3rd mate unlimited to 2nd mate unlimited question

I currently have 260 days of service on unlimited tonnage. And around 220 days of limited service on tugs. Can I use that limited service time for my unlimited time? I know it’s in the cfr but it doesn’t make any sense and is not straight forward. Any one know anything about this?

You need to learn how to google. It will be on the Exam. About 30 seconds got me this:

360 days:

All required service is on vessels over 200 GRT, AND 50% of the required service is on vessels over 1600 GRT

You should be good, assuming the tug was over 200.

All of the tonnage needs to be over 200gt and 50% needs to be on boats over 1600gt. See checklist from the NMC website. I have one more hitch before i submit sea time for my upgrade to 2nd mate and get that 1600 master crossover test out of the way.

Oh it’s pretty clear…

[QUOTE=rsandneriii;125731]I currently have 260 days of service on unlimited tonnage. And around 220 days of limited service on tugs. Can I use that limited service time for my unlimited time? I know it’s in the cfr but it doesn’t make any sense and is not straight forward. Any one know anything about this?[/QUOTE]

Ever wonder why your 3rd exam asked questions about the what’s in the CFR, and why there was a a big pile of them on your desk when you took the test?

[B]YOU’RE SUPPOSED TO KNOW HOW TO USE THEM[/B]

I guess I should learn how to use Google thank you for some of your answers.

You are close enough. Just send in your package. By the time your application gets through Review you will have enough days so you can just fax them an up to date sea time letter with the required days if you need to. If those are 12hr days on the unlimited sea time you have enough for RIG to 2nd mate if all that time is as 3rd.

Also call them. That’s what I did when I couldn’t get an answer explained to me better.

The 12 hour for 1.5 time shouldn’t be applicable on unlimited tonnage, unless for some reason they’re authorized to work a 2-watch system.

You are correct. I was posting that because I am. Good point

But yes, like Murph said, if you’re in a rush and only short a few days definitely get the ball rolling sooner rather than later. Add the missing seatime when they ask, but you do have a window of what, 60 days or something? So make sure the office that will be writing the letter understands and won’t drag their feet.

[QUOTE=z-drive;125737]You should be good, assuming the tug was over 200.[/QUOTE]

Pretty bold assumption. I’d be more likely to assume it was 198 or 199 GRT.

A bold assumption for this guy asking such bold questions! Man I’ve only encountered a handful of tugs over 200…maybe 1 built after the 70’s.

I went through this over ten years ago. If it was 199t you’re screwed even if you were a licensed captain like I was. At least you don’t have to take those worthless schools anymore