Drilling company camparison for DPO

[QUOTE=“Cap16;109133”]Sounds like a bunch of hawsepipers who regret the decisions they’ve made and want to make sure everyone else does the same. Academy grads have paid their dues the same as everyone one else. Truth be told the academy route is more challenging. If it wasn’t everyone would be going. Why should an academy grad spend years on deck scrubbing your toilets when don’t have to? You really think you would do the same if the alternative offered more money and more time at home?[/QUOTE]

Those are a couple of pretty broad statements. Seems to me that unless you’ve done it both ways, it would be difficult to say with certitude which route is more challenging. There are some hawsepipers out here who never graduated high school and are terrific boat handlers and technical experts. There also are some of us who went to college and did other things before working out here - doesn’t mean we paid our boat dues or learned what we need to know for this job.

Being a DPO is neat; “Look at all the buttons I can push and make the boat do cool things!”

You better be able to maneuver clear if the poo hits the fan, that is why the DPO is in the chair. 19 yrs on a license with 10 of them handling ships and the last three in oil field; I don’t claim to be the best boathandler in the world but I think I know a bit more and have “a bit” more experience than a first issue 3/M. If you want to chase that is fine but the isn’t going to help you one bit IF something major goes south and your bag of tricks is small.

Just sayin’ . . . and, as others have said, it doesn’t make Academy grads look like a good investment to a boat company.

Cap16 sounds like someone we had on board that tried to convince me that people had more respect academy kids over hawsepipers

[QUOTE=Cap16;109133]Sounds like a bunch of hawsepipers who regret the decisions they’ve made and want to make sure everyone else does the same. Academy grads have paid their dues the same as everyone one else. Truth be told the academy route is more challenging. If it wasn’t everyone would be going. Why should an academy grad spend years on deck scrubbing your toilets when don’t have to? You really think you would do the same if the alternative offered more money and more time at home?[/QUOTE]

This is exactly the type of mouthy — know it all (but know nothing) — snot nose academy kid attitude that makes them less welcome.

He paid his dues y’all!!! BWAHAHAHAHAH

Lolz I am (was) an “academy kid”, but I did time on deck during school and for a few brief periods after’, Years aren’t necessarily required but AS one I think its important to break down jimmy license boy for a few months in the hot sun with a paintbrush. If all he knows is that “by doing a good job as AB you will get your shot at the wheelhouse” but with no time limit defined he will have a spring in his step. Those who are lazy, well no shot for you. If you’re a lazy AB out of school you’ll make a GREAT mate/DPO!!! Its a way to weed out the suckers.

yeehaw payin mAH dews evreeeday!

Tool bag…

Yep got a whole bag of tools with more sea time and experience than you.

Good one faggot… That makes no sense. What do you know about my experience or sea time? Besides, you have a chief license, chief steward I’m sure. Why don’t you go use the search function you piece of shit and quit hounding on people for asking a question that was asked five years ago and is full of outdated information.

Oooh boy now it’s getting good.

Dude can it. You didn’t even make the original post! Why are you so twisted? Drilling company threads are all over gCaptain… multiple times and with fresh info. Do some research first, then maybe come back with a specific question or 2, not “hey I’m a new 3/m, I’m going to screw my company now that I’m a dpo, which drill company pays the most?” I stand by my statement that this is the reason good, competent mariners are either getting turned down or told they are going on deck for a year or 2.

Don’t have the time today junior. I’m over here in the shipyard getting ready to take delivery of the first of our 24 new boats. Where are you working today? I wasn’t hounding anyone I was trying to illustrate how the search function works. I’ve got to get back to the galley and flip these burgers and check on the fries.

Hey now, don’t be all disrespectful to Scott, he’s from GLMA !! In case you weren’t sure, or wondered about it, he made it a part of his screen name just to remind us all every time he posts.
Y’all are getting Scotty boy all flustered when you belittle him, he’s lashing out and calling one of the more helpful members of this community a faggot.
Stop the madness !!

Damn, I go to sleep and wake up, and this thread just went to shit! Does anyone remember that song from Eurotrip? “Cause Scotty doesn’t know,” It fits in quite well here.

[QUOTE=“PDCMATE;109208”]Damn, I go to sleep and wake up, and this thread just went to shit! Does anyone remember that song from Eurotrip? “Cause Scotty doesn’t know,” It fits in quite well here.[/QUOTE]

Perfect! hahahahahahahahahaha

Oh man…I gotta crack a cold one and watch this thread. Remember that thread a few years back with…what the Hell was his name…

Hey all,

I have a 1600 ton master license with ocean endorsement. I work for HOS and have over 20 years of experience on OSV’s. I hope to soon have 6000 ITC assessments signed off ,and then eventually get 3rd mate assessments signed off while I am studying the material.

I don’t have any drill ship or rig experience but I drive past Ensco’s Broussard office almost every day. I subscribe to Work Boat and Go Gulf magazines, so I think I could adjust pretty well. I hope it doesn’t come down to me having to leave HOS. Once I get the documents and show them to my operations coordinator, they’ll will get right on acquiring or building a drill ship because that’s what I deserve. If any of you could help me out by sending your study material and notes, I would appreciate it.

Before you go pointing sticks at me about the search function, I cannot seem to find e-mails and personal cel phone numbers of all the presidents and CEO’s of all the major companies. I have considered submitting applications but have decided against that since it would require effort on my part. I really want to get my foot in the door and will take any position except the ones I feel I’m overqualified for. All the other people who have been there longer or have more experience don’t matter because they are not me.

You know how these sumbitchin kids are these days with they fancy degrees and they book larnin and all that mess cuz they learned how to reed an right dem fancy scribblins and such…

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;109241]You know how these sumbitchin kids are these days with they fancy degrees and they book larnin and all that mess cuz they learned how to reed an right dem fancy scribblins and such…[/QUOTE]

Fraq: For some reason your attached pictures don’t open up anymore.

We’re 70/30 over here with the 70% being able to see the pics and 30 not. Doesn’t seem to matter wether its the browser or the app. I dunno what’s going on with that. Had two guys standing next to me with iPhones earlier. One could see one couldn’t.