time. Fresh academy fish all need to show their ability and attitude before being given their own watch on the bridge of any vessel be it containership or lowly mudboat.

4. never but never expect any freebies or “the pony” to a successful career at sea or in the offshore world here. We all have paid our dues in one way or another and expect other newcomers to do the same. This has always been the way of the sea and hopefully always will be. Suffering and adversity builds character and ability…which I am proud to say is why I am the character I am today!

any more questions?

[QUOTE=Hawespiper5;117078]I must say I’m not as bummed out now. I just watch the video and did enjoy the dancing girls…[/QUOTE]

did you like the pretzels? not the biggest ones in the bag but I’m sure would be very tasty all the same!

got beer?