Ex Navy wants to be Tug Mate/Capt

Hello Everyone!!

This is my first post and would love some feedback. I did 4 years in the Navy as a gas turbine technician. I am 37 years old. I have been on two deployments on a US Destroyer traveling well over 100K nautical miles. The ship is 6500 tons and over 100,000 HP by 4 GE LM 2500 Gas Turbines. I finished my quals. as engineroom operator and basically ran main engineroom 2 on our ship. I already have a useless college degree but have no problem going back to school for all the certs I need to attain my 200 ton master/mate license and any other licenses I need to hit the deck running. I live in Portland, Or. and hope to stay in the area working inland on the columbia, willlamette river pushing barges as a tug mate/capt.

My question is to go mate/capt. or engineering where most of my background is? Does my Navy sea time carry over to maritime sea time? I was looking at Clatsop community college for education for my 200 ton mate/master license. School is free for me with the GI BILL so I would prefer to take as many classes as I can before I go looking for a job. What other classes should I take?

Thanks,

Ty

Workboat Academy is probably going to be your best bet.

Other then that you’re still going to need some time on deck before you can even think about getting in the wheelhouse.

[QUOTE=fishflyguy;101534]Hello Everyone!!

This is my first post and would love some feedback. I did 4 years in the Navy as a gas turbine technician. I am 37 years old. I have been on two deployments on a US Destroyer traveling well over 100K nautical miles. The ship is 6500 tons and over 100,000 HP by 4 GE LM 2500 Gas Turbines. I finished my quals. as engineroom operator and basically ran main engineroom 2 on our ship. I already have a useless college degree but have no problem going back to school for all the certs I need to attain my 200 ton master/mate license and any other licenses I need to hit the deck running. I live in Portland, Or. and hope to stay in the area working inland on the columbia, willlamette river pushing barges as a tug mate/capt.

My question is to go mate/capt. or engineering where most of my background is? Does my Navy sea time carry over to maritime sea time? I was looking at Clatsop community college for education for my 200 ton mate/master license. School is free for me with the GI BILL so I would prefer to take as many classes as I can before I go looking for a job. What other classes should I take?

Thanks,

Ty[/QUOTE]

You should go talk to Sause Bros. in Coos Bay. Many of their Captains started out as tug engineers / deckineers.

I doubt that Gas Turbine tech qualifies for any deck time at all. You should go for engineering rather than deck. If you are set on being a tug Capt/Mate, you must work your way up from Ordinary Seaman on deck. Working in the engineering dept. on a Navy ship does not prepare you, or qualify as seatime for Mate/Capt or even AB of a tug.

1 Like