New to gCaptain, Questions about the Gulf and OSV's

Just a quick introduction,
I hold a 3rd Mate Unlimited and I’ve only been sailing out of school (Fort Schuyler) for two years now on the Great Lakes and in that time have obtained some pilotage and have qualified for the rest. I have learned a great deal about the industry in general and much about the world up here. I had planned on staying on the Lakes for a while, but as with time comes new knowledge about things-some good and some bad.

I primarily joined here to seek advice from those with more experience with the sailing industry as it seems a valuable resource to not take advantage of.

I have recently put more thought in moving employment elsewhere for a variety of reasons but undecided whether or not to take the plunge; my inquiries have been with Tidewater and Hornbeck thus far as it seems the Gulf is the place to be for many reasons.

I know what I see from my standpoint, what are some points of advice for someone in my position? Stay or go?

Any replies greatly appreciated,

-Regards

Just say it kid’ you heard they pay a ton of money for little or know prior experience and the schedules are freaking fantastic and you get a brand new boat working with all your old academy buddies. Sure come on down and join the party.

Make sure that when you do get your high paying dream mates job that you inform the crew 14x a day that your a maritime grad. Tell them that “workboats” are beneath you, how you are just as qualified as the captain who has been here 37yrs, and the crew is lucky to bask in your aura. Last guy here did basically that, dont be that guy.

also make sure you bring all you old academy uniforms with you and wear them at every opportunity just so everyone knows you are an officer!

[QUOTE=JoeyManhattan;145343]
I have recently put more thought in moving employment elsewhere for a variety of reasons but undecided whether or not to take the plunge; my inquiries have been with Tidewater and Hornbeck thus far as it seems the Gulf is the place to be for many reasons.

I know what I see from my standpoint, what are some points of advice for someone in my position? Stay or go?

Any replies greatly appreciated,

-Regards[/QUOTE]

Since we don’t know your “reasons” why after only a couple of years you want to leave… hard to say whether a move is a good idea.

I mean, is your company treating you like dirt? Do you not get along with the crew? Do you just want more money? Do you think you should be doing “better work”… ie what the company wants you to do…you think it’s beneath you?

You are just a couple years out of school. You aren’t happy where you are… but is it really the fault of your current position? or is it maybe that you have different expectations of how working should be? There are unpleasant work environments everywhere. Boats offer the unique “opportunity” to have to live with your co-workers 24/7 and they aren’t all going to be from your peer group. You may have to work with “old out of touch people”… you may have to work with complete slackers that make your workload go up. You may work for companies that don’t appreciate you and expect you to do manual labor that you “didn’t go to school for”.

Now… pretty much all those complaint situations can be duplicated in the gulf… so just be aware of what your real motivation is because if you are truly unhappy with the work environment… maybe it’s not the right job for you… no matter how much money is involved… or how much time you invested in school.

All the fun jobs that pay “boatloads” of money are already taken by the bosses kids… so … the rest of us poor saps gotta find something to make a buck that we can at least tolerate without wanting to blow our brains out every night. Not saying that some jobs aren’t more enjoyable than others… but work doesn’t tend to be fun in the same way that a beach vacation is fun.

I don’t think anyone can advise you whether to stay or go… only you will know what the right choice is. Maybe if you tell us what isn’t good about where you are… you will get opinions on whether the gulf is better in those aspects… and remember… money ain’t everything!

Alright, alright, enough about me being a troll; I’ve met these people that have their noses in the air and I’m not one of them. I’m a new Mate that knows enough to be safe and practical, and I do not know everything.

Back on topic, is there anything I should know besides how to get myself heaved over the side in an oil drum?

Saltgrain,

I understand and appreciate all that you have said; I know that there is bad everywhere I’ll go and that’s just fine-I’m not looking for perfection in any way. I don’t feel as if there is work beneath me as I’m a Mate and I should be able to perform all the jobs below my actual position.

I’m new but I can see the writing on the wall where I stand; I don’t think anyone licensed or not gets paid enough at all for the amount of work that’s performed on the Lakes.

It is not rare for extreme amounts of overtime for the deck gang that in my opinion is not fair to them; so much so that an AB will have the same paycheck as me with myself having overtime as well.
Often enough, the Mates will get too much overtime that I feel can adversely affect a watch. Having 3 hours off in 17-18 hours through two watches (Navigational at the end of those 17) cannot be safe. I think the US Code is in there somewhere…

Unloading and Loading or visa versa in a day takes a strain on the entire crew and back-hauls are not uncommon.

There is one issue that even older Mates who have been here for 15+ years (Captains included) have a problem with and that the company recently came out with a hull inspection program to inspect each tank on a schedule to tell them if repairs need be performed. The time we have between ports is short as it is, the few times we have a day on the run if we’re not in ballast is when we catch up on other inspections (SIP) or personal time. To properly inspect a tank takes hours depending on its size, let alone as a Mate we are not certified to give such judgement calls. These are words not only of myself but others far more along than I. Additionally, they want all tanks inspected by the end of the season this year-every ballast and void. Most companies do this work at lay-up and have a shipyard do them.

The scheduling is erratic, it’s been better this year but even guys with 5 or more years over me get the same sporadic deal.

Don’t get me wrong, I do like it here, but not enough to stay if my license can take me more places.

If you want to get on OSVs you shouldn’t expect to get a mate’s position right off the bat…may have to work as an AB for a while. You never know though it’s all right time and place.

It appears it takes time for replies to appear, I did reply to you all sooner though.
I understand about going on deck, I’ve been informed by Tidewater that I would be. I have no issues with going on deck since it gives a greater understanding and respect for what the deck gang does on a daily basis.

[QUOTE=JoeyManhattan;146091]It appears it takes time for replies to appear, I did reply to you all sooner though.
I understand about going on deck, I’ve been informed by Tidewater that I would be. I have no issues with going on deck since it gives a greater understanding and respect for what the deck gang does on a daily basis.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like your heads on straight. There are negative/positive about all companies, and there are worse places than Tidewater to get your feet wet on OSVs. They are getting a bit more bullish domestically with some new builds and bringing boats back from overseas. Good luck!

You’re working for Key Lakes, apparently. I’d stay there. You’re clearing over $10K per month and that ain’t chump change. You’ve got it pretty easy compared to most places. I know that of which I speak. I’ve been sailing almost 35 years, seven on the Lakes. Try Grand River if you want a workout. If you are planning to quit, let me know by PM. I’ll happily take your spot.

Look at the price of gas at your local gas station. Frequently a clue to the job market in the gulf.

[QUOTE=seadog6608;146111]You’re working for Key Lakes, apparently. I’d stay there. You’re clearing over $10K per month and that ain’t chump change. You’ve got it pretty easy compared to most places. I know that of which I speak. I’ve been sailing almost 35 years, seven on the Lakes. Try Grand River if you want a workout. If you are planning to quit, let me know by PM. I’ll happily take your spot.[/QUOTE]

I wish I made that much up here, I’ve never even come close to $10K with tons of O/T. I’ve been told by friends young and old I have in the industry I should run.

[QUOTE=JoeyManhattan;146140]I wish I made that much up here, I’ve never even come close to $10K with tons of O/T. I’ve been told by friends young and old I have in the industry I should run.[/QUOTE]

Which shitty Union are you in?

My tugboat deckhands do $10,000 per month.

How is $360 a day good money for an officer? That’s only 10 grand a month…lower end ab wages as tug sailor says. It’s one thing if that’s averaged out over the year working equal time though.

[QUOTE=z-drive;146144]How is $360 a day good money for an officer? That’s only 10 grand a month…lower end ab wages as tug sailor says. It’s one thing if that’s averaged out over the year working equal time though.[/QUOTE]

I’m in MEBA; they have great benefits but don’t do much else for us in my opinion, unless you’re Blue Water.
What he said…AB’s everywhere else make more than officers up here. I’ll be going on deck with tidewater and losing ~$500 a month until I move up.

[QUOTE=JoeyManhattan;146147]I’m in MEBA; they have great benefits but don’t do much else for us in my opinion, unless you’re Blue Water.
What he said…AB’s everywhere else make more than officers up here. I’ll be going on deck with tidewater and losing ~$500 a month until I move up.[/QUOTE]

So MEBA Inland sucks just as bad as the rest of the “Inland” unions?

It just goes to show that “inland” mariners will always get the short end of the stick in any of the Deepsea unions.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;146150]So MEBA Inland sucks just as bad as the rest of the “Inland” unions?

It just goes to show that “inland” mariners will always get the short end of the stick in any of the Deepsea unions.[/QUOTE]

They really don’t get the due respect and compensation they deserve for the amount of work and when it comes to ship handling, skill that’s involved.

[QUOTE=c.captain;145488]also make sure you bring all you old academy uniforms with you and wear them at every opportunity just so everyone knows you are an officer![/QUOTE]

Hehe, works for me. I even wear them around the house. . . oh wait, I threw them away on my way out after graduation. Never mind. . .

I would like to clarify something that has been brought to my attention;

Let me start by saying that Interlake is a great company, and I do enjoy working for them. They listen to their employees, and do things to improve the work environment where they can. Of all companies on the Lakes, I’d work for them each time, what this really comes down to is the Great Lakes are not for me-at least not right now.

This entire thread, and all of the thinking I have done has not been easy for me simply due to the fact that I do enjoy the Great Lakes and I do like Interlake itself; also I do not want to appear as if I don’t care for being loyal to a company.

[B]If any of this came across as showing Interlake as a poor place to work, that is not the case.[/B]

I apologize that it came across this way, and I apologize for any misunderstanding.

The numbers discussed for pay were not as close to what was actually worked out recently, as this is not the fuel for the decisions I have made thus far. With overtime included, the number is ~$460 per day.

There is a great deal of overtime on the Great Lakes, more than I enjoy actually; that combined with the need/want for a steadier schedule are factors two and three of this discussion.

Again, I apologize for any misunderstanding, misinformation, etc that occurred.