Fried not Dirty Rice - Cooking

The steward used to make dirty rice for breakfast on the ship. I see recipes on the internet that seem overly elaborate, what the steward was doing looked like rice with leftovers?

I’m a minimalist (KISS system) so what are the basics here?

1 Like

Yo Capt. you just made me hungry! The Cargo/Run and Union affiliation might help nail down the best rice recipes @Kennebec_Captain. We might be talking Cabo Verde Jagacida, Creole Dirty or a hodgepodge Arroz con Pollo depending on the answer.

9 posts were split to a new topic: Food Safety

Dirty rice is a dish made with chicken and or pork livers. From what you described, the steward made fried rice. I’ve had so many variations over the years. Most were oriental influenced. One of the South American variations uses “cucayo” which is the hardened rice from the bottom of the pot.

1 Like

That would explain it. I couldn’t understand why the recipes were so complicated and what the steward was calling dirty rice so simple. Just misnamed.

I thought that dirty rice originally was a Cajun dish. We used to order that when we were in New Orleans because it was tasty and cheap. We were on a very low budget in those days. A New Orleans classic that needs pureed chicken livers. Comfort and soul food.

I made it quite a number of years ago but then forgot about it. Now that I remember I am going to cook that dish soon. A good recipe is here

1 Like

In Spain (in paella) the hardened rice on the bottom of the pan is called “socorrat.”

2 Likes

That’s exactly right. “Breakfast fried rice” gives much closer search results to what he was making.

Here one here, just bacon and eggs, rice and green onions. Other ingredients are optional.

1 Like

Back in 2012, we had the memorial service for the capt I sailed with for 20 years at Bill Baggs state park. His wife managed several restaurants in Miami over the years and the crew that showed up to cook was phenomenal. The paella pot was 6 ft across. Three chefs were building the paella using boat paddles to stir. They were the best entertainment just watching the highly animated arguments on the proper way to cook various dishes. The only thing they agreed on was how horrible it was that there was no sea turtle meat. They had to get by with scallops, shrimp, conch, squid, lobster and several fishes.

4 Likes

In Malaga Spain there’s a beachfront restaurant that caters to tourists that has a pan about that size. Although the traditional ingreadients are seafood, paella refers more to how it’s cooked rather than the ingredients. It’s traditionally from Valencia, and if you go a few miles inland the traditional paella uses rabbit and snails. My mother is allergic to seafood, so my father often made it with pork, chicken, and chorizo. That’s how I make it now.

Anytime there is more than one cook it will be amusing to watch. There was a diner in the Bronx where on the midnight shift there were two bothers running the kitchen. The entertainment included what I assume are curses in Greek and if you’re lucky, brandishing of chef knives.

2 Likes

I make homemade variations on fried rice all the time, depending on what ingredients I have around. Sometimes just rice with spices. Its super easy, just take some cooked rice, put it in a pan with heated oil, and cook away. Add in onion, carrots, peas, egg, fresh garlic, whatever and you are set. Also experiment with a few drops of sesame oil, just for flavor, not for cooking as it has a low smoke point. Maybe add some soy sauce. You can really make it to taste. I’d also suggest maybe either stir frying the veg first, then adding the rice, or use frozen vegetables, cook them in the microwave, then add them in.

I made a chicken stir fry this week with some Black Bean Paste and some Red Chili Paste that was amazing.

2 Likes

My take on Chinese fried rice, flied lice as the Chinese cook used to say.

Keep wokking!

1 Like

Peanut oil for frying , a little low sodium soy sauce, and sesame oil as a last step yields a pretty authentic Cantonese version. Freeze immediately in flat slabs using gallon freezer bags, then you can break off as much as you need for reheating.

Cheers,

Earl

1 Like

We have it often here as my Lady is Vietnamese. I get a good selection of food from all the SE Asian countries. Never get tired of it.

I love Vietnamese cooking. My favorite is banh xeo, filled crispy pancakes. What is your favorite Vietnamese dish?

1 Like

I’ve had so many variations of fried rice. My favorite is the meat(s) and vegies prepared similar to a stir-fry. I also use saffron rice cooked in chicken broth. It’s best to use cold rice.
As all good meals start with a dead pig,(an old coonass cook once told me), I chop bacon and render until crisp. I reserve enough grease seasoned with crushed garlic and fresh cracked black pepper to sautee the meat of your choice. Then add course chopped onion, celery, bell pepper, shredded carrots and baby corn and sautee. Add soy sauce to taste and oil as needed.
Add the rice, bacon pieces, scrambled eggs and toss until thoroughly mixed and heated. Soy sauce and spicy seasonings to taste.

1 Like

It would have to be spicy shrimp pho or any of the various spring rolls

1 Like