G&H Towing Galveston TX

G&H(Ship docking) has help wanted sign on waterfront for licensed personel.
409-744-4311/ 281-474-4501(??)

Pretty sure they are SIU

Sorry pic isn’t better.

Good Luck!!

[ATTACH]1355[/ATTACH]

Do you know what kind of rotations are worked and if you can work extra time?

They are SIU. Most of the vessels are 4 days on 4 off. A few are day boats.

I worked as quartermaster for G&H back in the late 90’s. Back then we worked 2 days on, 2 days off, and every other weekend for 3 days. That schedule was like Chinese water torture, and I’ve heard the 4/4 is much better. There were people involved in the politics there who would complain about things, but overall I always thought the office was very fair, and most of the people who worked there were really cool. Of course like anywhere there were exceptions, but overall a damn good group of guys, and I’m pretty sure a lot of the same people are still there.

[QUOTE=injunear;55047]They are SIU. Most of the vessels are 4 days on 4 off. A few are day boats.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know much about SIU but like the others do I have to join SIU first and then go G&H or can I go directly? I do see though that they have an online application so not sure.

In the past few years, I’ve seen many guys hired directly if the union couldn’t fill the slots. When you hire in, you still take the SIU physical and join up. You have to pay for your first SIU physical. Insurance is better than most. Pension contributions and insurance premiums are paid by the company.

Years ago, the only time G&H advertised was just before contract negotiations. I think they’re doing it year round now.

I worked at G&H for 2-1/2 years on deck while down in Galveston, good company, good pay, boats were getting better and better, i did relief work most of the time back on the 2-2-3 sked, they are SIU, but merely a stepping stone you must take to get on with the company, I dont know (at the time) of anyone getting hired from the hall, everyone was sent “to” the hall to join, get a medical card and report back to the office.

I really enjoyed the work wouldnt hesitate going back now if I lived in TX still, good company IMO.

[QUOTE=Salinity Now;55396]I worked at G&H for 2-1/2 years on deck while down in Galveston, good company, good pay, boats were getting better and better, i did relief work most of the time back on the 2-2-3 sked, they are SIU, but merely a stepping stone you must take to get on with the company, I dont know (at the time) of anyone getting hired from the hall, everyone was sent “to” the hall to join, get a medical card and report back to the office.I really enjoyed the work wouldnt hesitate going back now if I lived in TX still, good company IMO.[/QUOTE]As I said, I used to work there as well, and I agree with all of this. Check your inbox/pm bro!

[QUOTE=Salinity Now;55396]I worked at G&H for 2-1/2 years on deck while down in Galveston, good company, good pay, boats were getting better and better, i did relief work most of the time back on the 2-2-3 sked, they are SIU, but merely a stepping stone you must take to get on with the company, I dont know (at the time) of anyone getting hired from the hall, everyone was sent “to” the hall to join, get a medical card and report back to the office.I really enjoyed the work wouldnt hesitate going back now if I lived in TX still, good company IMO.[/QUOTE]As I said, I used to work there as well, and I agree with all of this. Check your inbox/pm bro!

its a 4 day on /off so u have to live pretty close for crew change. its a decent stable job. Like anything it has its good / bad. ok pay… SIU seems to be looked down upon. benefits are not the best. 75 days before you can get benefits… so that means 150 days. almost 6 months and no sick pay to speak of. but its a stable job and you can learn a lot in the wheel house

Check your inbox/pm bro!

As I said, I used to work there as well, and I agree with all of this. Check your inbox/pm bro!

Is that for me? If so, I have no new messages!