Dreams vs Reality- Harbor-tug boat work question

So I’ll say what I want to do and what I dream about and I hope someone can tell me if this is a realistic or pipe dream goal. I want to go to Suny Maritime and get the MS in Marine transportation with Coast guard 3rd mate unlimited license in about 3 years. Then, after that I want to work on a boat in the NY Harbor (Like a tug boat), and I want to make about $100,000 a year or more, and work 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. I don’t want to go Blue Water because I have a serious girlfriend/potential wife. However, if I didn’t have one I would sail the Ocean Blue. Is this dream realistic? Im 29 and looking for this type of lifestyle. If NY Harbor is difficult to find work, is there any other region in the country that would allow you to work on a boat with good pay as a 3rd mate and have a 2 weeks on/off rotation or less? Are these jobs very difficult to come by, and what are some of the obstacles to getting this set up? Is this line of work declining or rising? Thanks in advance for any help. I have checked the forums and found stuff that kind of answers this question, but nothing very modern (2014).

Where is c.captain on this one? We are all waiting with baited breath on a responce.

We need a pic of your GF to better answer the questions.

Preferably horizontal and vertically composed

Lol keep dreaming!!!

Not a pipe dream my friend but you have to realize you are not going to come out of college making 100k on a tugboat. The potential is there, just not out of the gate. You have to gain the practical know how of “tug boating” and this can only be obtained by spending time on deck. (AB)

Ideally I’d like to make 100k a year getting blown by Kate upton, does anyone know if I can attend a baseball academy and make this happen?

I would only Consider that a good deal if I could do it while working on a tugboat in NY, and without my beloved girlfriend finding out.

Thank you kindly for not wanting to sail blue water. I hear this all the time and it will mean that only old farts like me will be available for the work.

Thanks for helping me stay employed.

Of course, your dreams of 100k for even time rotation right out of school made me laugh so much, I wet my Depends.

Have a nice holiday!

in retrospect I would not want to be blown, rather f___ her t____s. For hours.    But being blown as collateral damage is ok. 

When working 6/6 on a tug as mate it would take place every morning around 1000; ideally.

What you’re asking for is out there and highly desirable. People with experience and good connections hold those jobs. As a new, inexperienced and unconnected graduate your odds of getting what you describe is low.

Thanks everyone-
this was all helpful, both the content and the tone of the responses allows me to gauge what its going to be like. I guess once you put in your time, and you like doing it, its a sweet gig.

“Thanks everyone-
this was all helpful, both the content and the tone of the responses allows me to gauge what its going to be like. I guess once you put in your time, and you like doing it, its a sweet gig.”

HOLY SHIT! I guess you would have been happy with ANY response.

This is a joke question/ posting right?