ECDIS Grandfather

Aloha from Maui All,

I graduated from CMA in 2003, and I believe we were the first class to have approved Transas ECDIS in our curriculum. When I did my last renewal in 2020 I did not send in proof of ECDIS training to meet eh new 2017 requirement to have it on my MMC as I was sailing tugs and didn’t need it and had no plans to ever need it.

Fast forward to the Lahaina fire, lost my tour business, and now need ECDIS to sail with Matson. It says on my license “not valid for vessels equipped with ECDIS.” This is the first of my many MMC’s in the last 20 years to say this.

So I sent in an application to have the restriction removed along with letters from the CMA Captain at the time (and the lady in charge of records) stating my approved ECDIS training. Just in case I also sent a copy of USCG Policy letter 12-07 which states:

“The Coast Guard has been approving ECDIS courses for several years in anticipation of a
future requirement for ECDIS training, and will continue to do so. Previously approved
courses will be accepted to meet any new requirements. Mariners who have completed
Coast Guard approved or accepted ECDIS courses in the past will not need to take
additional training.”

It was my understanding that they would approve my previous ECDIS training as per that paragraph. I was wrong, they did not accept it. Do any of my fellow mariners have any insight into this? The woman in charge of Honolulu REC, Erika, thought i would be good to go no problem…what say you?

1 Like

CMA was not approved for ECDIS for the class of 2003. CMA was not approved for ECDIS until after 2013. The approval for CMA in effect from 2002 to 2007 did not include ECDIS:

Any cadet successfully completing the entire four-year deck program and presenting your Training Record Book with all required assessments and entries completed will:
(1) Satisfy the training requirements of 46 CFR 10.901(c)(1) and Table A-II/1 of the STCW Code, “Specification of Minimum Standard of Competence for Officers in Charge of a Navigational Watch on Ships of 500 Gross Tonnage or More” PROVIDED that they have acquired at least 360 days of sea service; --AND—
(2) Satisfy the training requirements of 46 CFR 12.05-3(c) and Table A-II/4 of the STCW Code, “Specification of Minimum Standard of Competence for Ratings Forming Part of a Navigational Watch”; --AND—
(3) Satisfy the Basic and Advanced Fire Fighting training requirements of 46 CFR 10.205(g) and 10.401(g)(1) for a license; the Advanced Fire Fighting training requirements of Section A-VI/3 and Table A-VI/3 of the STCW Code; and the Fire Fighting training requirements of 46 CFR 13.113(d)(2)(i)(A), 13.113(e)(1)(i)(A) or (B), 13.201(e), 13.301(e), 13.401(e) or 13.501(e) for any tankerman endorsement; --AND—
(4) Satisfy the First Aid & CPR training requirements of 46 CFR 10.205(h)(1)(ii) and (h)(2)(iii); --AND—
(5) Satisfy the sea service requirements of 10.407(a)(2)(iv) and may examine for a license as Third Mate of Ocean Steam or Motor Vessels of Any Gross Tons, PROVIDED that all other requirements, including, but not limited to citizenship, physical standards, and character and background checks, have also been satisfied; --AND—
(6) Satisfy the service requirements of 46 CFR 12.05-7(b)(1) and the written and practical examination requirements of 46 CFR 12.05-9 and may be issued an endorsement as Able Seaman - Unlimited, PROVIDED that all other requirements, including, but not limited to citizenship, physical standards, and character and background checks, have also been satisfied; --AND—
(7) Satisfy the Bridge Team Work training requirements of 46 CFR 10.205(o); --AND—
(8) Satisfy the ARPA training requirements of 46 CFR 10.205(m)(1) and will be considered to have successfully demonstrated the competencies “Use of Radar and ARPA to Maintain Safety of Navigation” of Table A-II/1 of the STCW Code and “Maintain Navigation Through the Use of Radar and ARPA and Modern Navigation Systems to Assist Command Decision Making” of Table A-II/2 of the STCW Code; --AND—
(9) Satisfy the GMDSS training requirements of 46 CFR 10.205(n) and Table A-IV/2 of the STCW Code; --AND—
(10) Satisfy the training requirements of 46 CFR 10.480 for endorsement as Radar Observer (Unlimited); --AND—
(11) Satisfy the Personal Survival training requirements of Section A-VI/1 and Table A-VI/1-1 of the STCW Code and 46 CFR 10.205(l)(1) and the Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting training requirements of Section A-VI/1 and Table A-VI/1-2 of the STCW Code and 46 CFR 10.205(l)(2); and the Elementary First Aid training requirements of Section A-VI/1 and Table A-VI/1-3 of the STCW Code and 46 CFR 10.205(l)(3); the Personal Safety & Social Responsibilities training requirements of Section A-VI/1 and Table A-VI/1-4 of the STCW Code and 46 CFR 10.205(l)(4); --AND—
(12) Satisfy the training requirements of STCW Code Section A-VI/4, “Standard Of Competence For Seafarers Designated To Provide Medical First Aid On Board Ship”, and Table A-VI/4-1, “Proficiency in Medical First Aid” and be considered to have successfully demonstrated the competence “Apply Medical First Aid On Board Ship” of Table A-II/1 of the STCW Code; --AND—
(13) Satisfy the “Medical Care Person” In Charge training requirements of Section A-VI/4 and Table A-VI/4-2 of the STCW Code and will be considered to have successfully demonstrated the competence “Organize and Manage the Provision of Medical Care On Board” of Table A-II/2 of the STCW Code; --AND—
(14) Satisfy the training and examination requirements of 46 CFR 12.10-3(a)(6) and 46 CFR 12.10-5 and may be issued an endorsement as Lifeboatman; --AND—
(15) Satisfy the requirements of Section A-VI/2 and Table A-VI/2-1 of the STCW Code, “Specification of the Minimum Standard of Competence in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats Other Than Fast Rescue Boats”; --AND—
(16) Satisfy the tanker familiarization, oil tanker and chemical tanker training requirements of paragraphs 1-21 of Section A-V/1 of the STCW Code; --AND—
(17) Satisfy the service requirements of 46 CFR 13.403(2) and the training requirements of 46 CFR 13.409 for an original endorsement as Tankerman-Assistant DL and may be issued an endorsement as Tankerman-Assistant DL; --AND—
(18) Satisfy the training requirements of 46 CFR 13.209 or 13.309 for an endorsement as Tankerman-PIC (DL) or Tankerman-PIC (Barge)(DL). It will be necessary to provide evidence that the service and cargo transfer requirements of 46 CFR 13.203, 13.205, 13.303, and/or 13.305 have been satisfied before issuance of a Tankerman-PIC endorsement; --AND—
(19) Satisfy the requirements of Table A-VI/2-2 of the STCW Code, “Specification of the Minimum Standard of Competence in Fast Rescue Boats.”

Note that the regulations cited in this approval are from before the large rule chnage in 2013 and may not be the same today.

1 Like

Roger that, except several of my CMA classmates, submitted their letter/certificate, same as mine for their last renewal after the 2017 change, and were not given the restriction on their license…it sounds like if I had submitted that when I renewed in 2020 I would not be facing this problem

I am in the same boat pun intended. I graduated SUNY in 2012 and my credential reads the same now. I was on tugs so it didn’t matter to me. Now I am looking at some OSV offers and may have to find a class to make myself more marketable.

1 Like