Flying Objects that are not identified

High altitude balloons, really working above a certain point on the earth’s surface with just small deviations, were the balloons of Google’s Project Loon. They could provide internet access in remote aeras.

The balloons transmitted their positions as aircrafts do; on Flightradar24.com (the ‘MarineTraffic’ for aircrafts) they could be seen starting on Puerto Rico and then lingering over South America or equatorial Africa. I had always seen them around 60000 feet ASL.

In 2021, the Project Loon was shut down; Google could not find a viable business model.

More here >>>

1 Like

The three other objects most likely were not weather balloons as they have no way to control altitude. Weather balloons just keep raising until they burst and drop back to earth.

I would have thought you could control the balloon pressure differential so you could control altitude?

Bouyancy is not dependent on pressure, it is a matter of volume. That is why ballonets were invented. Any pressure change related to volume change is incidental and irrelevant.

Evidently weather balloons do sometimes wander off.

Mr. Fetkowitz said the weather balloons lofted by National Weather Service were designed to burst at their highest point and break into fine debris that cannot endanger wildlife down below. He added that some, however, were underinflated and never flew high enough to burst, and thus could wander about aimlessly with the winds.

“A balloon launched in Denver,” he said, “might land in New Jersey.”

Think you have Biden and his predecessor the Russian stooge confused.

1 Like

sure but your saying those huge balloons dont change shape with pressure changes

your dreaming, have you been out to sea for the last couple of years?
Ever heard of Hunter Bidens laptop
or 150 payments from overseas to the bidens accounts

There was no evidence that Trump and Putin did anything

You really are on the DNC kool aid
Perhaps a change of your name is required?

3 Likes

Well shucks. I was hyped for intergalactic war and Raytheon dividends.

1 Like

Yeah I remember when Russia invaded another country during his predecess…oh, right.

2 Likes

Full article here:
THE US AIRFORCE MAY HAVE SHOT DOWN AN AMATEUR RADIO PICO BALLOON OVER CANADA

1 Like

Will Lawyers, aka “Ambulance Chasers” have a field day with this one?
This should be worth $$$ millions.

Imagine how stressfull this must have been for the owners of these balloons and their families, friends and followers on social media.

India Today is not impressed though:

BUT WHATTABOUT HILLARY’S EMAILS?

Maybe quit drinking the Newsmax Koolaid?

1 Like

Not as likely as it appears thorough your xenophobic goggles.

Sorry, I did not read through that in it’s entirety.
Yes, betting against the US Government and DOD MAY be a deterrent?

Time will tell where this one goes. Greedy lawyers finding willing clients to gamble on a large payout is not unheard of. Just need to find a friendly Judge with a grudge.

At least you should be happy to know how your tax money gets used:

PS> Heat seeking missiles works better against hot air balloons. :grinning:

Clients may be willing to gamble, but lawyers usually aren’t, they are not going to take a contingent fee case with little likelihood of prevailing, one third of the cost of a “pico” balloon isn’t much.

You can’t select judges. You might have a choice of what jurisdiction to file in, but you get a randomly selected Judge from that jurisdiction.

The whole package is about $80 apparently. They are all eventually lost so when launched there is no expectation they will be recovered

Its not so much the cost of the balloon and it’s payload as the agony suffered from having your balloon shot out of the sky prematurely, which is priceless.

Knowing that $1 million or more were spent to shoot it down may cause agony to taxpayers, but they can hardly expect to get any compensation.

PS> I know, Sidewinders only cost $400K a pop, but scrambling fighter jets are not free.

From the Aviation Week link that Mac posted.

“I tried contacting our military and the FBI—and just got the runaround—to try to enlighten them on what a lot of these things probably are. And they’re going to look not too intelligent to be shooting them down,” says Ron Meadows, the founder of Scientific Balloon Solutions (SBS), a Silicon Valley company that makes purpose-built pico balloons for hobbyists, educators and scientists.

1 Like

Latest Chinese spy balloon spotted over Manhattan:

USAF scrambling sharpened sticks armed with Hershey bars and graham crackers.

3 Likes