San Diego

I just moved back to San Diego from Honolulu. I was working on a tour boat and got enough seatime for my AB(OSV) Which has been usless to me because nobody hires OSV’s. But Anyways any suggestions where I should start my search in San Diego? And does anyone know how hard it is to get in with the ferries in Seattle? Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

most companys in the gulf will hire a AB osv, I heard Harvy is hireing a few AB

Thanks, I have thought about the gulf. What is the SAFE GULF card thing i Saw somthing about that and i coulndent find where to get the card localy

just a card that most companys will get you before you get on the boat, just a few videos ,easy to obtain.

AB OSV is going to limit you to the O&G industry, so like previously stated the GOM is your best bet getting on an OSV.

While some companies might state “Safe Gulf Preferred”, many will put you through the class and testing if you meet their hiring criteria…

I imagine you wont find any Safe Gulf classes over on the West coast since it is a GOM deal.

Good luck, the job market is tough…but not impossible right now.

Anybody know what the work is like in the gulf? What areas do you live when your not on the boat?Maby this is a stupid ? but a z card is the same as an MMD?

Z card is a nickname for the MMD. Gulf work is a little crazy. Crazy hours sometimes. If you don’t live locally its kind of tough. Most companies didn’t used to pay travel. Try Fairfield Industries in Lafayette,LA 281 6158499. The hiring guy is Jeff Hodge. The boats do survey work in GOM. Good luck.

I work in the GOM running a DSV, but live in FL…like posted, it is pretty tough, especially w/a 28/14 schedule. Some companies are equal time, and last I knew I think Fairfield was equal time.

The gulf is crazy at times, especially Fourchon, but the good outweighs the bad for me…once I finish my 500GRT, I’m hoping to go back to equal time.

Deck dept on Seattle Ferries start as an “on-call” OS and eventually work yourself into a spot. Engineering Dept is thu one of the unions. GO to their website and they will have all the details.

I greatly apreciate all the advise, Thanks guys. Any hint for looking in SD. I was thinking about just printing out a bunch of resumes and going boat to boat. Does this look desperate or determend?

[QUOTE=m.parker_jr;26367]I greatly apreciate all the advise, Thanks guys. Any hint for looking in SD. I was thinking about just printing out a bunch of resumes and going boat to boat. Does this look desperate or determend?[/QUOTE]

It’s a first impression thing, more a function of how [I]you[/I] look and how you present yourself.

[QUOTE=Capt_Anonymous;26398]It’s a first impression thing, more a function of how [I]you[/I] look and how you present yourself.[/QUOTE]

Now you tell us, before I thought you told us that it was about networking and sleeping your way to the top…

I have too say when I was in Hawaii it’s all about who you know!