gCaptain Server Issues

Hey guys, just a quick update on this morning’s trouble.

The bad news is that one of our server’s hard drives ran into a bit of trouble and caused this website to go offline for an hour this morning. The good news is that the errant drive has been flogged, keelhauled, jettisoned and replaced.

Everything should be back to normal soon but please bear with us… we may need to pull the forum offline (hopefully for just a short period of time) sometime today to perform server maintenance.

John

NOOOOOOO!!! What am I going to do while I am supposed to be working!!!

This is the first forum I’ve participated in that uses vBulletin. Is there a reason you chose vBulletin? I’ve never seen any other forum that’s displayed the message “Your search is in progress and you will be taken to the results in a moment. Thank you for your patience.” or the ‘busy server’ message that I sometimes get (before today). Also, the read and unread icons for the threads are never accurate for me (though maybe the icons work differently in vBulletin than the forum software I’m used to).

Also, this is the bookmark I use: http://gcaptain.com/forum/search.php?do=getdaily to see what’s new. In other forums, something like that would give me a page with the latest stuff instantly. Here, it does a “search” and gives me something like: http://gcaptain.com/forum/search.php?searchid=147 which then expires after so many minutes. It just seems to me like vBulletin isn’t really optimized for heavy usage. So that’s why I’m curious about what benefits vBulletin has that other forum software doesn’t.

[QUOTE=screwdriver;123403]This is the first forum I’ve participated in that uses vBulletin. Is there a reason you chose vBulletin? I’ve never seen any other forum that’s displayed the message “Your search is in progress and you will be taken to the results in a moment. Thank you for your patience.” or the ‘busy server’ message that I sometimes get (before today). Also, the read and unread icons for the threads are never accurate for me (though maybe the icons work differently in vBulletin than the forum software I’m used to). Also, this is the bookmark I use: http://gcaptain.com/forum/search.php?do=getdaily to see what’s new. In other forums, something like that would give me a page with the latest stuff instantly. Here, it does a “search” and gives me something like: http://gcaptain.com/forum/search.php?searchid=147 which then expires after so many minutes. It just seems to me like vBulletin isn’t really optimized for heavy usage. So that’s why I’m curious about what benefits vBulletin has that other forum software doesn’t.[/QUOTE] What are your favorite forums (not content wise… but what layout do you like the most)?

Wait gcaptain doesn’t have a server barge like google!?

[QUOTE=“john;123407”]

What are your favorite forum (not content wise… but what layout do you like the most)?[/QUOTE]

Personally I really like gCaptain on mobile, but it is my first and most used mobile forum so I may just be used to it. There are a few minor issues that annoy me but otherwise I really like it.

Today was the worst day ever. I couldn’t get on gcaptain for most of the morning. I actually did some…work. Ugh.

[QUOTE=“Capt. Phoenix;123421”]

Personally I really like gCaptain on mobile, but it is my first and most used mobile forum so I may just be used to it. There are a few minor issues that annoy me but otherwise I really like it.[/QUOTE]

I try not to get on it on a real computer anymore because of one of those issues. Every time I sign on on an actual computer it marks all threads as read next time I’m on mobile. Even if I didn’t read a single thread.

All I can say is that with the speed you got the site back up and running that you need to go to the rescue of the Obamacare site! The nation will be forever in your debt…

ALL HAIL OUR GREAT GCAPTAIN OVERLORDS!

[QUOTE=“c.captain;123432”]ALL HAIL OUR GREAT GCAPTAIN OVERLOADS![/QUOTE]

The overloads suck but the overlords are cool…

[QUOTE=john;123407]What are your favorite forums (not content wise… but what layout do you like the most)?[/QUOTE]

phpBB. It’s free too. There are a lot of themes/styles out there for it, so you could probably find something that fits gCaptain better than the default style. Because it’s open source, it’s pretty popular so there are a lot of add-ons and integrations that people wrote for it. You can also find migration tools. Assuming you’re paying to use vBulletin on a per month basis, for the cost of a couple months, you could hire someone to write a create a custom theme for gCaptain.

I would like to be able to post pics with the mobile app, but can’t. That is my only beef.

The iPhone app allows you to post pics.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;123438]The overloads suck but the overlords are cool…[/QUOTE]

DOH!..