Engine’s OOW CoC / courses

Good Day colleagues,

My name is Roberto, I’m a seafarer from Honduras. I’ve been working on a cruise ship for 10 years total and in the engine department for almost 04 years and would like to move forward with my career. I have all the courses required to obtain a OOW CoC from Honduras, however, this’s not recognized by the flag of the company’s vessels, therefore, I cannot get an endorsement from them.

I’m searching for information regarding this and if any option in US to obtain such certification(STCW III/1)?

Regards,

Roberto

The United States does not recognize or endorse certificates of other flags. In addition, you must be a United States citizen to obtain an original certificate of competence from the United States.

2 Likes

Hello,

Appreciate you’re prompt response, meaning me as a foreign cannot even study in US to get this courses? Been a citizen of a country should not matters when talking about STCW.

Anyway, thank you!

Regards,

Roberto

Whether another flag will recognize courses given in and approved by the United States is up to the flag that issues the certificate, not the U.S.

the course is either a STCW-95 or its not, so IMO recognised or its a local ticket

Hello, thank you for your message.

I think you misunderstood my question which actually was if there’s any training center in US where I can take the necessary course to get an OOW CoC. I am not asking to endorse my actual certificate of competency however I am asking where I can get new courses.

Regards,

Roberto

Hello, I appreciate your guidance.

Regards,

Roberto

It’s not that simple. There is some commonality for “ancillary” courses (chapters IV to VI) of STCW, but not so for certificates (chapters II and III) of STCW. The STCW only prescribes minimum service and competency requirements for certificates. Every flag decides what courses and demonstrations of competence are required for certification. Threre may not be, and probably isn’t a direct correlation of the individual components of what one flag requires vs another.

I understand your question completely. It sounds like you don’t like the answers to your questions.

If you meet the United States’ requirements for a visa that will allow you to take courses in the United States, you can probably find a school approved by the United States that will take your money and enroll you. Whether another flag will accept that training for a certificate issued by that flag is up to them. You need to ask the certification authority of the flag of the vessels you work on what they will, and will not accept.

Hello,

Great, we are getting somewhere. Any of you know a T. Center that can give me an option to enroll?

I start to late the engineering career and cannot afford stay more than 4 months without income. I should be eligible to enter US as I possess a tourist and seafarer visa.

You are right on the flag requirement, each authority have the right to endorse or not a CoC/CoP, even the country where the license has been granted is under the STCW, IMO and SOLAS regulations.

Not sure why all crew needs to be endorse by the flag even is not part of the minimum-SM, perhaps is an insurance policy for the vessel/company.

Regards,

Roberto

Replied to the wrong post…

Having had training as a “collateral” duty while at an oil major marine dept, Had to know the in’s and outs of International Licensing and Training since we had US Flag, Panamanian Flag and Liberian Flag vessels- Employed about 30 Honduran seafarers under contract…

Most if not all held Panamanian CoC’s in addition to their home flag state-There was also some reciprocity between them for some (not all) STCW Certs- and some training. The IMO “White List” refers to Flag States which are signatory and approved to the various STCW Conventions and annexes…Certain Flag States will accept internationally obtained STCW Training, other will not (a memorable one was Bulgaria- we had a Port Capt who was a Deck Officer- Bulgaria would ONLY accept training obtained in Bulgaria)-

STCW Endorsements are a different story- Each Flag State “sails” by it’s own rules with the US and other Flag States only issuing STCW Endorsed CoC’s AFTER obtaining the national flag state CoC- further, some will not accept internationally obtained training. Panama (as last I know) did accept reciprocity from Honduran CoC’s… Hope this helps.

Finally, there was an IMO White List training reciprocity chart at one time- if I find it, I will post it…

Training Section – General Directorate of The Merchant Marine Of Honduras[:en]General Directorate of The Merchant Marine Of Honduras[:]

Hello,

Appreciate yours and everybody messages.

Due political and corruption (most) issues, Panama stop homology Honduras’s certificates (except for GMDSS). and 'cause the same reason, most of the “Flags” stop endorsing HND CoCs.

For the meantime, I’m trying to attend the necessary STCW training in Indonesia or Panama, just want to get a national CoC that allow me to continue working on cruise ships and not need to move to a cargo ship, although for me is no difference, the first option allows me to bring my family in my own cabin.

I think you are referring to these lists: White, Grey and Black List | Paris MoU

Regards,

Roberto.