Econ ships and lower oil prices

Any knowledge on how Econ ships are being affected by the lower oil prices? What would be the average charter rate for an Econ ship now?

I see “Econ” and I think Economics. What is an “Econ ship”? :confused:

[QUOTE=socalguy;156234]I see “Econ” and I think Economics. What is an “Econ ship”? :confused:[/QUOTE]

US Lines built a class of ships originally referred as Econs but they were last operated by Mearsk and are all scrapped now. That said I would assume he referred to ships built as Econ(omical) with lower fuel consumption in relation to carrying capacity and speed. Charter rates are all about supply and demand keeping in mind the charterer pays for fuel.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Chief Seadog;156235]US Lines built a class of ships originally referred as Econs but they were last operated by Mearsk and are all scrapped now. That said I would assume he referred to ships built as Econ(omical) with lower fuel consumption in relation to carrying capacity and speed. Charter rates are all about supply and demand keeping in mind the charterer pays for fuel.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I was referring to economical ships. As far as the charterer paying for fuel goes, it seems that information of current rates is not for the public eye. I am curious if anyone believes these lower prices will make a difficult market for economically based ship builders. I know in 2012 there was a conference called RINA that aimed at supporting the production of these ships. Now that fuel costs are not much of a concern (though I am sure they will rise again) are these companies seeing a decrease in production, and for those already active are they becoming obsolete because they are much slower?

Ah, roger that. Hadn’t seem that term before. With regards to fuel prices I’m curious, do shipping companies hedge their fuel prices like the airlines do?

MSC has an Econ ship & have put cranes on it. It’s at the shipyard in charleston right now.

The navy’s MSC or the shipping line? The navy loves throwing cranes on ships thats for sure.

I think there are 2 of the old USLines econs. MLL has both on charter to MSC as prepo ships.

[QUOTE=Tugted;156264]MSC has an Econ ship & have put cranes on it. It’s at the shipyard in charleston right now.[/QUOTE]

Why the hell would they do that?

[QUOTE=Pilot;156279]I think there are 2 of the old USLines econs. MLL has both on charter to MSC as prepo ships.[/QUOTE]

I forgot about those 2. They are ammo ships now.

[QUOTE=Chief Seadog;156289]I forgot about those 2. They are ammo ships now.[/QUOTE]

Man, hope that they aren’t being used for UNREP. . .