ECDIS and VPEN Requirements for C/M

I understand that one must take ECDIS within one year of taking VPEN to satisfy an upgrade from 2/M to C/M. Does this still apply if the applicant has ECDIS before VPEN? I cannot seem to locate this regulation in the CFR’s, PL04-02 or STCW A-II/2 table…Any thoughts?

[QUOTE=Pope Yohe;73510]I understand that one must take ECDIS within one year of taking VPEN to satisfy an upgrade from 2/M to C/M. Does this still apply if the applicant has ECDIS before VPEN? I cannot seem to locate this regulation in the CFR’s, PL04-02 or STCW A-II/2 table…Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Currently, you do not need either for Chief Mate. Per recent appeal decisions, we cannot require courses that are not specified in the CFR. Note that this is current policy, but is subject to change if the Coast Guard publishes new regulatiions implementing the 2010 amendments to STCW.

The above notwithstanding, the approval for MITAGS and PMI courses was to meet a requirement in Policy Letter 4-02 (as noted above, now unenforceable) for “Advanced Navigation.” The approval of the courses specifically stated they meet the “Advanced Navigation” requirements for Chief Mate (the NMC does not require schools to use specific names for their courses, the NMC gives an approval that correlates the school’s name with the course name in the CFR. For example, “Anyone completing your 99-hour Animal Husbandry course will meet the ARPA training requirements of 46 CFR 11.205.” With PMI and MITAGS, they elected to meet the policy letter 4-02 requirement for Advanced Navigation with two courses, ECDIS and “VPEN.” RTM STAR Center calls their course “STCW Upgrade Navigation.”

The one year of each other provision is standard when a school uses more than one course to meet a single requirement.

the 2010 amendments to STCW will require ECDIS training for anyone on a vessel with ECDIS after 12/31/2017. The Coast Guard has proposed, but not yet published as final or implemented regulations that will enact this part of STCW 2010.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;73532]The one year of each other provision is standard when a school uses more than one course to meet a single requirement.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the quick response and clarification.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;73532]Per recent appeal decisions, we cannot require courses that are not specified in the CFR.[/QUOTE]

If I can go on a slightly tangent in regards to your line above in: As a 2/M Unlimited Oceans and 1600T Oceans Master upgrading to C/M Unlimited Oceans, would I still be required to submit the 53 control sheets even though I already have II/2 listed on my MMC? 46 CFR 11.903© table indicates that for II/2 that parts 1,2 are for C/MM and 3,4 are for Master 500-1600T. In the STCW code I cannot locate any ‘parts 1,2,3,4’ for II/2. The code just states that A-II/2 is “Mandatory minimum requirements for certification of masters and chief mates on ships of 500 gross tonnage or more.” I must be missing something.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;73532]“Anyone completing your 99-hour Animal Husbandry course will meet the ARPA training requirements of 46 CFR 11.205.”[/QUOTE]

Hahaha!

Yes, the assessments (control sheets) must still be completed and submitted. Only the class themselves are not required.

[QUOTE=Pope Yohe;73589]Thanks for the quick response and clarification. If I can go on a slightly tangent in regards to your line above in: As a 2/M Unlimited Oceans and 1600T Oceans Master upgrading to C/M Unlimited Oceans, would I still be required to submit the 53 control sheets even though I already have II/2 listed on my MMC? 46 CFR 11.903© table indicates that for II/2 that parts 1,2 are for C/MM and 3,4 are for Master 500-1600T. In the STCW code I cannot locate any ‘parts 1,2,3,4’ for II/2. The code just states that A-II/2 is “Mandatory minimum requirements for certification of masters and chief mates on ships of 500 gross tonnage or more.” I must be missing something.
![/QUOTE]
You need the assessments. Unlike OICNW where there is a single STCW endorsement for mate 500, mate 1600 and 3rd mate and 2nd mate, you would be getting a different II/2 endorsement. We issue STCW endorsements for II/2 for not more than than 1600 GRT/3000 GT and for more than 1600 GRT/3000 GT

Yeah, that’s what I figured. Thanks.