Ever Forward Container Removal

1 Like

One good point about this discharge is that it would appear they have employed C8A auto twistlocks which saves significant time and stops the need for climbing release. There has to be one positive out of all this…….and still only one dredge on station. Odd, to say the least.

I haven’t seen anything about any plans to remove water ballast or fuel oil.

1 Like

I am very curious to see the grounding report from either the USCG or the NTSB.

1 Like

Some thought and ideas about the problems that has become apparent in this and other indicants lately:
The ongoing container discharge from the “EVER FORWARD” has again sparked the discussion as to whether salvors are ready to deal with these large vessels when they run aground. But rather than asking this question, perhaps we should be asking if the shipowners operating these behemoths should look at their entire shipping process in more detail and provide solutions themselves at strategic locations around the globe?

This is not a new question, see the Damen transshipment barge, Wartsila have a similar idea with their port feeder barge concept. Another option is the Floating Container Storage and Transshipment Terminal where transsipment is via a barge or in a slightly different configuration with a smaller container vessel equipped with cranes alongside.
These solutions could have been set to work in normal discharge mode and called upon whenever needed in unusual situations.
Source: Dirk Jan Osinga Director at OOS89 Marine Consultancy

1 Like

Crews remove 500 containers from grounded Ever Forward:

CREWS are working to remove 500 containers from the 11,850-TEU EVER FORWARD that’s been stuck in the Chesapeake Bay, reports CBS News. They will dredge 43 feet deep and two crane barges will be installed. The containers will be removed during the daytime and taken to the Seagirt Marine Terminal in Baltimore. “Salvage experts determined they would not be able to overcome the ground force of the Ever Forward in its current loaded condition,” said the US Coast Guard.The ship first ran aground on March 13 when it became trapped in 24 feet of mud. The first attempts to free the ship involved removing 84,000 cubic yards of mud from around its base as a way to refloat the ship. Even then, the tugboats were unable to pull it free.
Source: Maasmond Newsclippings today

1 Like

They got it free it’s floating again

1 Like

Saw an Evergreen ship when I was fishing the other day. Had to check and see if I was in shallow water :joy:

Did she have a Pilot onboard??