Gap Closing and Renewal

I have one more renewal and then I’m outta this damn business. 46 CFR says I can renew anytime.

My current MMC expires in 2019 but what I’d like to do is get all my gap closing courses and then renew late in 2016, trying to time things so that my next and final MMC is issued December 31, 2016 (or thereabouts), that way I can avoid the requirements (firefighting, BST, etc.) that come after Jan 1, 2017.

Anyone from NMC…will I be able to request an issue date of 12/31/2016? In general, does it sound like my plan will work? I know it’s still 16 months away, but one thing I’ve learned in this business is be ready well ahead of time. Thanks.

[QUOTE=highseasharry;168071]I have one more renewal and then I’m outta this damn business. 46 CFR says I can renew anytime.

My current MMC expires in 2019 but what I’d like to do is get all my gap closing courses and then renew late in 2016, trying to time things so that my next and final MMC is issued December 31, 2016 (or thereabouts), that way I can avoid the requirements (firefighting, BST, etc.) that come after Jan 1, 2017.

Anyone from NMC…will I be able to request an issue date of 12/31/2016? In general, does it sound like my plan will work? I know it’s still 16 months away, but one thing I’ve learned in this business is be ready well ahead of time. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

See 46 CFR 10.205(a).

Even if you renew before 1/1/2017, an STCW endorsement for OICNW, OICEW, Chief Mate, Master, Second Engineer Officer or Chief Engineer will have a limitation that it is not valuid after 12/31/2016 if you do not meet the requirements for Leadership and Managerial or Team working Sklills. Engineers weill also need ERM, and Chiefs and Second Engineers wi9ll also need Management of Electrical and Electronic Control Equiopment.

You would be able to defer the refresher requirements for BT and Advanced Firefighting by renewing early…

Mr. Cavo - So you’ve renewed in 2014, then took the gap closing courses (all three you mention above for engineer) then get your SCTW endorsements pushed out to your national license expiration date (2019). Am I correct those refresher courses would then be due only prior to the next renewal at 2019? Or is it an immediate requirement after 1 Jan 2017? Thanks in advance for your help.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;168073]See 46 CFR 10.205(a).

Even if you renew before 1/1/2017, an STCW endorsement for OICNW, OICEW, Chief Mate, Master, Second Engineer Officer or Chief Engineer will have a limitation that it is not valuid after 12/31/2016 if you do not meet the requirements for Leadership and Managerial or Team working Sklills. Engineers weill also need ERM, and Chiefs and Second Engineers wi9ll also need Management of Electrical and Electronic Control Equiopment.

You would be able to defer the refresher requirements for BT and Advanced Firefighting by renewing early…[/QUOTE]

Roger that on Leadership and all the rest that’s needed before 1/1/17. I guess what my question really is, will NMC be working with us and giving renewal dates of 12/31/16 or should I just start my renewal in, say, November 2016 and hope it all gets processed before 1/1/17? (My current MMC expires in 2019.) That way I’ll be good for the next five years thru 12/31/21 (without having to do firefighting, rescue boat and all the rest) and I’ll be long gone by then.

highseasharry - It is my understanding that you are correct. Mr. Cavo posted here in July of 2104 info to that effect.

I’m not sure about the delayed issuing on 12/31/16, but it sounds right. I’ll be requesting the same.

I’m planning to do the same thing. Will knock off Leadership and Management, as well as ECDIS this winter.

[QUOTE=water;168095]highseasharry - It is my understanding that you are correct. Mr. Cavo posted here in July of 2104 info to that effect.

I’m not sure about the delayed issuing on 12/31/16, but it sounds right. I’ll be requesting the same.

I’m planning to do the same thing. Will knock off Leadership and Management, as well as ECDIS this winter.[/QUOTE]

Are the floodgates going to open for you and me and who knows how many others?