Ensco

I recently had a recruiter from ENSCO contact me via email about a DPO position. I plan on calling him when i get back from this hitch but had a few questions for gcaptain. How are the benefits and equipment? Is ensco competitive on the pay scale? I am currently working as a mate/dpo on a dive boat and am looking to move to drilling if the right oppurtunity comes along.

Thanks

Did you even try doing a search on “ENSCO” or “drilling companies”?

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;75669]Did you even try doing a search on “ENSCO” or “drilling companies”?[/QUOTE]

Actually yes I did but I could not find specific information I am looking for. Thank you for the sarcastic typical gcaptain remark though I found it very useful.

Look for a thread “drilling company benefits”. I thought ensco was mentioned. They have also been mentioned in other threads rating the various drilling companies.

[QUOTE=New-mate;75684]Actually yes I did but I could not find specific information I am looking for. Thank you for the sarcastic typical gcaptain remark though I found it very useful.[/QUOTE]

You’re lucky I didn’t reply yesterday…

Why are you Goddamned punks worry so much about getting the “best deal”? If you want to get into drilling and you have nobody else calling you just take the job and be thankful to be getting your break that dozens if not hundreds of others are hoping for!

Yeah I read that but I was really looking for more specific information from someone who has worked for them not just general overall information. I know that they have some rigs that still only require DPOʻs without licenses and such.

So eager to be mean and assume. I am not looking for the best deal… It’s just that I got an offer from Noble drilling and the pay is significantly less than what I make at my current job. I just want to be sure that it is a good company before I decide to jump ship since my current job is good.

[QUOTE=New-mate;75693]So eager to be mean and assume. I am not looking for the best deal… It’s just that I got an offer from Noble drilling and the pay is significantly less than what I make at my current job. I just want to be sure that it is a good company before I decide to jump ship since my current job is good.[/QUOTE]

Ok, point taken, but don’t go to Noble if you can go to ENSCO “IF” what you want is to cross over to drilling. Drilling is not the greatest of the greatest out there for mate/dpo jobs and if you like being on more of a real vessel instead of a drillship (which is a rig no matter what anybody else may say), then stay where you are. Eventually, you will go far on that side once you get enough years under your belt. The underside is that you can’t get UL master on a US flag large OSV but UL master isn’t needed in the GoM unless you want to be master of a drillship or a foreign subsea vessel (and most of them don’t have American masters anyway).

Thanks for the information. Yeah the only reason I would move to drilling is for the money since I hear from many friends that it isn’t the most exciting. Also the new equipment seems pretty cool. Also to upgrade to UL CM and master since I just upgraded to 2m. Getting away from bayou Laflush also seems appealing to me. I’ll hash it out with the recruiter and see what they are offering and if it’s right then I suppose I’ll move to the golden prison.

Oh and by the way c.captain what would you say the greatest dpo job would be??

[QUOTE=New-mate;75700]Oh and by the way c.captain what would you say the greatest dpo job would be??[/QUOTE]

My advice to you is to get on one of the large HOS MPSV’s or the G1200 or any large foreign offshore vessel where they have American mariners (CalDive has them). That way you get the offshore $$$ (albeit, not as high as drilling) but also will get the upgrade potential as well. The ONLY reason to go drilling is to drill for dollars.

I wish it were easy to just hop on one of the MPSVs. There’s a big ol waiting list. I’d like to get on one myself.

Stay away from Cal Dive! I have a buddy on the Global 1201 and he likes it

[QUOTE=c.captain;75713]My advice to you is to get on one of the large HOS MPSV’s or the G1200 or any large foreign offshore vessel where they have American mariners (CalDive has them). That way you get the offshore $$$ (albeit, not as high as drilling) but also will get the upgrade potential as well. The ONLY reason to go drilling is to drill for dollars.[/QUOTE]

G1200 only hires people with DP cert.

[QUOTE=Skoidat69;75772]Stay away from Cal Dive! I have a buddy on the Global 1201 and he likes it[/QUOTE]

When did the G1201 get Americans on her? Btw, a good friend of mine is a master at CalDive and he likes it and is making good money as well. Sure the vessels are old but it takes more skill to run the broken down old ones. I should know!

My buddy is on the G120? that was hanging out in Pensacola. I wasn’t making that great of $$ at Cal Dive. The people on the boat were great but the office left something to be desired…that’s why I have golden handcuffs on now.

[QUOTE=Skoidat69;75786]My buddy is on the G120? that was hanging out in Pensacola. I wasn’t making that great of $$ at Cal Dive. The people on the boat were great but the office left something to be desired…that’s why I have golden handcuffs on now.[/QUOTE]

That’s the G1200 which is supposed to going to West Africa and has been having significant turnover since they started to put Americans on it. I would image that Technip will want Northern Marine Management to take the Americans off before it goes.

I got an offer for UL AB on the G1200 last month. Heard they turned most of the crew at least every few months. Didn’t take it because of that.

G1200 has a couple of small heavy lift jobs before going to Ghana 9-15. As to turn over, they had a major mechanical issue and went from 226 to 78. The entire marine crew stayed at full strength. As to other turn over: mates total 12, 4 left to better paying jobs. Of the deck hands total 6, 3 left for better pay and 2 wusses. American crews visaed for trip to Ghana. Minimal American crew on 1201. It operates in pacific.

Ensco has plenty of rigs that don;t require licenses! I was on one of their drillships recently and the marine crew was telling me how frustrated they were with the fact that ENSCO was a DRILLING company and knew nothing about the marine side of things. Hopefully, they will try to learn now that they have taken over the drillSHIPS from Pride.
As for thier equipment, all I have seen has been new and well taken care of. I have been on 8500 class semisubmersibles and one of their newbuild drillships, very nice.
I could’t tell you about how they compare as far as benefits but pay is very low compared to other drilling companies (except Noble). They will at least give you training and the best part is, they are one of the few ways to break into drilling, they don;t insist you have years of drilling experience before you start;-)
Hope that helps