DPO Limited v Unlimited cert?

What is the difference between DPO Limited and Unlimited certification? The eligibility and sea service requirements for the issue of the 2 levels of certification is clearly explained so I understand all of that, and also what’s required to upgrade, but I can’t find any info defining the operational restrictions/limitations imposed on the limited certificate holder upon being issued a DPO limited certificate? Can anyone explain?

Limited is valid for class 1 dp systems only. Unlimited or unrestricted is valid for class 1, 2, or 3 systems. The class is based on system redundancy.

[QUOTE=kapitaan;117290]What is the difference between DPO Limited and Unlimited certification? The eligibility and sea service requirements for the issue of the 2 levels of certification is clearly explained so I understand all of that, and also what’s required to upgrade, but I can’t find any info defining the operational restrictions/limitations imposed on the limited certificate holder upon being issued a DPO limited certificate? Can anyone explain?[/QUOTE]

I think you are asking: what job opportunitites sre available with DP-1 certificate.

Good question.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;117431]I think you are asking: what job opportunitites sre available with DP-1 certificate.

Good question.[/QUOTE]
60 days logged on DP2 vessel over any period ( post basic course and your 30 days between basic and advance)is the requirement to upgrade

In order to obtain a unlimited DP certificate you must have at least 180 days of DP time. You must have at least 60 days or more on a vessel that is class 2 or class 3 in order to obtain a unlimited certificate.

If you have DP1 time logged after advance class then you will have to have 240 days of time with at least 60 days being on DP2 or DP3 class vessel. Now if you already have a limited certificate then all you need is 60 days on a DP2 or DP3 class vessel.

[QUOTE=cajuntugster;117429]Limited is valid for class 1 dp systems only. Unlimited or unrestricted is valid for class 1, 2, or 3 systems. The class is based on system redundancy.[/QUOTE]

Thanks that makes sense. So basically a DPO limited Cert holder is restricted to being an OOW on DP1 vessels only yeah?

Yes that’s correct limited certificate is for DP-0 and DP-1.

DP-0 will not get you any certificate at all. Limited is DP-1, unlimited is 2 and 3.

The boat has to be classed and in the NI database.

Legally, certified DPO’s are not required on any class vessel. It’s a customer/company requirement.

I just read that the DP days have been cut to 120 days and there’s no more limited and unlimited. What’s up with that?

In actuality, DP-0 is really not DP at all, because there in no vertical reference involved. DP-0 is sort of like “pretend” DP. At least as far as the Nautical institute is concerned.

NI still has the same 220 day training scheme…but I’ve heard it may change.

The difference?

Dp 2 license = job
Dp 1 license = no job

Speaking from my experience, of course. :*{

I am applying for my DP Certification (unlimited) and I have a question about the sea time filing on the website. It ask for the[U] Dates of Arrive and the Departure[/U], then automatically calculates the time and logs it as hours of familiarization. What If you spend 30 days onboard and only have 10 days of DP time. How can I make the online application reflect that, or do I not need too? Do they just use that to verify time onboard a vessel and use the company DP Sea time letter for actual DP time?
Thanks,
Josh