Engine department service for 3rd mate

3rd MATE 46 CFR
1080 days of deck service on Ocean/NC steam or motor vessels, OF
WHICH
180 days as AB, Boatswain, or Quartermaster, (while holding AB)
90 days of engine department service may be creditable, OR

Has anyone here used any engine room time for a deck license…? Does the sea service letter need to have anything special documented on it besides the obvious?

Does the vessel that the ER time is done on, have to meet the same requirements as vessels for a 3rd mate license …In other words does the ER time have to be done on vessels >200 ?

Does half of that time ,have to be on >1600 as well or will all ER time be acceptable on vessels>200 ?

Thanks

I had a full year as a FN in the Navy. They counted a chunk of that towards my AB. 3rd mate is an extension of that, so shouldn’t be an issue. But then, with these new rules…

Sheesh Paul, From one extreme to the other…After a year in the hole I bet the signal bridge was like being on top of the world…

[QUOTE=RkyMtn Paul;30944]I had a full year as a FN in the Navy. They counted a chunk of that towards my AB. 3rd mate is an extension of that, so shouldn’t be an issue. But then, with these new rules…[/QUOTE]

Thats because there is some clause in the CFRs that says FN can count towards deck and SN time can count towards engineering. I dont know if it still applies if you make E-4 and up though

Looks like I found the passage but it’s not clear if all can be done on a >200 ton vessel or if half, still needs to be done on >1600…

I love searching for the answers to this stuff but sometimes I feel like I am left with more questions than I started with…:frowning:

CFR 10.407

Three years of service in the deck department on ocean steam or
motor vessels, six months of which shall have been as able seaman,
boatswain, or quartermaster, while holding a certificate as able seaman.
[B]Experience gained in the engine department on vessels of appropriate
tonnage[/B] may be creditable for up to three months of the service
requirements for this license; or,

[QUOTE=Shellback;30951]I love searching for the answers to this stuff but sometimes I feel like I am left with more questions than I started with…:frowning:

[/QUOTE]

I cant tell you how true that is…

[QUOTE=Shellback;30951]Looks like I found the passage but it’s not clear if all can be done on a >200 ton vessel or if half, still needs to be done on >1600…

I love searching for the answers to this stuff but sometimes I feel like I am left with more questions than I started with…:frowning:

CFR 10.407

Three years of service in the deck department on ocean steam or
motor vessels, six months of which shall have been as able seaman,
boatswain, or quartermaster, while holding a certificate as able seaman.
[B]Experience gained in the engine department on vessels of appropriate
tonnage[/B] may be creditable for up to three months of the service
requirements for this license; or,[/QUOTE]

46CFR 11.402 a) To qualify for an ocean or near coastal endorsement for vessels of any gross tons, all the required experience must be obtained on vessels of over 200 gross tons. At least one-half of the required experience must be obtained on vessels of over 1600 gross tons.

I would think that if the months you get in the ER are on an over 200 gross ton vessel you’re gold.

Ditto Jeffrox. For AGT all 1080 over 200GRT and 540 of that over 1600GRT, otherwise you get a tonnage limitation.