Frozen engine

MSDS says SAF Acid is 90% sulfamic acid. Looks like something similar available at HD.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Building-Products-Aqua-Mix-1-lb-Sulfamic-Acid-Crystals-050231/300176044

There’s an old saying:

Surely there is a reason for that.

I don’t know whether it contains Silicon, since the ingredients are secret:

thanks sherman for the link … about wd having silicon… i’ve just heard that so many times. one has to admit they have a heck of a advertising campaign but if I had to pick a actual OIL, i’d stick with Kroil.

Great stuff. Not easy to find so I load up whenever I find it, if I can’t find it I order from the manufacturer. In a pinch melted beeswax is great for freeing stubborn parts. Melt it, pour it in and gently work it. I’ve used ATF and acetone at times. The ATF is the lubricant and the acetone carries off moisture to an extent. But whenever a device is frozen due to corrosion and you break loose the moving parts you leave some bits and pieces behind. I always looked at getting things moving again as the first step toward disassembly and rebuilding unless it was a lawn mower or some other throwaway engine.

sherman, This time i found SAF acid all over the world but only one place said how much it cost… as I recall I wouldn’t be buying 5 gallons !!!, one was priced in some foreign scrawl, another said $650/ton… i guess i could call drew marine, buy a gallon (MAYBE) but what you found at home depot probably isn’t much different but they don’t mention using it in evaporators ! ha ha

Sulfamic acid is a tile grout cleaner. You can buy at Lowes or Home Depot in the USA

When it comes to “frozen” steel parts, nothing beats heat. Fire is your friend. When it gets red hot it will move.

If getting it red hot isn’t an option, getting it hot enough to turn beeswax to smoking liquid as thin as water is the next best option.

If heat isn’t an option, time and PB Blaster is the go to alternative.

WD40 isn’t worth the effort to take it off the home store shelf.

If you just want to get rust off and can’t use muriatic acid but can submerge the part, good old white vinegar works incredibly well.

1 Like

13 posts were split to a new topic: Refrigeration Equipment Frozen, Seized or Toast?