Galveston Pilot Pay Fight

Pilots who guide ships into the ports of Galveston and Texas City have asked for substantial pay increases, and are fighting an industry pushback against their rate request.

The 15 pilots say they earn less than those at other Texas ports, including the 90 Houston Port pilots who help guide ships to docks along the Ship Channel.

“We pilot the same ships as the other Texas pilots do. We attend the same schools,” said Capt. Chris Gutierrez, who heads the Galveston-Texas City Pilot Association.

“We don’t want to be the highest-paid pilots in the country, but neither do we want to be the worst-paid,” Gutierrez said.

A state Pilot Commission must approve or deny the rate increase.

“We have a hearing and listen to both sides: the pilots wanting more and the users wanting to pay less,” said Vandy Anderson, chairman of the five-member body, which is appointed by the governor.

Read More…

My opinon of ship pilots are:

Arrogant
Smug
Superior
Hubris
Odious
Larcenous
Egregious
Selfish

Do I want their money? HELL YES!

Do I want to be one? HELL NO!

Does any ship pilot deserve to make as much as a surgeon? Most do you know!

OK, let the shitstorm begin…

KaChing!

[quote=c.captain;12556]My opinon of ship pilots are:

Arrogant
Smug
Superior
Hubris
Odious
Larcenous
Egregious
Selfish

Do I want their money? HELL YES!

Do I want to be one? HELL NO!

Does any ship pilot deserve to make as much as a surgeon? Most do you know!

OK, let the shitstorm begin…[/quote]

I know some pilots who fit your description, just like I know some Captains who do as well. And some Mates, ABs, OSs, oh and don’t forget Engineers for god’s sake. But I’ve worked with hundreds of pilots in real world and in training situations, and I find that 98% of them are:

Professional
Hard-working
Exceptionally skilled
Eager to learn
Happy to go to work every day
Confident
Talented
Funny
and,

Worth every penny they make. Especially in the post-Cosco Busan environment.

So I must respectfully call bullshit.

What’s PHEEHCTF mean?

btw read this one: http://blog.nola.com/tpmoney/2008/12/river_pilots_to_get_pay_raises.html

I like pilots, except the assholes who don’t bring me a newspaper but are happy to drink my coffee and raid my galley.

[quote=c.captain;12572]What’s PHEEHCTF mean?

btw read this one: http://blog.nola.com/tpmoney/2008/12/river_pilots_to_get_pay_raises.html[/quote]

I think he missed your acronym c.capt!

[quote=dougpine;12569]I know some pilots who fit your description, just like I know some Captains who do as well. And some Mates, ABs, OSs, oh and don’t forget Engineers for god’s sake. But I’ve worked with hundreds of pilots in real world and in training situations, and I find that 98% of them are:

Professional
Hard-working
Exceptionally skilled
Eager to learn
Happy to go to work every day
Confident
Talented
Funny
and,

Worth every penny they make. Especially in the post-Cosco Busan environment.

So I must respectfully call bullshit.[/quote]

DOUG!!! Where have you been…?? I was talking to capt_A about you the other day…Ears burning?

Sounds like a sneeze to me.

I’ve been lurking. Haven’t felt much like posting lately.

Just figured it out. I’m a bit thick in the haid, apparently.

Ya, I was doing that for awhile too…Good to see you…