Pilotage question

Hello everyone,

After searching the internet and through these forums, I can’t seem to find information on this question, so I’m hoping that someone could help me out. I am at a point in my career where I am considering applying to a pilot association (and have been recommended to do so by an advanced ship handling instructor) The concern is that I can’t find any information on the stipend for apprentice pilots. I’m not concerned about how much I’ll make as a full pilot, I already know it will cover my needs; I just want to make sure I can continue to cover my bills and care for my wife while I’m an apprentice.

Thanks for the help.

[QUOTE=“dmitchellcsum;121387”]Hello everyone,

After searching the internet and through these forums, I can’t seem to find information on this question, so I’m hoping that someone could help me out. I am at a point in my career where I am considering applying to a pilot association (and have been recommended to do so by an advanced ship handling instructor) The concern is that I can’t find any information on the stipend for apprentice pilots. I’m not concerned about how much I’ll make as a full pilot, I already know it will cover my needs; I just want to make sure I can continue to cover my bills and care for my wife while I’m an apprentice.

Thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]

Pay for trainee State pilot in USA varies wildly from nothing to $100k plus, depending on the region. You need to check with the pilot association or State regulators in the regions where you will be applying.

[QUOTE=dmitchellcsum;121387]Hello everyone,

Thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]

getting an apprentice/deputy pilot job is generally very hard. and varies wildly from state to state. seriously, your ship handling instructor’s recommendation is worthless. you could be the greatest natural born harbor/river pilot, but if no one will hire you let alone talk to you, it matters not. that’s not to discourage you, that’s to enlighten you.

i know that some places pay there apprentices absolutely ZERO until they pass all tests/assesments. that can be as long as 3 or 4 years. some places might pay you 25-30k a year; i can not imagine trying to feed a family of 3 on that and pay a mortgage. you will have virtually no opportunity to work on the side b/c you are at the beck and call (and ultimately the will and pleasure) of the pilotage association.

most associations have a buy-in once you become a full pilot or deputy pilot, whatever they call it. unless you are already inherently wealthy (which you clearly are not, just like 99% of mariners, except for “Asd”) ponying up approximately $500K to officially join is pretty rough. it will obviously take years to pay that off. and if the association doesn’t use that type of system, then they typically take a huge chunk of your gross for 3-5 yrs.

first and foremost, it is a business. every single one of them. nepotism is much worse in the south, so good luck getting in there. i have listened to so many pilots from valdez to long beach and brownsville to sandy hook constantly bitch about money and wanting to work forever b/c they just haven’t made enough. it’s a broken record with them. so you can be sure that they will pay apprentices as little as the law will allow.

FL has the only state exam system which is open to anyone who meets the minimum reqs. anyone’s shiphandling is worthless on that test if i can memorize books better than you or draw a better chart from scratch than you. but at least everyone gets the same opportunity. there is a good chance that information (apprentice pilot pay) is public record. so start digging.

if you haven’t tried calling various associations and asking them point blank, then …

If your father or uncle is a pilot then it is no problem to get hired. If you can’t pass the DNA test it is best not to apply.

If you have to ask…it’s not enough money. Just saying

@Johnny, I looked into the SC pilots and their system seemed pretty fair. It is based on points from your license level, education and two interviews. There was just no info on wages if any.

[QUOTE=dmitchellcsum;121418]@Johnny, I looked into the SC pilots and their system seemed pretty fair. It is based on points from your license level, education and two interviews. There was just no info on wages if any.[/QUOTE]

the charleston pilots association is just about the most nepotistic one of them all. they get around the new rules simply bartering apprenticeships of family members between charleston. savannah, and wilmington.

are you a swann, waldeck, kavanaugh, lockwood ? and there are more family names from savannah and wilmington i don’t know.

Trust me, no matter how fair the system looks there are ways for the present pilots to get what they want. Getting into an organization takes luck ( no skilled) timing and knowing who you need to know… It’s the old line: " not who you know, it’s who you blow". Even Florida that has the most equatable means for application is not always what it seems… ( so say friends of mine that are Florida state pilots). You may look into a federal pilot organization… But again you need to know someone to get your foot in the door.

Several pilot associations (businesses) will announce openings and let outsiders in from time to time (I know of at least 3 major ones), but you really have to have the luck of being in the right place at the right time and have the right stuff to make the cut. Being blood related definitely is a help, in all of 'em.

Apprentice Pay? Forget about it …

I was once told that if you have to ask a question about becoming a pilot, you’re already out of luck. If you’re up for it all relevant questions and their answers have been laid out by whoever wants you to be one. Some places you don’t apprentice full time but keep a regular job and ride/train in your time off on your own dime. Other places will pay you 15-30 a year to work 3-1 as an apprentice. All depends, but if you have to ask its probably too late.

You may also add that after the apprenticeship you are voted on and while you may have done everything right you don’t get voted in… Not an easy thing to get into.

Or while you are doing your apprenticeship a pilot’s son gets out of rehab and there is no longer a spot open for you.

Have you ever thought about trying to become a Docking Pilot?

That is the road I plan to go down one day but from my understanding not all ports have docking pilots.

Last group Chas took didn’t have those last names. Times have changed.

[QUOTE=Tugted;121451]Last group Chas took didn’t have those last names. Times have changed.[/QUOTE]

you didn’t see those names b/c there are already swann, lockwood, etc. in the CHAS association. The rules have technically changed, don’t be fooled into thinking the times have.

like i said, those areas are bartering pilots… SAV, you take jr. john doe, b/c sr john doe is still here in CHAS and we will take your jr. john doe b/c his father is still a pilot there in SAV.

Oh yeah. Classmate of mine got traded due to an uncle refusing to retire on time…

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;121452]you didn’t see those names b/c there are already swann, lockwood, etc. in the CHAS association. The rules have technically changed, don’t be fooled into thinking the times have.

like i said, those areas are bartering pilots… SAV, you take jr. john doe, b/c sr john doe is still here in CHAS and we will take your jr. john doe b/c his father is still a pilot there in SAV.[/QUOTE]
You’ve got no clue. It’s not like that. There’s no one from Savannah or Wilmington as pilots.

[QUOTE=dmitchellcsum;121418]@Johnny, I looked into the SC pilots and their system seemed pretty fair. It is based on points from your license level, education and two interviews. There was just no info on wages if any.[/QUOTE]

If your not a resident of South Carolina, Charleston pilots will put your resume on the bottom of the pile. If you want to be a pilot there you need to live in Charleston and regularly politic their association. With regards to apprentice pay no association will tell you what they pay their pilots. There’s a good reason for it and if you ask you’ll be dropped like a hot potato. Be advised if you already are concerned about apprentice pay then you should be applying to be a pilot

One of the last pilots they took was from NY.

[QUOTE=Tugted;121470]One of the last pilots they took was from NY.[/QUOTE]

Did he live in South Carolina when he was picked up?