Entry level osv pay?

HOS, ECO, ACO… Entry level OS pay. I currently hold a 100 ton and have been running quad crew boats for a smaller company for couple of years. This company has no ladder to climb as far as furthering my advancements in the industry. I want to learn and succeed in increasing my tonnage, endorsements, and of course experience. I know my credentials have no weight on an osv, was just looking for a little info on what I can expect to earn at entry level as I start all over. I applied for the HOS “ATP” program and they said they would consider me even though I am not completely green. Really hope I can get on with a good company and begin the process.

Do you hold an A/B ? If not then go get that and you may be surprised to shift to the osv side with little to no change in your current pay. $195 for an os wih a 100 ton and about 280-350 for an A/B

Also read the checklist for master 500 grt. Your experience is more valuable then your giving credit.

In the process of getting my AB limited, I want to get the unlimited but I was told I don’t have time on OSVs so I can’t. With my 100 ton, radar endorsement, and AB Ticket on the way I was hoping to get on the deck with a good company. $280-$350 sounds perfect, for what I’m looking to do. Thanks

Read the checklist for ab unlimited it is simple and I can tell you right now you qualify. 1080 days and lifeboatman is all you need. Also go take rfpnw thats a big crutch if you dont have it.

Dont believe anything you hear and only half the things you see

What dumb ass told you you don’t qualify for AB unlimited? You hold a 100 ton master so take lifeboat and an RFPNW class and you get your unlimited. Not being on an OSV has nothing to do with getting your unlimited.

But the bigger question is why don’t you just nut up and get your 500 ton master? No reason to start over, if you’ve been running crew boats in the oil filed then you have plenty of experience to get on an OSV as a mate running the night watch.

Also ACO only has 100 ton boats, go over there and get a job in the wheel house and start out at $325 a day. AB’s are topping out at $350 a day, why sell your self short?

Well now I have to try and call the USCG to try and change my app. to unlimited AB instead of limited. As for who apparently wrongly informed me, it was an instructor at a place in Kenner where I took the class and test. Maybe he gave me an opinion instead of a fact?
As for the 500 ton master, I would love to sometime this year, but with two young kids, one being newborn, I can’t afford the time off to take the class, working a 14/7 schedule. Another reason I want to join a larger, more employee friendly company.
Also to avoid being looked at as someone who just tested out to become a master, I just considered applying as an AB or OS and working my way up, as quickly and respectfully as possible. Only from experience I have seen first hand, a new captain on a crew boat come onboard and be pretty much clueless in the wheelhouse other than holding the wheel on a set course. I am not clueless, but would deffinetly want to gain any respect I could, any way I could.
Any comments or opinions will be considered and appreciateted, just want try and do things the best way or the right way, to get on with, and stay with a great company.

Not sure what you mean about being viewed badly if you just test out for your master. But heres my opinion.
One is if your broke then get the books and study on your own, no one really needs those classes.
Two is if youve got years experience running crew boats then you will likely be respectfuly welcomed into the wheelhouse .
I have a few friends that have jumped from crew boats to osv’s and from AB to the wheelhouse it took them less then a year. But one in particular spent a ton of money on the classes.

Thanks for the tips. I’m trying to get my AB unlimited in my back pocket, and I’m looking to get my hands on some study material for the 500 ton ticket. Let’s see where it takes me.

Bet those clueless captains where from Florida that only ran yachts and charter boats…

If you know how to drive a boat no reason to go back to scrubbing toilets and tying a boat up. All oil field boats do the same basic thing, go out someplace, hold boat under a crane, offload cargo and pump stuff. I just in the last year got my 500 master and moved to supply boats from small boats, with most of my time being on utility boats, and have had no problems making the switch. This respect thing you have is all in your head. If you can move around Fourchon and offload a boat offshore with out breaking anything or anybody then the respect will comes easy enough. As long as your not an asshole. Also most guys with 500 and 1600 ton masters had a 100 ton at one point so they worked their way up just like you did. But if any body tries to give you grief for coming off of small boats, just tell them to kiss your ass and move on. I work out here because I like what I do and to support my family, not worry about what some body thinks of me and how I got in the wheel house.

Start talking to places with mini supplies or at least 28/14 or 14/14 so you can get the time you need to start taking classes. No reason to go back to deck and take a pay cut to do this. Now if you end up at a place like Chouest that has a school that cost you nothing to attend from day one that might be a good choice. But they are the only ones I know that are like that.

The next thing is to figure out what classes you need and when you can take them. I’m a big fan of Fletcher good instructors plus they are cheap, even cheaper if you can get the in state tuition, you can have them bill your company directly if you live out of state to get the in state rate. It’s all the same stuff, the guys who paid way to much always talk about how much better their class was, but that’s just something they tell them selves to make them feel better about spending an extra grand per class.

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;89583]Bet those clueless captains where from Florida that only ran yachts and charter boats…

If you know how to drive a boat no reason to go back to scrubbing toilets and tying a boat up. All oil field boats do the same basic thing, go out someplace, hold boat under a crane, offload cargo and pump stuff. I just in the last year got my 500 master and moved to supply boats from small boats, with most of my time being on utility boats, and have had no problems making the switch. This respect thing you have is all in your head. If you can move around Fourchon and offload a boat offshore with out breaking anything or anybody then the respect will comes easy enough. As long as your not an asshole. Also most guys with 500 and 1600 ton masters had a 100 ton at one point so they worked their way up just like you did. But if any body tries to give you grief for coming off of small boats, just tell them to kiss your ass and move on. I work out here because I like what I do and to support my family, not worry about what some body thinks of me and how I got in the wheel house.

Start talking to places with mini supplies or at least 28/14 or 14/14 so you can get the time you need to start taking classes. No reason to go back to deck and take a pay cut to do this. Now if you end up at a place like Chouest that has a school that cost you nothing to attend from day one that might be a good choice. But they are the only ones I know that are like that.

The next thing is to figure out what classes you need and when you can take them. I’m a big fan of Fletcher good instructors plus they are cheap, even cheaper if you can get the in state tuition, you can have them bill your company directly if you live out of state to get the in state rate. It’s all the same stuff, the guys who paid way to much always talk about how much better their class was, but that’s just something they tell them selves to make them feel better about spending an extra grand per class.[/QUOTE]

Jemplayer hit it right on the head. Very good advice.

ECO has free training all the way up the hawspipe to master. They pay $300/ day for AB/ rigger. Rigger card they will get you in orientation…2 day class. Promotions come quickly as fleet is growing rapidly.

I’m in the same boat. 150 ton master, ab unlimited, stcw, oicnw, lifeboat. Looking to make the switch. Did you have any luck yet?

Wait til the middle of January then start harassing the various personnel departments. The holidays are the slow time for hiring.

No luck yet, still working on a crewboat, but come mid January and February I’ll be calling companies everyday. Good luck to you.