Pilotage question

Man, you gotta love the arrogance. " at a point in my career where I am considering applying to a pilot association"? Perhaps he should be a pilot with that view of himself and the industry. Sort of like an airplane pilot flying with Delta: " well, I’m thinking, it’s about time for me to become an astronaut " No harm in trying, but it seems like some folks think all you need to do to latch onto a pilot job is apply and bingo… Your a pilot. I once sat next to a navy admiral during an official dinner. When I asked him what was next in his career he tells me that he is going to retire, and perhaps get one of those " ship pilot jobs". Yea, sure… They are just holding their breath for a retired admiral.

Don’t think so

[QUOTE=Tugted;121473]Don’t think so[/QUOTE]

My experience has been that you have to live in South Carolina to get picked up in Charleston.

Go on their website & read the rules. It’s all there

[QUOTE=Tugted;121475]Go on their website & read the rules. It’s all there[/QUOTE]

I realize what’s there, I’m talking about my experience with Charleston Pilots.

It isn’t about arrogance. It is a realistic understanding that if I don’t start perusing this now that I’ll quickly become to old and be stuck in my current career path (sailing my current ship type until retirement). Not that there is something wrong with it, I just would rather peruse this goal.

Keep in mind some places have age restrictions too, for example sandy hook won’t take anyone over 27. Just saying

[QUOTE=dmitchellcsum;121556]It isn’t about arrogance. It is a realistic understanding that if I don’t start perusing this now that I’ll quickly become to old and be stuck in my current career path (sailing my current ship type until retirement). Not that there is something wrong with it, I just would rather peruse this goal.[/QUOTE]

You might want to take your picture down and change your user name. It’s pretty easy to figure out who you are and this thread if seen by a pilot association could go horribly wrong for you.

yeah, you would be surprised who reads this stuff!

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;121566]yeah, you would be surprised who reads this stuff![/QUOTE]

The creators of gCaptain should take that as a compliment. As far as I can find, there is absolutely no other site dedicated to professional mariners. So it would stand to reason this forum gets read by aspiring OSs to CEOs and everyone in between.

They should. When I found out my Boss had been reading my blog, and the video I posted on here certainly put my hits here through the roof, it was quite a reality check.

alas my attempts to remain somewhat anonymous! its way too small of a biz to be parading around with your real name.

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);121472]Man, you gotta love the arrogance. " at a point in my career where I am considering applying to a pilot association"? Perhaps he should be a pilot with that view of himself and the industry. Sort of like an airplane pilot flying with Delta: " well, I’m thinking, it’s about time for me to become an astronaut " No harm in trying, but it seems like some folks think all you need to do to latch onto a pilot job is apply and bingo… Your a pilot. I once sat next to a navy admiral during an official dinner. When I asked him what was next in his career he tells me that he is going to retire, and perhaps get one of those " ship pilot jobs". Yea, sure… They are just holding their breath for a retired admiral.[/QUOTE]

We actually do get retired admirals who become pilots for U.S. Navy ports. Pearl Harbor is that way, just about all the pilots there are prior Navy guys who had command of a vessel at some point in their career.

His dad was probably a Sandy Hook pilot.

They’re normally “civil service” pilots for navy ports. They don’t handle commercial traffic.

True, the ones I’ve seen are retired USN chiefs that were navy pilots when on active duty ( most of them). Never ran into one that was an ex-co or admiral, not to say they don’t exist, just never ran into one.

Nope he wasn’t.

In San Diego the Navy took only former enlisted for quite some time… Recently they hired a MSC Captain originally a Kings Pointer. Very cool. Last guy they took was a tractor tug Captain originally from San Diego’s sport fishing fleet.

Never seen a Navy Admiral or Captain ever seriously considered for a Navy pilot’s job here.

[QUOTE=KP05;123032]We actually do get retired admirals who become pilots for U.S. Navy ports. Pearl Harbor is that way, just about all the pilots there are prior Navy guys who had command of a vessel at some point in their career.[/QUOTE]

Not quite. Three of the four Pearl Harbor pilots sailed Master before becoming pilots. All had some active duty time, but no retired USN Captains or Admirals, and they really don’t have much of a chance of becoming a pilot, even for the navy.

[QUOTE=Starboard Ten;123162]In San Diego the Navy took only former enlisted for quite some time… Recently they hired a MSC Captain originally a Kings Pointer. Very cool. Last guy they took was a tractor tug Captain originally from San Diego’s sport fishing fleet.

Never seen a Navy Admiral or Captain ever seriously considered for a Navy pilot’s job here.[/QUOTE]

Reckon I know those two if they’re who I am thinking of, good guys. Wasn’t one of them going after the other pilot association initially?