Education Proposal

Hey gang, I need some help, guidance or even some ideas…

I talked with my fleet operations manager today and found out that they are going to have some major cash left over from this years budget…I asked him if they might have some left over for education ? He asked what I was thinking and I pitched the idea of them helping me financially with the STCW classes for 1600 mate .

.He was very open to the idea, now I need to write a proposal for him to submit to his superiors…This company does not have an existing educational program for their mariners, at this time and I am trying to get this changed…After looking around at various business proposal templates, I was wondering if one, for for something like this, may already exist …Also, any ideas of what to include ,excluding the obvious, would be very helpful, thanks…

[QUOTE=Shellback;18462]Hey gang, I need some help, guidance or even some ideas…

I talked with my fleet operations manager today and found out that they are going to have some major cash left over from this years budget…I asked him if they might have some left over for education ? He asked what I was thinking and I pitched the idea of them helping me financially with the STCW classes for 1600 mate .

.He was very open to the idea, now I need to write a proposal for him to submit to his superiors…This company does not have an existing educational program for their mariners, at this time and I am trying to get this changed…After looking around at various business proposal templates, I was wondering if one, for for something like this, may already exist …Also, any ideas of what to include ,excluding the obvious, would be very helpful, thanks…[/QUOTE]

Just give him the cost of the required STCW classes and see if he has a heart attack.

Business is business and presentation is everything. Go to Microsoft website and search for proposals. You will find plenty of templates to use. Pick one that you think fits the level of sophistication they would appreciate and then go thru and plug in your facts. Make sure to include a contact sheet that they could call and discuss. Best bet is to contact the local schools and get the person’s name that would be best for your operations guy to talk to, tell him what you are trying to do, and then use that info in the contact sheet. That way if your guy starts calling anyone on the contact sheet he will be speaking directly to someone that is in on the gig and of course they will do all the hard selling for you.

Good luck!

Take it one step further and contact the schools that you are interested in attending. They will want your/their money and may be able to help you craft the document.
MTSKIER

The best program I’ve heard of is AB to Mate program with Crowley. Acceptance depends on seniority and reccomendations from captains.

Your 28/28 wages are paid while attending required courses at Piney Point. I’m not sure if union contributions are made in this rate. I’m sure there is some stipulation on the ownership of the candidate’s soul.

Thanks for the comments, that helps me a lot…

[quote=injunear;18491]The best program I’ve heard of is AB to Mate program with Crowley. Acceptance depends on seniority and reccomendations from captains.

Your 28/28 wages are paid while attending required courses at Piney Point. I’m not sure if union contributions are made in this rate. I’m sure there is some stipulation on the ownership of the candidate’s soul.[/quote]

I think some individuals on this forum may have had bad experiences with that program.

Having been on the ops side of the desk, let me just recommend that the proposal is a win-win for you and the company.
When I had training money, I liked to see my crewmembers make an investment in their own education, like a down payment for a house; consider it equity.
But the terms should be fair to the cash-strapped sailor, something along the lines of the company pays for 95% of the course cost up front, but you make small no-interest payments to them. Every 6 months of employment with them after completion of the class, 25% of the debt is forgiven. If you quit immediately after completion of the classes, they’ve got a signed contract and can hold you liable for the debt, but if you stay with them, then you get darn near the whole thing paid for.
Or whatever you can creatively come up with that works for both of you.
Congrats and good luck!

Other than the bad food, I can’t imagine what the candidates could find wrong. Union school, room and board, paid transportation, and the wages you would draw on your normal rotation.

The only complaints I’m aware of is being passed over.

Thanks Danzante,
I couldn’t agree with you more, it is a win-win for both…Since there is no formal, extended training program that is established here , going for the full amount seemed to be a real long shot…As Anchorman said, I really didn’t want to scare them to death…

I just went for half the total amount, for what it will cost through PMI…I also proposed an employment guarantee but was not specific on the amount of time, everything is negotiable…:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Shellback;18532]Thanks Danzante,
I couldn’t agree with you more, it is a win-win for both…Since there is no formal, extended training program that is established here , going for the full amount seemed to be a real long shot…As Anchorman said, I really didn’t want to scare them to death…

I just went for half the total amount, for what it will cost through PMI…I also proposed an employment guarantee but was not specific on the amount of time, everything is negotiable…:)[/QUOTE]

Sounds great! Congrats again and we’ll see you in the halls at PMI.
Cheers,
Jill

NEGOTIATE!

Ask for everything and whittle it down from there.

[quote=seadog!;18544]NEGOTIATE!

Ask for everything and whittle it down from there.[/quote]

Where is Shatner when you need him?