Drinking Before Watch

If I recall correctly, you can’t have a drink less than 4 hours before standing watch, and your BAC can’t be above 0.04. Is this right? My search-foo isn’t strong today and I can’t seem to find an answer.

Not sure about the hours before watch, but .04 is the legal limit for crewmembers of a commercial vessel.

There’s us a reg on this but I can’t remember it exactly, however i do know that 90% of the companies out there have surpassed it by a long shot. One going as far as telling its employees no drinking within 72 hrs of reporting for duty. Now thats in the GOM. When I sailed tankers a six pack a day was allowed and most did partake!

I work for MSC. My ship just got in port after being at sea for 44 days. Apparently 45 days is the magic number where the ship has to provide beer rations, though from what I hear, they’ll do anything they can to avoid having to give them out.

For us, a 0.01 will cost you your job.

Msc does not " have to" provide beer rations at 45 days. It’s a USN thing that " allows" beer after 45 days at sea. Msc and USN ships can serve alcohol onboard during social functions if they choose to ( visiting dignitaries etc). I had more than a few beer at sea events on day 45. The only rule then was watch personnel would need to have theirs after watch. I personally never tried anything to avoid the beer at sea event myself, and enjoyed the ones we had. ( but I’d rather not be at sea 45 days in the first place).

[QUOTE=screwdriver;117376]If I recall correctly, you can’t have a drink less than 4 hours before standing watch, and your BAC can’t be above 0.04. Is this right? My search-foo isn’t strong today and I can’t seem to find an answer.[/QUOTE]

That’s right,USCG rules are 4 hrs before watch or 0.04 BAC. Company or ship policy may be more strict.

My first ship had a bar in the officers lounge. Ahh, the good old days… although the only people I ever saw use it were two dayworker engineers. Company policy (at the time, I’m sure all their ships are dry now) was no less than four hours before watch and 0.04 limit.

I also remember drinking once while in the wardroom when I was in the Navy, it was the fourth of July, we were in Bahrain and we invited the officers from a British ship over for beer and wine. It was a very cordial affair. The next day the British invited us over to their ship and we all got trashed. Those Royal Navy guys know how to throw a good party!

Why even bother risking it? I have a personal rule to not drink the last day I’m home. Hell getting a DUI these days pretty much means a suspended license even for AB’s and QMEDS.

Now 72 hrs before showing up is just nuts. How in the hell would they know anyway as it takes one hour for each beer you drink to leave your system. If you car drink so much that it takes 3 days to sober up then you might want to think about going to a meeting or two…

I do know that if you are going to drive the carry all for Seacor they make you do a breath test before leaving the office.

Yeah, back in the day, I would drink up until the night before I had to rejoin. Of course sometimes after going over the voyage with my relief, we would both then head to the local. Things were a bit different in those pre-EXXON VALDEZ days. . . .

I always take 3 or 4 shots of Patron before I take the controls. It makes things soooo much better.

Well, our field season abruptly ended yesterday (not at liberty to say why), so the scientists and most of the crew tied a good one on last night. My turn tonight. This has been a real bummer of a tour. Great bunch to work with though.

On booze in general: I enjoy a few cocktails but before a watch? If its show time I try to keep my evening light. On the other hand, We have a few here who probably need rehab…:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=cmakin;117412]Yeah, back in the day, I would drink up until the night before I had to rejoin. Of course sometimes after going over the voyage with my relief, we would both then head to the local. Things were a bit different in those pre-EXXON VALDEZ days. . . .[/QUOTE]
I’ve heard of turn-overs in Stoney’s. LOL!

I remember my first carry-all ride from Freeport Tx to Morgan City. The captain was happy to hear I was old enough to drive. We stopped at the first liquor store where he set back behind the wheel, unscrewed the cap off a fifth of Old Forrester and tossed it out the window. He was toasted at the state line where I took the wheel and drove the rest of the way. It’s a long trip being the only one sober with a bunch of drunks!

[QUOTE=AHTS Master;117416]I always take 3 or 4 shots of Patron before I take the controls. It makes things soooo much better.[/QUOTE]

I worked on a tug “yanking hanks” for a crane barge. It was OK in the morning but the captain was a little heavy on the throttle in the afternoon. You had to be quick on your feet working the back deck.

[QUOTE=injunear;117418]I’ve heard of turn-overs in Stoney’s. LOL!

I remember my first carry-all ride from Freeport Tx to Morgan City. The captain was happy to hear I was old enough to drive. We stopped at the first liquor store where he set back behind the wheel, unscrewed the cap off a fifth of Old Forrester and tossed it out the window. He was toasted at the state line where I took the wheel and drove the rest of the way. It’s a long trip being the only one sober with a bunch of drunks![/QUOTE]

Stoney’s on that side of Florida, Freddie’s or the Southport Raw Bar on the other. . . . Or the Three Crowns outside of the Fina refinery in Port Arthur. Nope, never heard of them. Because we were coastwise/seagoing, I never had to deal with the van/hotshot. I do, now, at times. I remember demobing some years ago in Sabine Pass and heading back to our cars in Fourchon. Lots of stops made to fill up and then to pump bilges. I did one last year and no stops were made. . . . but I slept on my way back to Houma. . .

Do you all not get “all hands on deck” calls at random times, or is that a sailing only thing?
I pretty much confine it to one rum and coke at sunset offshore.

Agh…the good old days. Once I was so drunk sailing from Anchorage, and had the wheel leaving port. The only reason I got away with it was because the captain and the pilot were as drunk as I was.
I never did that again, and that was 1978-79?. I much prefer to be in control of my facilties.
In 2013, a 12 pack will last me 14 days.
And never before watch.

I can remember getting 2 of those Navy beer days back to back. Did 105 days. Everyone onboard got 2 beers. Bud or Heineken. I was amazed at the number of folks that didnt drink. They sold theirs for 5 or 6 bucks apiece. We were in the Northern Arabian Sea, dropped anchor, BBQ and boxing matches on Steel Beach. Dropped cargo nets over the side and had swim call. Back in spring '84. Thanks for stiring up those great old memories.

[QUOTE=injunear;117418]I’ve heard of turn-overs in Stoney’s. LOL!

I remember my first carry-all ride from Freeport Tx to Morgan City. The captain was happy to hear I was old enough to drive. We stopped at the first liquor store where he set back behind the wheel, unscrewed the cap off a fifth of Old Forrester and tossed it out the window. He was toasted at the state line where I took the wheel and drove the rest of the way. It’s a long trip being the only one sober with a bunch of drunks![/QUOTE]

Been there, done that.

[QUOTE=yacht_sailor;117433]Do you all not get “all hands on deck” calls at random times, or is that a sailing only thing?
I pretty much confine it to one rum and coke at sunset offshore.[/QUOTE]

When I was sailing on ocean tugs and ATBs, I don’t know that I ever drank onboard. I know that I never brought any booze on. With a smaller crew and larger responsibilities, it just wasn’t a good idea. Now, with ships, it was a different story. Going ashore and drinking? Well. . . . .

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=RichM;117436]Agh…the good old days. Once I was so drunk sailing from Anchorage, and had the wheel leaving port. The only reason I got away with it was because the captain and the pilot were as drunk as I was.
I never did that again, and that was 1978-79?. I much prefer to be in control of my facilties.
In 2013, a 12 pack will last me 14 days.
And never before watch.[/QUOTE]

Man, do I have some stories. . . . I got away with it largely because I came to and had full control of my facilities before the captain did, always went drinking with the captain and was generally in full control of my facilities, even if I didn’t recall getting the engine room ready for sailing. . . although I only did THAT once or twice. . . It was a wonder that I made it to 30 years old in one piece and not living under an overpass. . .