Options?

First timer here gentlemen. I hold a fifth issued 1,600 / 3,000 Oceans and MOT, GMDSS, ARPA and all that stuff but, no DP.
I am currently running tugs in Hawaii and have much experience, even on a FSV but, would like to shift gears into the Gulf. Ultimately, I would like to get my DP and run an OSV. Of course, I’ve Googled this, that and the other but, thought that I would consult with other U.S. Mariners and see if there are any options. Thank you in advance!

I’m sorry but what’s an FSV?

regarding anything else, I am certain you have seen that the way to get a job in the GoM is to go there and see the companies in person. You’ll get little response to inquiries made via the internet especially for someone living in Hawaii.

why do you want to leave the islands btw? It’s wonderful out there and if you’ve got a good position (even if it’s K-Sea) why not stay in beautiful paradise instead of the ugly GoM?

FSV= Fast Supply Vessel. In other words fancy name for a crew boat.

Well, I’d like to use my license to run a bigger vessel. Hawaii is great and everything but, like all other places, it has it’s downside. I worked for Tidewater years back and ran their new Fast Supply Vessel (crew boat to some) although, we ran supplies. They will rehire me provided I have DP. Again, just checking options, if any. Thanks for the reply.

[QUOTE=usmariner;83372]Well, I’d like to use my license to run a bigger vessel. Hawaii is great and everything but, like all other places, it has it’s downside. I worked for Tidewater years back and ran their new Fast Supply Vessel (crew boat to some) although, we ran supplies. They will rehire me provided I have DP. Again, just checking options, if any. Thanks for the reply.[/QUOTE]

Here’s an option. You come and take my job here to the world of ugly rigs, Fourchon, flat land, shallow brown water and people without teeth at the local WalMart in sweats and I’ll return to the world of tradewinds, verdant mountains, deep crystal blue water, white sand beaches and lovely brown skinned Island waihines in bikinis and tow barges between the islands (even though those damned channels suck in the winter!) Whatdya say?

I say, those channels do suck in the winter…summer and fall. As for the dark skinned wahines on the white, sand beaches, that is the tempting part. However, if you’re looking at that … You must be on the beach, and if you’re on the beach, you’re not on the boat, and if you’re not on the boat, you’re not making money. I grew up in the islands, I’ve worked in the islands. I guess, the grass is always greener on the other side. As for the toothless wonders at Walmart, what makes you think that the Hawaii Walmart holds better looking clientele? Do you have DP?

[QUOTE=usmariner;83415]I say, those channels do suck in the winter…summer and fall. As for the dark skinned wahines on the white, sand beaches, that is the tempting part. However, if you’re looking at that … You must be on the beach, and if you’re on the beach, you’re not on the boat, and if you’re not on the boat, you’re not making money. I grew up in the islands, I’ve worked in the islands. I guess, the grass is always greener on the other side. As for the toothless wonders at Walmart, what makes you think that the Hawaii Walmart holds better looking clientele? Do you have DP?[/QUOTE]

I lived on Oahu for a year working for that punk Gordon back in the 90’s so know all about the good and the bad of living in the islands. Been in the GoM now for six years. Don’t want to end up finishing my career here but don’t imagine I’ll ever get back to Hawaii or even Alaska to work without taking a huge pay cut (unless Shell fires the Bozos in their clown circus and actually manages to get some drilling done in the arctic). Yes, I got my DP but there’s a part of my maritime soul I had to trade for that piece of paper gold. You with K-Sea?

Yeah, I heard all about that guy, Gordon. Alot of guys were happy, very happy, that Smith and then K-Sea took over. As a matter of fact, we’ve lost some of our personnal to K-Sea as it sounds like they pay better over there. I’m with Sause Bros. actually, it’s a very good gig. The draw back (for me) is that it’s union. Half of the guys working there are great guys. The other half are complete slackers. We only work 6 months. ATO (accrued time off) for the other six months. Really good company and the shoreside support is the best. The pay is the best that I’ve heard of …Master at $130K, Mates at $95K. It’s just that the slackers are too much and the union protects them. The pension is all but gone, lost in the crash of 2009. But, they said that possibly, just possibly, that the returns will be up by 2023… Great, now I’m working on a ‘maybe.’ The other thing for me is, call me nuts, but, I love to drive boats…manuever. If I did leave, I would miss the company and half of the guys that work with me…just not the lazy ‘not my job’ union bums.

I just came out of Kwaj to a gulf company without a DP certificate in November. I would definitely talk to the companies Hornbeck, Harvey, ECO, etc.

Roger that…thanks for that. I know it is possible to get in…at what, I don’t know…are you serving as Mate? Thanks for your post!!

[QUOTE=usmariner;83443]Yeah, I heard all about that guy, Gordon. Alot of guys were happy, very happy, that Smith and then K-Sea took over. As a matter of fact, we’ve lost some of our personnal to K-Sea as it sounds like they pay better over there. I’m with Sause Bros. actually, it’s a very good gig. The draw back (for me) is that it’s union. Half of the guys working there are great guys. The other half are complete slackers. We only work 6 months. ATO (accrued time off) for the other six months. Really good company and the shoreside support is the best. The pay is the best that I’ve heard of …Master at $130K, Mates at $95K. It’s just that the slackers are too much and the union protects them. The pension is all but gone, lost in the crash of 2009. But, they said that possibly, just possibly, that the returns will be up by 2023… Great, now I’m working on a ‘maybe.’ The other thing for me is, call me nuts, but, I love to drive boats…manuever. If I did leave, I would miss the company and half of the guys that work with me…just not the lazy ‘not my job’ union bums.[/QUOTE]

Well although the GoM has a very bright future it is not all golden turds being handed out here. First, don’t count on a pension from the OSV companies. Pay as a third captain (2nd mate w/o DP) would be better than mate at Sause but how much would depend on the company and you will have to work 28/14. Pretty difficult to arrange living in Hawaii. Do you mind relocating?

I’d say stay with towing since Sause is good established company and just give the lazy assholes a ration of shit whenever you find them goldbricking. I do remember Hawaii is famous for less than the most energetic types but hey, those are tropical islands out there!

Why do you always tell people they have to work 28/14. Only one company I know of has that policy. He could work 28/28 or whatever he wants. You’re scaring people off cap you need to stop that.

[QUOTE=usmariner;83443] It’s just that the slackers are too much and the union protects them. …just not the lazy ‘not my job’ union bums.[/QUOTE]

I probably fire 1-2 union mariners a year. I keep the old letter of warnings and dismissal on my computer and just change the name, dates and details. I’ve never had any problems from the union.

I understand the union only helps if the fired mariner believes he has been dismissed unfairly and requests assistance. I’ve gotten zero push back from the union.

When I was mate some captains used to whine about how hard it was to fire people but since I’ve been sailing master I realize was just a matter of the captain not wanting to make the effort, felt sorry for people or not know how to do it. I don’t have those problems.

K.C.

Re-locating would not be a problem. A couple guys I know are living down that way and The transition would be simple. … Yes, Sause is established and a good company…again, just union issues…of which, I could write a short novel…which I won’t do here. Thanks for this info, though.

Nice to hear that some get fired. Also; it’s nice to see that you’ve never had an issue. However, things are tight in Hawaii…very tight. A fine example of, “it’s not what you know…it’s who you know.” In the islands, you have to be just about related by blood to get the position…ok, I’m exaggerating, but, not by much. I’ve seen a couple of guys get fired only to show up a couple of days later with a shit eatin’ grin on their face. Anything short of pissin’ dirty or threatening someone’s life, you’ve got a job forever. Other than, allowing pieces of shit to keep their jobs while other, much harder working mariners are unemployed and that the pensions have been gambled away…I don’t have a problem with the union.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;83464]I probably fire 1-2 union mariners a year. I keep the old letter of warnings and dismissal on my computer and just change the name, dates and details. I’ve never had any problems from the union.

I understand the union only helps if the fired mariner believes he has been dismissed unfairly and requests assistance. I’ve gotten zero push back from the union.

When I was mate some captains used to whine about how hard it was to fire people but since I’ve been sailing master I realize was just a matter of the captain not wanting to make the effort, felt sorry for people or not know how to do it. I don’t have those problems.

K.C.[/QUOTE]

Well aren’t you BADASS

[QUOTE=usmariner;83475]Nice to hear that some get fired. Also; it’s nice to see that you’ve never had an issue. However, things are tight in Hawaii…very tight. A fine example of, “it’s not what you know…it’s who you know.” In the islands, you have to be just about related by blood to get the position…ok, I’m exaggerating, but, not by much. I’ve seen a couple of guys get fired only to show up a couple of days later with a shit eatin’ grin on their face. Anything short of pissin’ dirty or threatening someone’s life, you’ve got a job forever. Other than, allowing pieces of shit to keep their jobs while other, much harder working mariners are unemployed and that the pensions have been gambled away…I don’t have a problem with the union.[/QUOTE]

Understood, I hadn’t thought about the island thing.

Having said that however I wonder if those guys really did get fired? Frequently captains will give a quit or be fired option to crewmembers, the savvy ones will quit. Captains then claim to have fired them but technically they did not. Also I’ve had guys I’m firing offer to quit but it’s a mistake to let them do it because sometimes they will be back. Once you get a reputation for not putting up with bs guys will run their mouths about what an a$$ you are but they stay off your boat.

K.C.

[QUOTE=youngpup;83480]Well aren’t you BADASS[/QUOTE]

Bad crews drive off good people. Good crews drive off bad people.

K.C.

I like that little quote. Nice view. However, it seems as though you’d make me out to be a push over. I can assure you that I am no push over. Not physically and certainly not emotionally. When certain individuals find that they have been assigned to my vessel, they squirm and then whine to the front office for reassignment. In the old days, I could tell a guy to pack his shit and get the fuck off my boat NOW and they’d heed my word. I’d even bounce them off my boat using one arm if I found that technique necessary. Nowadays, they’re weak and if you swear at them…or even look at them wrong, oh boy, they go and cry to mama about how the skipper hurt their feelings. Sensitivity issues. Times have changed. I came from the fishing industry…23 years…and let me be the first to tell you, you don’t make it in that industry 23 minutes, let alone 23 years if you’re a push over.
Again, the purpose of this post was to determine options for entering the Gulf as I’m looking for a change. Retired fisherman with 7 years of towing experience…been there and done that. Let’s see what the badasses down in the gulf have to offer. It sounds like I may be able to speak my mind freely in the gulf… I like that!!!

That did make me laugh though…lol…because, they call me, “the prick”… And you are right… A good crew will drive off the bad guys… Provided that they don’t have a local uncle or a local union to hide behind…
Smooth sailing cap…