ECO Housing

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;142412]and what part of this thread has anything to do with drillers? big money apples vs. rotting cajun crawfish…

• Updated - - -

yeaahh! nothing quite like 4-6 weeks of free classes in between your 6-9 mos hitches.

please, please tell me they are hiring!!![/QUOTE]

They are always hiring. Here is the kicker, you have to go there and sit in the office. Spend your money and roll the dice. Not certain they will hire you today or next week, just keep stopping by. They are always hiring generally speaking. It is only timing your visit to the exact moment a spot opens. Lots of people get their start there and as you can see from the various types of responses to this thread, many make a career of it and seem very happy.

[QUOTE=Louis;142363]Why in the Hell do all you guys with made up names come on this site and air out dirty laundry if you are not happy grow some freaking balls and send Mr. Gary and e-mail or Dino and use your name. [/QUOTE]

When I read the first post on this thread, I actually thought the same thing. The post really accomplishes nothing. I have spent many nights at this facility over my career. It isn’t the best for sure, but the price is right. What Louis says is true, also. If you truly want this improvement, then Mr. Gary is just a morning report away. I have been gone from ECO for 6 years, but I remember that if I ever had an issue I felt was important, I could always put it on the Monday morning Gary Chouest report. On several items I put on there, action was swift. They could tell you to love it or leave it, but at least your voice would be heard by someone that could make a difference.

As far as the attack on Louis, I can tell you from experience. No matter how long Louis is away from those boats, one would be hard pressed to be a better mariner or boat handler. I worked with him almost 6 years and I have a lot of respect and admiration for the man. I have worked with hundreds of Captains and he is one of the best. Eventually we will all leave the water behind, but it will forever be in our veins.

[QUOTE=Bmoore;142373] Also most if not all drill companies offer to pay for hotel, classes, and pay your day rate. QUOTE]

You can not compare a boat company to a drilling company. It is pure economics and the work on a rig is much more demanding on a day to day basis. It takes a special person to do both, but sometimes the BS gets pretty bad. Having to pay a certain amount or provide a certain benefit is what it takes to keep people onboard. If drilling companies did not have to do it they wouldn’t either, but they do. The main reason I did leave the boats to go to the drilling companies was because I was not happy with the benefits in regards to training that they offered on the boats. I was trying to get my chief mates license, and I was paying out of pocket for my courses, hotel, food and transportation. I was actually staying in a crew house in Ft. Lauderdale with several other people. Everyone in my classes was working for the drilling contractors getting the red carpet rolled out for them. I was thinking, man I have really been missing out. Fortunately I was one of the lucky ones that was able to get on and the rest is history. If you are not happy with your situation, then do something about it. To whine, moan and complain about something you can not or do not know how to change is embarrassing. Step it up and make your own changes.

When any company chooses to offer something like “free” employee housing it should be safe, sanitary, and reasonable quality, or it should be shutdown as unsafe, unsanitary and unfit for normal human habitation. When a company offers housing it should match the quality of the company and it’s employees, or it should not be offered. When a company offers substandard housing it is basically saying that it considers its employees substandard and unworthy of decent housing.

I work for a small tug company that provides about the same “perks” as most competing tug companies. We receive door to door full salary, per diem for meals, housing in good quality national chain hotels in our own rooms, and fully paid travel. The company pays all expenses to go to courses, but no salary to attend. It’s not just the drilling contractors who treat their employees decently.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;142483]When any company chooses to offer something like “free” employee housing it should be safe, sanitary, and reasonable quality, or it should be shutdown as unsafe, unsanitary and unfit for normal human habitation. When a company offers housing it should match the quality of the company and it’s employees, or it should not be offered. When a company offers substandard housing it is basically saying that it considers its employees substandard and unworthy of decent housing.

I work for a small tug company that provides about the same “perks” as most competing tug companies. We receive door to door full salary, per diem for meals, housing in good quality national chain hotels in our own rooms, and fully paid travel. The company pays all expenses to go to courses, but no salary to attend. It’s not just the drilling contractors who treat their employees decently.[/QUOTE]

Amen brother! You can refer back to the posts about the last Chouest managers meeting where it was touted that Chouest is the greatest. We are number one they said. The problem with that is the context that it is number one because of the all knowing and wonderful Chouest family has made it so, and everyone else should be grateful to bask in the glowing glory of their presence. There is no need to file a morning report as you call it. Gary knows, Dino knows, the entire Chouest family knows exactly the state of their “perks”. If you truly want a world class company then you MUST be inclusive of everyone. You must attract the best and the brightest. I doubt the best and the brightest are overly impressed… hence the need to sign promissory notes to retain them for as long as possible before they bolt.

The upside is that Chouest is my competition, so I only look on in amazement, feel sorry for my friends the work there continually hoping for change, and hope they don’t buy my company out. They are certainly a case study in the making.

The most dangerous phrase in the language is “We’ve always done it that way.”

Sadly, mud boat companies don’t see it that way.

I wonder if people will still be bitching if it’s slow and there are layoffs…

[QUOTE=Louis;142370]Seems i hit a nerve Well let me tell you this MY License is up to date and I’m ready to go back offshore at anytime i’m needed. I grew up running a boat that is a skill i will never forget and i will be more than happy to go on your boat and prove it to you so obviously you don’t know me I’m still a mariner and I try to help other mariners with trying to give back to the industry but it just pisses me off to come on here and see shit like this no I never said it was a perk. BUT let me say this who else offers this to their people free housing, free meals while at school and free classes that cost several thousands of dollars no one says you have to stay there if you don’t like it, no one says you have to eat the food so if you don’t like it go somewhere else and pay to eat that is what i’m saying don’t come on here and cry about it. when this site open up it was to give useful information on training and licensing and some of the routes to take not to come on here and talk about this. SO with that said let me ask you this you JOINED GCaptain yesterday to just come say this. and I know it is your screen name if you come here for training on the side by ourself let me know who you are dirtychief69 it will stay with me but i’m looking forward to it.[/QUOT

Louis, you haven’t change a bit.

Louis…u mentioned the free classes that cost thousands. U forgot to mention the govt. grants and tax breaks that the chouests get because ofthe training center. Im not bashing, just saying. I bet mr gary would shit in his pants if a fancy client had to stay in that housing that has been ruined since the gay romanians trashed it,years ago,not long after it was built.
louis…warren and gumbo are both gonna read this…tuff guy.

Lol that place was a dump in the mid 2000’s or so! Didn’t think it could get much worse. All those filthy foreign visa shipyard workers, I remember overflowing trash barrels with nasty beer cans everywhere amongst other items.

When Nicky was trying to sell us on jobs back the he raved about the new crew housing they were building ‘any day.’

[QUOTE=Enarubin;142499]I wonder if people will still be bitching if it’s slow and there are layoffs…[/QUOTE]

That’s a stupid argument. You can say that about every career in the world, yet there’s companies still taking care of their people.

Message received. I won’t post anymore stupid arguments since you don’t approve. All mighty.

Meanwhile back over at the Company of Choice we have the most excellent accommodations for all ranks at the best hotels around thanks to our willingness to share our bank accounts with local vendors.